Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Convertable cars.

2»

Comments

• Options
    I know exactly where the last two posters are coming from.
    Trouble is I see such vehicles as things that need to be and should be cherished and I couldn't trust myself to be a reliable custodian for them. So, as much as I would love to own either a Daimler SP250 or Sunbeam Tiger, I would feel that they inevitably would leave me in a worse condition than they arrived and that's not fair as they need to be around for the next generation.
    So I go for the next best thing - a modern equivalent.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Trouble is I see such vehicles as things that need to be and should be cherished and I couldn't trust myself to be a reliable custodian for them. So, as much as I would love to own either a Daimler SP250 or Sunbeam Tiger, I would feel that they inevitably would leave me in a worse condition than they arrived and that's not fair as they need to be around for the next generation.

But it's not is it? That's like saying an I-player download of Lady Ga Ga's latest single is the equivalent to That's Alright Mama on the original Sun 45... ;-)
  • Options
    Hahahaha that's a quality comparison

Give me a 1990 convertible BMW any day over say a new beetle convertible

Or if we're going really classy and old school a 88-92 xr3i

• Options

cafcfan said:

But it's not is it? That's like saying an I-player download of Lady Ga Ga's latest single is the equivalent to That's Alright Mama on the original Sun 45... ;-)
    Yeah, but as bland and ultimately disappointing as Lady Gaga might be, if you store it on a cloud server, it'll be yours forever to be used whenever you want in whatever circumstances.
    Whereas if you take the vinyl out of its sleeve and actually use it, despite the fact you can only do this in a very restricted way, there's a chance of damaging it and you wouldn't want to risk that happening. So it just sits there gathering dust or you risk destroying a masterpiece forever. You certainly wouldn't want to risk driving a Dart into the West Stand Car Park! You'd take the front off negotiating the entrance gully and destroy the suspension in a pothole. So it would rather pointlessly stay in the garage looking forlorn.

BTW on the original Sun release the song was entitled "That's All Right" and the word "Mama" was not included.
  • Options
    You had better never have a conversation with any of my mates who collect vinyl! Lots of them are DJs too and wouldn't dream of playing anything other than the original 45s... Quite mad of course.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Hahahaha that's a quality comparison

Give me a 1990 convertible BMW any day over say a new beetle convertible

Or if we're going really classy and old school a 88-92 xr3i

Can't beat an old bmw convertable
    Has to be black with black leather interior and maroon trim!
    Just like mine :-)

• Options
    Volkswagen beetle karmann ghia is my convertible of choice, ideally a 1303
  • Options

You had better never have a conversation with any of my mates who collect vinyl! Lots of them are DJs too and wouldn't dream of playing anything other than the original 45s... Quite mad of course.

I know one of these wonderful people. Insists on playing vinyl, if possible when he does gigs. Is it mad? He thinks you can't beat the sound and vinyl was made to be played. Same as cars were made to be driven - I hate to see classic cars arriving at shows on the back of low-loaders. My favorite event to go to with my classic convertible is the Great Bucket and Spade Run - 1st Sunday in June - meet at Faversham and drive down to Margate. Normally over 300 cars from the 1900s up to the 80s and beyond if they're 'interesting' enough.
  • Options
    Got rid of my beloved 70+ year old willys jeep last year sad day to see it go off on a low loader to Hampshire somewhere??
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

I know one of these wonderful people. Insists on playing vinyl, if possible when he does gigs. Is it mad? He thinks you can't beat the sound and vinyl was made to be played. Same as cars were made to be driven - I hate to see classic cars arriving at shows on the back of low-loaders. My favorite event to go to with my classic convertible is the Great Bucket and Spade Run - 1st Sunday in June - meet at Faversham and drive down to Margate. Normally over 300 cars from the 1900s up to the 80s and beyond if they're 'interesting' enough.
    Must do that one year. I'm counting the days until the goodwood revival, best event bar none.