Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Only Charlton.......

........ Can be taken over by a multi millionaire, turn their season around, buy 8 new players in the summer transfer window yet still be bookies faves for the drop! What a crock of shit !!!

Comments

• Options
    Much prefer it that way, being billy top dog is no fun, you have all the pressure on you.

Imagine Burnley before last season. No pressure, no expectation
  • Options
    Reckon even if we won the Premier League... signed Messi / Ronaldo / Neuer etc... we'd still be favs for the drop!!
  • Options
    Bookies odds aren't predictions.

They move up and down based on money wagered.

Stick a £100k on Charlton today and see them move sharpish.
  • Options

Much prefer it that way, being billy top dog is no fun, you have all the pressure on you.

Being billy top dog is great fun! How good was the 11/12 season?
  • Options
    Bookies dont get many things wrong.
  • Options

I think we've covered this a thousand times before but original odds are predictions based on information gathered by the bookmakers i.e. Past form, Squad strength etc. The odds are effected by money wagered but that tends not to happen too much with popular markets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Being billy top dog is great fun! How good was the 11/12 season?
    But that was L1, in L1 we were a giant. In the Championship, we are at our 'level'
  • Options

Can you lend me £100k?

• Options

I think we've covered this a thousand times before but original odds are predictions based on information gathered by the bookmakers i.e. Past form, Squad strength etc. The odds are effected by money wagered but that tends not to happen too much with popular markets.
    Whilst I agree, this isn't exactly a popular market so a large wager would move the price. I'd also add the oddsmakers are likely to have a look at the general feeling around the club as well as statistical information, so things like the previews for the season will no doubt have an impact.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Whilst I agree, this isn't exactly a popular market so a large wager would move the price. I'd also add the oddsmakers are likely to have a look at the general feeling around the club as well as statistical information, so things like the previews for the season will no doubt have an impact.
    Initial prices are based on last years performance, the teams that came up, the teams that were relegated from the Prem, squad changes (ours is significant with mainly unproven players coming in), managerial changes, likely money available for January window and an anticipation of likely betting activity. Based on that we would be rightly to be one of the favourites for relegation and outsiders for promotion.

It's a pretty popular market and it would take fairly big money to move the price. But 80/1 in to 50/1 (0.72%) is less significant in the book than 20/1 in to 16/1 (1.1%). And if we were 50/1 to win then I don't think many would question that. Also add the fact that most money wagered is focused around the first few in the betting.
  • Options
    wouldn't worry about what the bookies think , they have Reza at 150-1 to be top scorer in the division.
  • Options
    This year's dark horses.... We know how much has gone on behind the scenes!
  • Options
    The mirror news paper thinks we are a club at used to be run the right way but is now ran badly and is an dying club!! I for one think the papers and the bookies are talking shite!! Either they don't think are have signed anyone or just want us to fail badly! I think are can go up this season I really do!
  • Options
    We are unknown quantities, and bookies and pundits seem to assume the worst when that's the case.
    In both 85-86 and 97-98 promotion seasons we were unfancied for promotion, and the bookies were unimpressed by our summer signings. For Humphrey/Reid, Mendonca/Bowen, read Igor and the Icelander this time round... I think we are underestimated by the bookies again, and have accordingly had a small wager in the handicap bet (as i did in'97, which we won by a mile)
  • Options
    Just put a €uro on Sponge Foot being the leagues top scorer ........this time next year Rodney!!!
  • Options

Bookies dont get many things wrong.

They got the World Cup wrong for starters. In the regular competition with my buddies I decided to base all my selections entirely on the bookies odds. As a result I had Spain to come third. And that's just the start. Mind you I called England right. That wasn't difficult.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    buckshee said:

wouldn't worry about what the bookies think , they have Reza at 150-1 to be top scorer in the division.

Great price, I'm going to put my house on it now.
  • Options
    Vetokele down from 150:1 to 100:1 as leading scorer(worth a punt each way?). And we are no longer in the three favourites for relegation...just. The odds will shift over the season but it's clear the bookies have not recognised the calibre of some of our signings
  • Options
    Most promoted teams get 11 or 12 draws a season.
    Yesterday was the first.
    Glass 1/2 full in my world!
  • Options
    edited August 2014

As above, Bookies odds are predictions! The odds on promotion, relegation, spread betting and handicap are all based on their perception of the market and future outcomes...
    Just as Pullis odds moved rapidly as news started to break that he was leaving them stripey fellas :)
    Naturally a bookie will move odds or lay off a position if it gets too hot but, in the main the odds are the perception... Good job we are no longer third favourites for relegation - wasn't money that moved us but the antics at Huddersfield and their big loss the other day.

Let's see what the odds state at the end of August and September.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

General feeling around the club you say? Think I've cracked the mystery then. All they've done is just taken a look on charlton life over the summer.

Our masterplan of being all doom and gloom has worked. Job done. Bets placed and back to being the positive bunch we really are. Can't believe they fell for it.
  • Options
    Just remembered reading this as well. Made my blood boil at the time
    http://www.football365.com/f365-features/9409772/F365-s-Championship-Preview

Favourites for the drop with Blackpool and the lion cubs but like others have said absolutely no pressure on us now so all this lazy reporting probably doing us a favour.
  • Options
    jac52 said:

Favourites for the drop with Blackpool and the lion cubs but like others have said absolutely no pressure on us now so all this lazy reporting probably doing us a favour.

442 magazine also tipped us for the drop. But then they also said we played at Valley Parade. Says it all really.
  • Options
    kafka said:

jac52 said:

442 magazine also tipped us for the drop. But then they also said we played at Valley Parade. Says it all really.
    Did they not say we would finish 14th, the year we won League 1 with a record points total?
  • Options
    Best for us to get promoted is 20,s which is fantastic odds knowing what we know!
    Best for us to get relegated is 3,s these bookies realy don't know us very well?