Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 17th April 1990. Charlton 1 Wimbledon 2

edited April 2007 in General Charlton
Tuesday 17th April 1990. Charlton Athletic 1 (0) (Young og 70) Wimbledon 2 (2) (Wise 2, Fashanu (pen) 8). Att: 5,679

Charlton: Bolder, Humphrey, Reid, Peake, McLaughlin, Caton, R. Lee, Williams, Jones, Minto, Mortimer. Unused subs: Watson, Achampong.

Wimbledon: Segars, Goodyear, Phelan, Ryan, Young, Curle, Bennett (Newhouse 68), Miller, Fashanu, Kruszynski, Wise. Unused sub: Scales.

Referee: K Cooper (Pontypridd)

Penalty awarded against McLaughlin for a foul on Fashanu. Youngs own goal was as a result of heading a Humphrey cross into his own net.

Relegated: This defeat sealed Charlton's relegation from the first division, which at least meant the fans were spared the indignity of having that fatal blow inflicted by their landlords in the next match.

Bottom 3 at the end of the season were:

Sheffield Wednesday 43 points
Charlton 30 points
Millwall 26 points

Top goalscorers were Paul Williams on 12 and Carl Leaburn on 9.

Comments

• Options
    I always thought the spanking by Rosenthal against Liverpool on 11th April (my 12th birthday) sealed our fate.

I remember it being a crap birthday anyway.
  • Options
    Nice topical post to cheer us all up on a Monday morning eh?

We all knew we were down before that game anyway. That's a poor points total but at least we finished above Millwall!