Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Speeding Ticket - help required

2»

Comments

• smiffyboy said:

Ignore all the letters they send including court summons they will prosocute the wife when the outcome of the case tried in your absence is sent out, wait two weeks and phone up saying wtf is this all about not received anything before hand as you've had problems with the postman strealing your mail and ask for a new hearing by filling out a stuatory declaration in your local court, this will waste about 6-8 months then you go a court, they can't prove you got the letter, the time limit to prosocute has expired you walk out free of points and fine, happened to me genuinely

Not any more. They set a new date when you make the stat dec.
  • What are you going to do? Decided yet?
  • I just put the details of the missus when I do get a ticket, I just pay the fine, fill in her details and don't tell her
  • The reason for going to court is that its the owners responsibility to know who is driving at all times, you would need to convince a magistrate that you have done everything possible to find out who was driving.

Had it in the past that we couldn't remember who was driving, the court therefore couldn't give points to anyone so they increased the fine instead.

the owner, my wife, knows who was driving the car on that journey but not who drove at that particular point seeing as we swapped three or four times during it.
    The only time your wife should be allowed to drive is when you're pissed.

"swapped three or four times" - how long was the journey ffs, four days?

You've just gone down to 'MediumAddick' from now on to me.
  • Journey was Sussex to Cornwall, about 270 miles. But I get headaches when driving if sunny from the glare, despite wearing sunnies, and the wife is recovering from a knee op hence the frequent changes.

We have discovered that I was driving and I hereby claim the 3pts and 100 quid fine.
  • Should just do a dummy new insurance quote, one with clean licence and six points and one with both of you on three points and see which one is cheaper.
  • if you can't remember who was driving then you can't remember. Just stick to the truth. Let the court decide. I don't see how they can...It might just go away mate
  • Its not biggie man. Its a such a petty minor offence its not even worth them chasing it
  • MSE7 said:

Its not biggie man. Its a such a petty minor offence its not even worth them chasing it

That's not right. If he pleads not guilty they would set a trial date and he would have to travel all the way to Dorset to be almost certainly found guilty and have to pay a higher fine and much higher costs.
  • This is the advice from Which FAQs:

I have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution but I can't remember who was driving at the time of the speeding offence. What can I do?

The law says that a vehicle’s keeper should know who is driving at all times and not naming the driver is a separate offence, which can attract a greater penalty than the speeding.

You should do all you can to find out the name of the driver, for example, by checking bank statements, phone bills and receipts to try to place the possible drivers at the time of the speeding offence.

Many police forces also let motorists view images from speed cameras in an attempt to find out who the driver was – the sample letters page has a letter you can use to ask for this.

If, after investigating, you still don't know who was driving, you may have a case if you can show that you are not deliberately or negligently withholding the information.

Some police forces allow drivers to write informally to the Central Ticket Office with a full detailed account of why they can't give the information and what they have done to try to find out.

If yours doesn't, or your informal appeal is rejected, in most cases you will need to attend a court hearing where you would have to satisfy the magistrate that you have acted with ‘reasonable diligence’ to find out who the driver was at the time of the speeding offence.
  • Sponsored links:

• We have discovered that I was driving and I hereby claim the 3pts and 100 quid fine.

= the mrs told me to wear it
  • MSE7 said:

Its not biggie man. Its a such a petty minor offence its not even worth them chasing it

That's not right. If he pleads not guilty they would set a trial date and he would have to travel all the way to Dorset to be almost certainly found guilty and have to pay a higher fine and much higher costs.
    I thought he didn't know who was driving? they will have to prove who was driving if he can't remember?