Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Job Application

Bit of CL advice please guys.

Applied for a job a month back and received an email yesterday detailing the 'salary package', asking if it's suitable to me and if so, do I wish to continue to be considered for the role.

Anyway, within the salary package it mentions a £6000 annual car allowance. Whilst that seems logical to me and kind of makes sense, what exactly does it mean? It's a new phrase to me as my current role has a company car thrown in and before that I was long term military.

Is it an allowance toward getting a car, or toward upkeep and fuel etc of my current private vehicle?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    Is it an allowance toward getting a car, or toward upkeep and fuel etc of my current private vehicle?

This I would imagine. It is more than likely taxable and "NI able" too so in real terms approx £4k or less if you are likely to be taxed at higher rates
  • Options
    To be treated as usual salary for tax and NI purposes
  • Options
    I usually see this as an addition to your salary (taxable) as a way of recompensing you for having to use a car for your job. How you use it is down to you. Again, usually, people would see it as a monthly amount that can be used towards the cost of a car (hp / loan premiums) , petrol costs etc etc.