Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Removing/deleting app on i-phone 5

Dear Lifers. Does anyone know how to remove or delete an app on i-phone 5. I have tried holding down my finger on the app until the little x appears, but nowt is happening. At the moment, the app is darkened out with the word 'waiting' below, like it is still trying to download. I don't want it, but it's doing my OCD no good when I look at my home screen and there is just this solitary app sitting there.....

Comments

• try switching it off and on again
  • RedMist said:

try switching it off and on again

I've tried, the bloody thing is like a blemish on my screen, taunting me
  • I know that feeling man. Girlfriend wouldn't speak to me for weeks when she found my tinder app.
  • Sometimes when apps download updates without wifi they start, then pause (which would show as 'waiting').
    If you tap the app does it start installing/updating.

If not try going into the app store and search for the app, sometimes if problems arise during an update you can redownload/restart the update from the app store page.
    Then when it has updated you can delete it.
  • Sometimes when apps download updates without wifi they start, then pause (which would show as 'waiting').

If not try going into the app store and search for the app, sometimes if problems arise during an update you can redownload/restart the update from the app store page.

Thanks @stackitsteve. When I go to the app store it just says 'open', i click on that and it takes me directly through to the app. No possible way to delete it.

• If not try going into the app store and search for the app, sometimes if problems arise during an update you can redownload/restart the update from the app store page.

Always happens on mine and this is exactly what I do.

• Only other way I can think of is, is it synced with an iTunes account on a laptop etc.? you should be able to plug in the phone and then delete it from there.
  • Only other way I can think of is, is it synced with an iTunes account on a laptop etc.? you should be able to plug in the phone and then delete it from there.

no, I do it all through i-cloud. Bloody technology. I wish there was a little recycling bin, old school style. thanks anyway
  • edited August 2014
    cabbles said:

Sometimes when apps download updates without wifi they start, then pause (which would show as 'waiting').

Thanks @stackitsteve. When I go to the app store it just says 'open', i click on that and it takes me directly through to the app. No possible way to delete it.
    If you click the update tab in the app store and then 'purchased' it will show all apps purchased including those already deleted. Does the app still say 'open'?

Also, try signing out of the app store and signing back in.
  • You do it from Usage in the settings option
  • Sponsored links:

• You do it from Usage in the settings option

Thanks Peakie - It gave me the option to delete it, which I did, but still it sits there on my home screen saying 'waiting....'
  • All real iphone5 users put their finger in ear and shout ding a ling aling. ;o)
  • I've done it. It was as stackitsteve said, backed up on the app store. Don't know why it didn't do it before. Be gone you stupid app, all darkened out with 'waiting' next to it.

Administrators, please feel free to close this discussion.
  • Hold your finger on said app icon for 4 seconds and delete option pops up