Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Has Anyone Been To Peru?

I know we have an amazingly well traveled bunch here on CL so I thought I'd try here for some practical, useful advice.

I have a work trip to Peru next month and all I know about the place is they speak Spanish and had a decent footballer in Juan Cubillas.

I will be in Lima for about three days, so any suggestions or tips on safety, things to see/do and local culture would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All.

Comments

• Yes but not Lima I am afraid (unless you include the airport!). Great holiday, friendly people, stunning scenery. How far are the Nazcar lines, can you fly from Lima? The one thing I would have liked but did not do. Make sure you chose a reputable company as there are some dodgy old, one propellor planes that go out there.
  • edited July 2014
  • Yes but not Lima I am afraid (unless you include the airport!). Great holiday, friendly people, stunning scenery. How far are the Nazcar lines, can you fly from Lima? The one thing I would have liked but did not do. Make sure you chose a reputable company as there are some dodgy old, one propellor planes that go out there.

Thanks mate, I think I will be mainly in Lima so won't get to travel around.

I suppose I was asking for that!
  • Always wanted to go. South America is the one place I never really travelled to when I was younger. Hope you have a great time - a few people I've worked with have been there and said Peru was the highlight of their South American travels.
  • Have been twice as my wife is Peruvian. As Athletico said friendly people and spectacular scenery. Bear in mind its one of the worlds poorest countries so dont flaunt
    your comparative wealth, be alert for pickpockets in Lima, I bought a cheap £5 watch for using there! Had no trouble but I was 'chaperoned ' by my wife.

To be honest I found Lima to be a dump, have been told the one place worth visiting is the Gold Museum. The up-market area is called Mira flores.
    The places to go are 1) Cusco and the Inca ruins and 2) Trip to the rain forest. They dont disappoint. At three days suppose you dont have time.
  • Like many developing countries, the capital Lima is the least pleasant part of the country! Sorry...

The gold museum from memory was ok, but the main sights are elsewhere in the country. I'm sure there may be sites accessible on a day trip
  • I worked in Lima back in 2007 to 2009, not there all the time as also had to work in other parts of the world during the same period. Lima is ok, if I remember rightly its known as the cloudy city, its very warm but the sun was rarely seen when I was there. As others have said beware of pickpockets and don't show that you have 'wealth' as such. Its a poor country but most people are very friendly and polite. I didn't get to see much as I was working, but there is a town square set up which is/was pedestrianised with lots of little restaurants on it.
    Enjoy your trip, remain alert and you will be fine.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm sure plenty of people have
  • Have always wanted to visit for Machu Picchu but havent had a chance as yet Im afraid
  • edited July 2014
    Yeah. I had a great time in Lima but I saw a brilliant football match (mental fans) and my favourite DJ. Go on Soccerway and they'll have fixtures. My hostel were advertising trips to a local island with wild penguins, I wish I'd done that.

I wouldn't bother with a gold museum, the one in Bogota is very boring.
  • Peruvians?
  • Peru really is stunning but sadly Lima isn't; as others have suggested, be careful not to flaunt expensive jewellery etc. From what I recall there's some Spanish colonial architecture but not too much else to keep you. That said, it'll all be new, so at least interesting. The spectacular nature of the surrounding scenery makes quick visits elsewhere difficult; inland the mountains rise very dramatically not far from the city, and overnight buses will take you to some beautiful spots, but not the famous ruins, most of which are more accesible from Cuzco. Lima also sits on the coast where there's a marked contrast between the stretch used by the better off city elite and the less developed areas.

Further up the coast Chimbote and Trujillo have fascinating traces of former civilisations too and might be a bit more accessible, but anywhere wil be difficult in such a short time. Have a great time, keep your eyes open, and spread the Charlton gospel!
  • Ive just been before the World Cup. Lima is a bit of a shith*le, especially in their winter (i.e. now) when it is just grey all the time. Miraflores is the upmarket area but I didn't even particularly rate this. Had a couple of good nights out there though. There's a very nice restaurant called Panchita which I would recommend. There is an area a bit down the coast from Miraflores (about 45 minute walk or 10 minute taxi) called Barranco which is quite nice, old colonial buildings etc. Worth going down there. The beach has a massive main road behind it with about a million cars tearing down it and is essentially pretty rank. The centre has an okay main square and thats about it. Theres a museum of catacombs which is quite interesting. I had lots of warnings about safety but generally felt fine as long as you're not stupid and take yourself off the beaten track. I felt more concerned about the rickety old bangers that the taxi drivers tear around like nutters in!

Generally I think most people fly into Lima and maybe spend 1 day there as its the main airport but thats about it. I was there for 3 days, anymore than that and I would have been getting very bored.

As others said, Cusco is the main tourist place and is very nice place to hang out for a few days albeit very touristy. Inca Trail etc, nice restaurants and bars more access to European standard luxury. The second city Arequipa also has a very nice old centre with nice restaurants and bars etc.

I also went up to this city called Iquitos in the Amazon on my over to Manaus for the England game. 2 hour flight from Lima. This is the largest city in the world you can't get to by road. Its not a place for nice restaurants and bars, but I thought it was pretty incredible for a couple of days. So different. Fronts onto the Amazon which is amazing, you can go off and do tours around the jungle, theres a floating city and market etc you can go round. Rammed full of tuk tuks which you race about in for about 30p.

There's a beach resort in the north called Mancora which is hot and sunny and a big party place. All depends what you're up for.
  • Local delicacy is guinea pig.
  • Thanks everyone who has given me some guidance here, very much appreciated.
  • In Lima, there a good museum of artifacts etc and you can also visit an ascienda where they train those fancy horses.
  • I've been. Try the turtle blood or guinea pig. Don't ask for directions - EVERYONE guesses and sends you in he wrong direction more often than not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Echo what others have said about Lima, the centre/old city is not really worth it apart from the old monastery/church of (what I think is called) San Francisco, which has the bones of all the old monks in the crypt. (I know well I am a Charlton fan) Miraflores is meant to be the posh bit but I never went there. Under circumstances eat the salad, no matter how posh the establishment!
  • I may be a bit late with this bit I am in Lima at the moment although I fly to El Salvador tomorrow! I have been in South America for over four months now and despite the long list of warnings on the FCO website I have found the place to be relatively safe on the whole. It feels a whole lot safer than Brazil! It was however my least favourite South American country by a long way, the people weren't a touch on the Chileans or Brazilians on the whole!

Lima as everyone has said is not the best city, it does have a fairly nice centre with some old colonial buildings. You can do a walking tour fairly easily which takes a few hours. That said most people stay in Miraflores which you will need to get the metro bus to the centre. Very easy but can be busy so watch out for your belongings! Next to the national stadium there is an impressive fountain/lights display. Well worth it and full of Peruvians and tourists. Again that is on the metro bus from Miraflores. Along the coast at Miraflores is a fairly nice walk, good for an early morning run if you fancy it! The chocolate museum is quite good, nice hot chocolate and they speak English in there as well. You can make your own chocolate there and I also nearly choked to death on a clove from my hot chocolate drink, what a way to go!

Personally the cuisine is monotonous but Lomo Saltado is good. A beef stir try with chips and rice. Regards salad I would be careful but I eat everything bar lettuce, it retains the water which makes you sick. Tomatoes and onions should be fine but I have had time to get used to the bacteria. For drinks you have to try Inca Kola, bright yellow and tastes of weird bubblegum! Cusqueña is the go to beer as well for me. Check the cap seal when you but bottled water, they do refill bottles with tap water, check it is 'mineral' and not 'fresca' or you may be ill.

Cusco is the main tourist place but Arequipa is really nice too. Nazca defo worth it, they have cleaned their act up it seems now. Flying is easier but buses vary between appalling to luxury. Oh one last thing, if you don't know any Spanish learn some, even the basics as things will be very difficult otherwise. Google translate is helpful if it decides to translate correctly!
  • APz said:

I may be a bit late with this bit I am in Lima at the moment although I fly to El Salvador tomorrow! I have been in South America for over four months now and despite the long list of warnings on the FCO website I have found the place to be relatively safe on the whole. It feels a whole lot safer than Brazil! It was however my least favourite South American country by a long way, the people weren't a touch on the Chileans or Brazilians on the whole!

Lima as everyone has said is not the best city, it does have a fairly nice centre with some old colonial buildings. You can do a walking tour fairly easily which takes a few hours. That said most people stay in Miraflores which you will need to get the metro bus to the centre. Very easy but can be busy so watch out for your belongings! Next to the national stadium there is an impressive fountain/lights display. Well worth it and full of Peruvians and tourists. Again that is on the metro bus from Miraflores. Along the coast at Miraflores is a fairly nice walk, good for an early morning run if you fancy it! The chocolate museum is quite good, nice hot chocolate and they speak English in there as well. You can make your own chocolate there and I also nearly choked to death on a clove from my hot chocolate drink, what a way to go!

Personally the cuisine is monotonous but Lomo Saltado is good. A beef stir try with chips and rice. Regards salad I would be careful but I eat everything bar lettuce, it retains the water which makes you sick. Tomatoes and onions should be fine but I have had time to get used to the bacteria. For drinks you have to try Inca Kola, bright yellow and tastes of weird bubblegum! Cusqueña is the go to beer as well for me. Check the cap seal when you but bottled water, they do refill bottles with tap water, check it is 'mineral' and not 'fresca' or you may be ill.

Cusco is the main tourist place but Arequipa is really nice too. Nazca defo worth it, they have cleaned their act up it seems now. Flying is easier but buses vary between appalling to luxury. Oh one last thing, if you don't know any Spanish learn some, even the basics as things will be very difficult otherwise. Google translate is helpful if it decides to translate correctly!

Great post mate, Chile without any doubt is the best South American country to visit in my opinion, the people will do absolutely anything for you to try and help you out, not that this helps the OP.

• APz said:

I may be a bit late with this bit I am in Lima at the moment although I fly to El Salvador tomorrow! I have been in South America for over four months now and despite the long list of warnings on the FCO website I have found the place to be relatively safe on the whole. It feels a whole lot safer than Brazil! It was however my least favourite South American country by a long way, the people weren't a touch on the Chileans or Brazilians on the whole!

That's great, much appreciated.

I am booking flights today actually and am going to have a full day spare for checking out Lima.

I have basic Spanish but am definitely going to be very careful about the food and water!
  • I was on a bus full of Chile fans to Brazil for the world cup, free beer and food from them plus lots of singing, great people! If you fancy doing the Nazca lines go on triparvisor and have a search of which company is best to go with, I can't remember who we went with but I lived and the guide got me a beer at the end.. Have a great time out there whatever you get up to!
  • i've not been that far afield in south america. but really enjoyed the valleys of southern ecuador in loja region end of last year. really, i find it is soooo hard to generalize about countries, as one valley or village can be very different to the next one, although i know i do not enjoy cities anywhere.
  • Lima's been a frequent travel site for us and it is a trip I always very much look forward to. We've not had issues with safety or getting around (we brought our eldest with us on the last visit).

I can understand the criticism of the megalopolis of Lima, but it is a neat place. To give yourself an option should you decide upon arrival that Lima is too big, too dirty, or too crowded, do some checking into tour options out to Caral. You can get there and back from Lima in the same day. We've been to Machu Picchu and Iquitos -- fantastic places -- but I was most impressed by Caral; its low-key, you can see archaeology in action, and it is a sincere privilege to be so close to pyramids (far more humble than those in Giza) built 4,000 years ago in the "New World."
  • Lima's been a frequent travel site for us and it is a trip I always very much look forward to. We've not had issues with safety or getting around (we brought our eldest with us on the last visit).

I can understand the criticism of the megalopolis of Lima, but it is a neat place. To give yourself an option should you decide upon arrival that Lima is too big, too dirty, or too crowded, do some checking into tour options out to Caral. You can get there and back from Lima in the same day. We've been to Machu Picchu and Iquitos -- fantastic places -- but I was most impressed by Caral; its low-key, you can see archaeology in action, and it is a sincere privilege to be so close to pyramids (far more humble than those in Giza) built 4,000 years ago in the "New World."

Thanks, I will look that up.