Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who/What will be our biggest surprise this season - and biggest disappointment

Biggest surprises
For me I have a really good feeling about Gudmondsson. He has scored some awesome goals and I think he might just have the X factor. Pace, tricks and a wand of a left foot - I envision him as a mobile and pacy version of Ajdarevic/Reid and that excites me a lot.
Joe Gomez looks set to make his mark on the team this season and am positive he will be talked of as a future England star by anyone that watches him. We'll do well to get more than a season out of him as the big guns will come calling.
Goals Goals Goals - Contrary to pre season form, If we can get Delort alongside Vetokele, Big George, Moussa, Johann B Gud then I can see plenty of goals this season.

Potential disappointments
Callum Harriot has a big season ahead. How much longer can he be the "tricky youngster" about to break into the team. Undoubtedly talented but far too erratic for my liking.
Goalkeeping. This is my only real concern ahead of a long season. We've got a youngster who perhaps isn't yet ready to take the mantle as out #1 and we have a fairly highly rated other who has not played a great deal in his career thus far and has been happy to pick up a reported £20k a week as a number 2. Neither are really filling me with confidence so this might be an area that needs reviewing as the season progresses

Comments

• Options
    Biggest disappointment must surely be Delort after what has gone on over the last few days. That's assuming he actually signs of course.
  • Options
    Biggest surprise - Vetekole getting over 20 goals in his first season.

Biggest Disappointment - We still won't beat Millwall
  • Options
    You reckon Pope is on £20k a week????? OMG! Nobody, I repeat, nobody at Charlton is on £20k a week (not even Katriene!)! I blame Football Manager....
  • Options
    Ped45 said:

You reckon Pope is on £20k a week????? OMG! Nobody, I repeat, nobody at Charlton is on £20k a week (not even Katriene!)! I blame Football Manager....

You've not read that right - Pope is the GK not ready to be our #1

The other (Henderson) was on a reported £20k/week at West Ham

• Options
    Ped45 said:

I think he is referring to Henderson and his alleged wage at West Ham not Pope.
  • Options
    I have a feeling Vetokele is going to be shit hot this season. Can see him smashing one into the roof of the net in front of us on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    + Vetokele, Buyens

- Moussa, Henderson

Just guessing.
  • Options
    Surprise will be beating millwall and Vetokele

Disappointment will be Henderson and still not seeing solly as much
  • Options
    positives..............the pitch

negatives.............the players on it.

;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surprise will be George.

Disappointment Henderson
  • Options
    We will beat Millwall.

I will also have a night of passion with Kelly Brooke.

Still trying to work out which one is the bigger surprise.
  • Options
    Biggest surprise: Having another cup run.

Biggest disappointment: Crashing out against a team we should beat.
  • Options
    + George, the food at half time, the cute little CAFC badges on the side of the pitch, a possible apperance of KM at HT At the valley

- Buyens(looks off the pace so soon) Harriott (sorry fella) The login issue reoccuring on CL following a 0-4 defeat to Millwall.
  • Options
    + George & Vetokele
    - Solly (think he will miss more than he plays)
  • Options
    Biggest surprise will be Ben Haim(this has already started) as even the most optimistic of us felt some unease about what would his attitude, fitness and skill be like but i have a good feeling about him.

The other will be Tucudean again due to the lack of excitement/belief from the fanbase over his signing, again got a good feeling about him, as nearly all of us were pleased about Igor signing.

Dissapointment will be the usual going out of the cup to a beatable side i suspect.

• Options
    Having seen Gudmondsson, Buyens, Bikey and Tucudean on Saturday I'll be astonished if most teams don't roll right through us scoring for fun

The biggest disappointment will be if TBH (charmless mercenary) gets to play cos he makes those 4 look like Pele, Cruyff, Neeskens and Beckenbauer all rolled into one.
  • Options

Surprise will be beating millwall and Vetokele

Disappointment will be Henderson and still not seeing solly as much

Why are we beating vetokele what's he done wrong? ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Having seen Gudmondsson, Buyens, Bikey and Tucudean on Saturday I'll be astonished if most teams don't roll right through us scoring for fun

The biggest disappointment will be if TBH (charmless mercenary) gets to play cos he makes those 4 look like Pele, Cruyff, Neeskens and Beckenbauer all rolled into one.

You seem like a reliable source.

A right midfielder and a forward being listed as you'll be 'astonished if most teams don't roll right through us scoring for fun'? Do you expect them to play in defence?
  • Options
    Surprise - A block all stand
    Disappointment - A block sits down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That's the spirit!
  • Options
    Biggest surprise will be an away win at Fulham.
    Biggest disappointment will be a piss poor home defeat to Rotherham.

Something like that.

In terms of players a surprise will be the number of games Lawrie Wilson chalks up as his consistency and reliability becomes indispensable as other events unfold.

A disappoint will be one of our pivotal players getting a long term injury.

A couple of certainties are that we will be getting a lot of red cards, and poor disciplinary returns next season. be warned now, I don't expect Brentford to finish with all 22 players on the field.
    Another certainty is that our top three goals of the season will be the best in living memory.
  • Options
    I have a good feeling about George, think he will score more than many expect.

I don't know why, and I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like Gudmundsson might be our biggest disappointment in his first season. Wingers tend to have spells where they do next to nothing and their heads can drop quickly. With a lack of cover at right mid he might be left in the firing line too long and struggle. I think he'll come good and I could well be wrong but I could see him not living up to the substantial hype.
  • Options
    Surprises: A competitive season that sees a rise in the Valley attendances
    Disappointments: Reza isn't any further away than Kuwait
  • Options
    Surprise is seeing Yann score 25 in one season for Bournemouth.

Disappointment is seeing Yann score 25 in one season for Bournemouth.
  • Options
    So now we're near the end of the season! Who turned out to be the biggest surprise/ disappointment??

For me surprises: Henderson - underrated when he came here I think he's one of the best players we have!
    Gomez knew he'd be good but didn't think he'd end the season as first choice!

Disappointments: moussa- expected big things from him when he came! Injuries stopped him from showing it!
    Harriott - hoped he would kick on from last year!
    Wilson - thought he'd be a key player for us this year shame it didn't work out!
  • Options

+ George & Vetokele
    - Solly (think he will miss more than he plays)

George surprised us all
  • Options

Surprise is seeing Yann score 25 in one season for Bournemouth.

Disappointment is seeing Yann score 25 in one season for Bournemouth.

15 with 2 games to go is bad enough
  • Options
    Big surprise is the high degree of accuracy in these predictions. Apart from Hendo (a big + rather than a -) and George (the other way around) CL Lifers appear to know what they are on about.
  • Options
    Biggest disappointment? Finding another "Charlton" thread taken over by Yann Kermogant.