Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Arthur Crew - Lest We Forget

CREW, ARTHUR Stoker 2nd Class Royal Navy Died 02/10/1918

One name of many recorded by the Commonwealth War Graves Commision

His significance to this site? He is sole CWGC burial is the Old Charlton Church Yard (St Thomas) in Woodland Terrace so is the closest war grave to the Valley.

There are a further 113 CWGC burials in Charlton Cemetery, Cemetery Lane, SE7 close to Charlton Park and the QE Hospital.

Lest We Forget

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/42103/OLD CHARLTON (ST. THOMAS) CHURCHYARD

Comments

• Interesting. The exact spelling of my surname (it's not Jones if anyone hasn't guessed yet). I will do a bit of asking and see if he's related.
  • Soapy Crew - what sort of name is that?
  • If you want, I can give you further info from ancestry.co.uk about Arthur Charles Crew's parents, siblings and wife, address in 1911 census, etc. He was on HMS Cumberland and did not die as a result of enemy action. As this site is publicly visible, I haven't posted anything which could be useful to an id thief.

It toughens one up I can tell you!
  • edited July 2014

If you want, I can give you further info from ancestry.co.uk about Arthur Charles Crew's parents, siblings and wife, address in 1911 census, etc. He was on HMS Cumberland and did not die as a result of enemy action. As this site is publicly visible, I haven't posted anything which could be useful to an id thief.

Thanks, PM that link if you still want to.

We are mostly from all over the South East London area and the spelling without the "e" at the end is unusual. Name appears to be prevalent around the Gloucestershire and Somerset area, so I guess we may be carrot crunchers who got lost and never made it back out of the Smoke.

First name Alexandra ......?