Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chest freezers

Sorry to be boring.

The fan on my very old chest freezer, is going non stop and has been for months.

I presume, it's better value to just buy a new one, rather than try and get this very old one repaired.

Has anyone bought one in the last few years and got a recommendation of makes and where to buy from, in the Bromley area ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Look on hot uk deals
  • Options
    Appliances Online, for extra tenner they'll take your old one away. Normally free next day delivery.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Liebherr now make about the best quality domestic refrigeration out there.

Our AEG (back when AEG were good) freezer has done 20 years and is past its prime. We're going to replace it with a Liebherr upright but they also do chest freezers.
    liebherr.co.uk/HG/en-GB/products_uk-hg.wfw/id-1555139-0
    Not cheap but you do get a quality product.
    Buy online from somewhere like appliancesdirect.co.uk. I'd be very surprised if a high street store could match either price or delivery.
    On the avoid at all costs front, Hotpoint freezers and customer service seem to get a bad press. This was my favourite Hotpoint customer review:
    This is the worst freezer I have ever owned. The freezer takes the best part of a whole day to get down to temperature so it can be used. The drawers are made of cheap and flimsy plastic - unlike the sturdy wire trays fitted to other makes. This means they stick and jam and the slides freeze them to the wall of the freezer. If not "levered" into place the drawers stop the door from closing completely resulting in an ice-up. You get what you pay for usually. In this case I got very much less than I paid for - an Italian made piece of third world quality junk. I had planned to use my old freezer as a reserve. This wretched Hotpoint is going to be the standbye freezer, but only because I can't afford to throw it out. DON'T BUY !
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Liebherr now make about the best quality domestic refrigeration out there.

Our AEG (back when AEG were good) freezer has done 20 years and is past its prime. We're going to replace it with a Liebherr upright but they also do chest freezers.
    liebherr.co.uk/HG/en-GB/products_uk-hg.wfw/id-1555139-0
    Not cheap but you do get a quality product.
    Buy online from somewhere like appliancesdirect.co.uk. I'd be very surprised if a high street store could match either price or delivery.
    On the avoid at all costs front, Hotpoint freezers and customer service seem to get a bad press. This was my favourite Hotpoint customer review:
    This is the worst freezer I have ever owned. The freezer takes the best part of a whole day to get down to temperature so it can be used. The drawers are made of cheap and flimsy plastic - unlike the sturdy wire trays fitted to other makes. This means they stick and jam and the slides freeze them to the wall of the freezer. If not "levered" into place the drawers stop the door from closing completely resulting in an ice-up. You get what you pay for usually. In this case I got very much less than I paid for - an Italian made piece of third world quality junk. I had planned to use my old freezer as a reserve. This wretched Hotpoint is going to be the standbye freezer, but only because I can't afford to throw it out. DON'T BUY !

I went to the Grand Designs show a couple of months back. Sub Zero looked a tad better but they are thousands, as you wold expect at the Grand Designs Show.
    I think John Lewis sell them.
  • Options
    I thought this was going to be about cryogenically freezing Dolly Parton for the benefit of future generations.
  • Options

Sorry to be boring.

The fan on my very old chest freezer, is going non stop and has been for months.

I presume, it's better value to just buy a new one, rather than try and get this very old one repaired.

Has anyone bought one in the last few years and got a recommendation of makes and where to buy from, in the Bromley area ?

Thanks in advance.

Never been a fan of chest freezers.

They give you cold nipples
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Appliances Online, for extra tenner they'll take your old one away. Normally free next day delivery.

Yeah I always go there for appliances now, good price and service.
  • Options
    Ok, I feel like a bit of a cockwomble, but here goes ......

I've bought a new chest freezer and when it was delivered today, the delivery guy said, the problem with your old one, is that the fan has been knocked and is simply hitting something, instead of circulating freely, which is causing the "racket".

So when he went, I removed the grill, on the outside, bottom, side of the chest freezer, nudged the fan into a more central position and hey presto, there's obviously no noise now. Doh !

Now, I feel like a right plum. I've brushed away the ton of dirt & dust on what I think what may be the compressor and fan and put the grill back. However, google isn't being friendly to me.

So my questions are these :-

In my very old chest freezer, it must be at least 30 years old.

Should the fan, on the bottom side of the chest freezer, ie it is external, be going continuously or not ?

The freezer is working perfectly well.

I don't know whether to just leave the old freezer running and use it as normal, keeping the new freezer, for when the old one finally packs up. Or is the old freezer using up loads of electricity, because the fan is running continuously, when it shouldn't be. The old freezer was manufactured by Bejams !
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The new one will be more economic, just switch it out now and ebay the old Bejam. You might get £30-40 for it!
  • Options
    And the season has started...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014
    It'll be the compressor running continuously presumably which is making the fan run? So, it's either the thermostat that's knackered or the compressor I would guess.

This lot do a good selection of spares but the last time I needed a thermostat it was an obsolete model and I couldn't get one.
    Might be worth a shout if you want to keep it as back-up? If it's the compressor than it's just a candidate for a neighbour's skip I should think!

espares.co.uk/advice/2/1555/how-to-replace-a-fridge-thermostat-%E2%80%93-zanussi
  • Options
    a long scarf could do the trick
  • Options
    Thanks cafcfan & everyone that took the trouble to answer.

I've decided to use the new freezer and keep the old one as a back up.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Sorry to be boring.

Thanks in advance.

Never been a fan of chest freezers.

They give you cold nipples
    Gave you a LOL just for the sheer brass neck...