Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brentford????

What's to fear? If McOxo is a star player and their top summer signing is from the mighty O's I really don't get it!

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Make no mistake this will be no walk in the park! Brentford are playing their first match in the 2nd tier of English football for years and both their players and fans are gonna be well up for it.

Throw in the fact that we have an almost entirely new team still getting to know each other's game and I'd gladly take a draw on Saturday!

COYR
  • Options
    Newly promoted side, tight ground, our players won't think much of the ground but they gotta be professional.

Ultimately our team is stronger on paper, and I know games aren't played on paper, but I fancy us to be just too strong. Be a tough game though.
  • Options
    Warburton is a VERY highly rated manager too... Not just cos he came into Football late as he started his career in the City in Stock Broking (I think)
  • Options
    They are chomping at the bit to get the season started. They will be well up for it tommorrow.

I think it will be a very tight game. COYR!!
  • Options
    Everyone associated with the club is going to be so fired up, they may struggle later in the season but right here right now they will be playing with no fear, no pressure and no fatigue, they'll want to start with a win even more than most teams do, for historical purposes if nothing else.

Quality wise, yes we probably have the edge, but in terms of experience on the pitch and in the dugout it's not a massive gulf between us and them. Experienced heads like JJ are going to have to get the team marshaled properly and firing together or we could be in for a long afternoon...
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

What's to fear? If McOxo is a star player and their top summer signing is from the mighty O's I really don't get it!

This thread is all set up to be bumped now if we get stuffed on Saturday - talk about put the mockers on it. You could come out of this looking very stupid Taxi Lad!

Look at Bournemouth last season. Games away to a newly promoted side are as tough as you can get on opening day. There is nothing easy about this, and we are not exactly Barcelona.

I would be delighted with a point.
  • Options

Warburton is a VERY highly rated manager too... Not just cos he came into Football late as he started his career in the City in Stock Broking (I think)

He was an FX dealer
  • Options
    Quite worried about this one. Think we will lose but will be a great day out
  • Options
    If we start well and control the ball the first 10/15 minutes, dampen their enthusiasm then i think we can see them off quite comfortable but that is easier said then done when their fans are looking forward to the most exciting season in a generation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lets see if their first game enthusiasm can bridge the gulf between league 1 and the champs. It is a big step up and their signings are hardly inspiring.
    We are effectively a new team with plenty of competition for places so our lot should also be well up for it.
    So come on doom merchants, have a little faith and let's go in there and steamroll 'em!!!!
  • Options
    On a slightly separate not, does anyone know where is best to drink before the match? Been Brentford before but not sure of any good pubs in the area
  • Options
    Great to see optimism and a bit of enthusiasm after a pants last season, please bring all that enthusiasm along to the valley for Colchester in the league cup.
  • Options
    The trouble with playing one of the promoted teams from last season is they are still on a high from the success, better to play them after a few defeats, but we have no choice
  • Options
    Start with 5 in midfield and stifle the game. Go to 4 4 2 with 20 to go and try and nick it if still 0 0. I think we will win this.
  • Options
    I think they will try to play in our half so we'll have to soak it up before hitting them with our pace.
  • Options
    It is easy, we just have to score more goals than them
  • Options

On a slightly separate not, does anyone know where is best to drink before the match? Been Brentford before but not sure of any good pubs in the area

Pub on each corner of the ground but will be VERY packed.
    Try Brentford High Street, 5 minutes from Brentford train station.
  • Options

Tonne of pubs nearby. There's one at each corner of the ground and a couple slightly closer to the station. My old local the globe is more of a home pub but it's a student pub so they'll be more than willing to have well behaving cafc fans I'm sure.

This game will be an unglamourous draw IMO but I can see brentford snatching it and holding on.
  • Options

Make no mistake this will be no walk in the park! Brentford are playing their first match in the 2nd tier of English football for years and both their players and fans are gonna be well up for it.

Throw in the fact that we have an almost entirely new team still getting to know each other's game and I'd gladly take a draw on Saturday!

COYR

We should be able to best two players...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    absoloutely sod all to fear
  • Options
    absolutely sod all to fear as well
  • Options
    It's no walk in the park as it is the first competitive game. But we are playing a back five which is very similar to a defence which only conceded 50 or 60 goals in each of the last two seasons...just Henderson in for Hamer but still Solly, Wiggins and Morro (if he starts). Our front six might have three out of Harriott, Jackson, Cousins and Wilson. And these players were part of a squad who finished the season beating bottom half teams by the odd goal and losing to top 8 sides 3-0. Add to that no less than three players rated at €2m and we have decent chances tomorrow and against any bottom half club.
    COYR
  • Options
    This thread is so going to come back and bite us on the arse at 5 pm tomorrow.....
  • Options

Other posts are correct, 4 corners, high st etc. meeting my Brentford mates in The Globe to collect my ticket (always quality barmaids in there)
  • Options
    Here's the thing...let's not be afraid of backing the lads...respect to Brentford as they are just us from a few years back... And there will always be luck and referees! But our lads should be up for this (& Colchester) before we play the likes if Wigan and Derby...by which time we may have another €2m striker on the books?
  • Options

I think they will try to play in our half so we'll have to soak it up before hitting them with our pace.

Perhaps we play keepball? We play in our half, on the floor then push it to runners...we have pace up front... Real pace!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    What ever happens lets fooking av it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hu1fAoFb5k
  • Options
    COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I think we'll be too good for 'em. I don't think they'll be able to stay with us.