Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

the importance of the fulham result on boxing day

edited April 2007 in General Charlton
we all said at the time that we hope that dreadful decision by the lino on boxing day didn't cost us and just looking at the table now and seeing we are three points behind fulham with our goal difference just one behind is really making my blood boil.

Comments

• Options
    SAme. Cant believe it absolute joke. If that sends us down i'm afraid i'll have to hunt that lino down and savage him with a specsavers sign and a flag. The club should sue.
  • Options
    well I think Graham Poll paid us back not sending off Song after that ridiculous challenge on Sidwell and then gesturing to Pards that if he didn't sub him the kid was gonna go. Also everyone is thinking we will beat Sheff Utd. Watching them today they are a big strong team who will cause us problems and they will be happy with a point. Tomorrow's game is pivotal....beat them and we move up 3 places if Spurs do us a favor. fecking West Ham...they laid down today and let Sheff roll all over them....
  • Options
    That resullt won't be what sends us down (if we go down) being crap for 50% of the season will bwe to blame, not one poor decision by a ref.
  • Options
    and conceding a last minute goal at sheff utd
  • Options
    Think we've ridden our luck over the last few weeks, and as well as the Song situation El Kak could easily have conceded at least one penalty.

The Fulham thing led to a free-kick, but we still should have been able to clear it.

As Stu says, we're near the bottom because of performances throughout the first half of the season, and not being able to pick up any points from the games at Villa, Reading, Sheff Utd, Wigan, Fulham, Boro etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]Think we've ridden our luck over the last few weeks, and as well as the Song situation El Kak could easily have conceded at least one penalty.

The Fulham thing led to a free-kick, but we still should have been able to clear it.

As Stu says, we're near the bottom because of performances throughout the first half of the season, and not being able to pick up any points from the games at Villa, Reading, Sheff Utd, Wigan, Fulham, Boro etc.

Well, if we've ridden our luck over the past few weeks, then luck bit us in the arse today.

That was cruel!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Too right Oggy
  • Options
    Never mind, Len....all part of the roller-coaster.

SheffYoo get beat by ManYoo midweek.

We beat them on Saturday, then we're above them.

Just need Fulham to carry on being cack.
    Surely, THEIR luck has already been used up?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]That resullt won't be what sends us down (if we go down) being crap for 50% of the season will bwe to blame, not one poor decision by a ref.

Totally agree. Every team has hard luck stories (except Manure of course cos they are just ar*ehole lucky). Whatever happens at the end of the season, our league position will have been determined by a totally crap first half/two thirds of the season. Losing today is unlucky but no disgrace. It's just that we are running out of fixtures to put things right.
  • Options
    Win on Saturday, and we are out of the bottom 3.

Everyone at the bottom is running out of fixtures.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All Left Foot sums it up well - we are where we are because we were awful from October to Pards' arrival. As for the Fulham goal, well the lino only gave them a late free kick - it was our players who gave them the goal.

If I had to pick one game that should have made a difference it would be Boro away - Boro were truly shocking at the time, but under Les Reed our players couldn't beat an egg.
  • Options
    Please everyone stop harking back to things like the Fulham game or Taroe's sending off against West Ham etc, everything does, more or less, equal itself over a season. We have had some good luck and some bad, we've played well at times and lost and vice-versa.
    If we go down then we deserve to, simple as that. However I don't think we will.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    You could also look at the points we've taken off promoted teams - Watford two draws, Reading, one draw and a defeat, Sheff Utd, beaten away. Three points from five games against promoted sides isn't good enough, neither is our away record: one win and four draws.

But what's done is done and there's no point moping over spilt milk, the fact is that we still have our destiny in our hands and need a bit of luck from elsewhere.

Ideally Man U turn over Sheff Utd midweek and then we beat them on Saturday and move ahead of them on GD. Fulham have Blackburn at home followed by tough games against Arsenal and Liverpool. Blackburn is a must win game for them, especially as their GD is poor.

The bottom line is we are still in it and success is as much about who wants it. Yesterday we all but held a very good Everton side to a point, show that commitment over the next few games and we'll make the necessary luck. Forget bad refereeing decisions - as others have said they tend to balance themselves out, you might equally blame Lisbie for his last minute miss against Watford, but on the other hand had Blackburn lined their defensive wall up a bit better then El K's last minute free-kick would have been easily blocked and so it goes.

All that matters is Saturday and Sheff Utd, they won't be easy to beat and most likely will play for the draw, and I hope that JFH can finally offer Darren Bent some support in the striking department. Two goals conceded over these last few games underlines how strong our defense has been, but with just one scored it demonstrates just how weak we've been up front, even with Darren Bent. We need goals from here in.
  • Options
    Bang on, BFR. Well put.

All that matters IS Saturday and Sheff Utd.

We can't do anthing about other teams, and there's no point ar this time worrying about our other fixtures.
    One game.

I'm sure Pards will be saying just this to the players.
  • Options
    That decision on Boxing day was poor, but as Oggy says above, we need to beat Sheffield United - play well, forget the Ref and get on with the game. As much as we have had a bit of injustice, we have had decisions go our way which were borderline. We can do this - we can stay up!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Please everyone stop harking back to things like the Fulham game or Taroe's sending off against West Ham etc, everything does, more or less, equal itself over a season. We have had some good luck and some bad, we've played well at times and lost and vice-versa.
    If we go down then we deserve to, simple as that. However I don't think we will.