Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'Quantum Cheshire Cat' becomes reality

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-28543990

For those of you that like reading about this subject, this is quite an interesting development. In addition, CERN is starting back up again and the power is being boosted to 13 TeV (It can go 1 level higher) to hopefully give us some more discoveries around particle physics. Although I very much believe whatever they will discover will lead to more questions.

Comments

• Quantum physics makes my brain hurt
  • Quantum physics makes my brain hurt

Mine too. Do find it interesting though. Try astro physics, a tad more easier to get your head around......just a tad mind
  • Quantum physics makes quantum physicists' brains hurt!
  • Just started reading some Richard Feynman and light particles moving through a sheet of glass (or not) is enough to make my head hurt.
  • Stig said:

Just started reading some Richard Feynman and light particles moving through a sheet of glass (or not) is enough to make my head hurt.

It's pretty much impossible to get your head round unless you are educated to a high standard and as soon as the maths come in I'm screwed (I just about scraped a C at GCSE maths and science many years ago). However, I do enjoy it as a topic, particularly the astro physics. There are some decent books out there in non-physicist language. Try Lisa Randall 'Knocking on Heaven's Door'
  • Stella Artois makes my head hurt.
  • Cheers #cabbles - added to my wish list.
  • Physics in general really is the dog's nuts. Check this video out on superfluidity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z6UJbwxBZI
  • Quantum physics, I am in two minds about it at the same time.
  • ''SHUT UP... OR DIE!!!!!!!''

..................said the greatest quantum physicist to his cat

Things the Grandchildren Should Know

A heartbreaking, heartwarming, and oddlywhimsical memoir from acclaimed indie rocker Mark Oliver Everett of the Eels
    How does one young man survive the deaths of his entire family and manage to make something of his life? The insecure son of a misunderstood genius of quantum mechanics, Mark Oliver Everett's upbringing was "ridiculous, sometimes tragic, and always unstead." But somehow he survived this and ensuing tragedies, channeling his experiences into his critically acclaimed music with the Eels. Told with surprising candor, his memoir is an inspiring and remarkable story, full of hope, humor, and wry wisdom.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2014
    Stig said:

Just started reading some Richard Feynman and light particles moving through a sheet of glass (or not) is enough to make my head hurt.

The only thing I know is that it is impossible for light particles to move through the glass of a drug dealer's BMW. (Edited to add or a footballer's Audi Q7.)
  • I love all this stuff even though half the time I don't really know what they are talking about. But these people spend their lives learning and working on these things so it shouldn't really come as any surprise that it is beyond me and my woodwork O level.
    Before that video I thought a super fluid was a pint of Sam Adams ;-)
  • Am I allowed to comment huh? Just huh?