Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greatest sportsman of our generation

2»

Comments

• Options
    i wondered why he sprung to mind when you mentioned motor racing and bland in the same sentance.

steve davis? steven hendry?
  • Options
    michael johnson all day long.a proper sporting legend that was streets ahead of his rivals and with no question marks into his integrity.michael phelps isn't too bad either.
  • Options
    Eric Cantona..... purely for his expertise in Kung Fu.
  • Options
    Medders, you are bang on. fact

Its Cantona for sure.
  • Options
    Cantona, average footballer made good by a poor league.

Greatest of my life time, Cliff Thorburn hehehe

Serious, Tiger Woods or Steve Redgrave
  • Options
    Im going for Tiger & Jordan.
  • Options
    In seriousness, it's a real tough question.

I'd go for Steve Redgrave. 5 time gold medalist - great achievement, even more so when you consider he's also diabetic. Huge achievement. Also in a sport that technology (Ithink Carlsberg has a valid point) has hardly had an effect on. Yeah training schedules and diet may be more scientific but at the end of the day, a row boat will always be a row boat.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    English sportsman has to be Carl Fogerty - sustained success but so, so overlooked.

All hail The Frog
  • Options
    If you think about F1 and accept that he now does not qualify as it is more than 10 years since his death then Ayrton Senna was imperious, better than Schumacher by miles.

Last 10 years as well brings up Richard Burns the only English World Rally Champion who died two years ago from a brain tumour.

Off to the Goodwood revival festival on 01/09/06, have to wear a tie to get into the paddock, how standards have slipped.
  • Options
    Tie for the paddock ? deary me.

I like medders point about the limited technical impact on rowing. However, none of us really know just how much of a major impact Redgrave had on the teams he rowed in. The real excellence could of been down to Pinsent, for example.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2006
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    I like medders point about the limited technical impact on rowing. However, none of us really know just how much of a major impact Redgrave had on the teams he rowed in. The real excellence could of been down to Pinsent, for example.

2 of his 5 golds were without Pinsent........ and all of them were a mix of pairs and fours, coxed and coxless, so I'm a firm believer that Redgrave was the man at the very top of his sport during his 20+ year run in the sport.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Great thread!!!

For me, Redgrave has to be there- the length of time at the top is testament to his drive and quality. Martina Navaratlova (sheer impact/ longevity) and Tiger Woods (total domination against quality oposition) make up my other two.
  • Options
    How could you all forget our sporting super hero Eddie "the Eagle" Edwards.

what a man!
  • Options
    My eldest daughter used to sit next to Eddie The Eagle in lectures at uni.

How's that for a claim to fame?
  • Options
    Says a lot more about youre age Len ;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]Says a lot more about youre age Len ;-)

Cheeky young whippersnapper!!

He was a mature student at the time!
  • Options
    see Federer won the US Open again at the weekend. Like Wimbledon, has one the last three US Opens and has now won the US Open, Wimbledon and Australian Open this year.

Unbelievable how anyone can remain so consistent.
  • Options
    Lack of real competition or just greatness?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]Lack of real competition or just greatness?

You can only beat what's put in front of you.......
  • Options
    Schumaker's career ended yesterday, shame he couldn't end it on a high.

Not a big fan of motor sports, but he will be a massive loss to the sport. In my mind the greatest driver of all time as he has done it over time, and not always with the best car.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely loathed the bloke. In my mind, a cheat, an arrogant a...hole. Had a silly smirk on my face yesterday when he got the puncture.

Not sure about your best car comments though. He only raced for 3 teams, one of them for one race only. Rest of the time he was in teams with big budgets (huge at Ferrari). 'Team tactics' also helped him in a big way at Ferrari, with his partner often forced to move over for him during races.

I'm glad he's gone, and hopeful for more closer racing in the future.
  • Options
    Steve Redgrave and Phil Taylor for me
  • Options
    Giant Haystacks...