Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Stewart (NASCAR driver) hits and kills a driver on track

Never seen anything like this in all my years of watching motorsport. Tony Stewart (a very big name in US sports) was competing in a dirt track event and had a clash whilst racing a competitor.

The competitor then got out of his car and walked into the centre of a live racing track to confront Stewart (who was at racing speed). Stewart appears to swerve (either losing control, trying to get out the way, who knows?) and hits the guy, killing him instantly.

Rumours he could face criminal charges. Personally, what the hell was the guy doing walking into the middle of the track?

I wont post the footage as it is quite graphic. Can be seen on youtube if searched for.

Comments

• Options
    It was also a night race and the guy had black overalls and helmet on. Wasn't the brightest of ideas.

All that said, is an extremely tragic event! And thoughts are with his family and also with tony Stewart, god knows how he feels after that. Wouldn't be surprised if he retired as a result.
  • Options
    Had a look last night at this on Youtube, there didnt appear to be any change of direction by Stewart, but , as you say, the guy was wearing a black overall, in a night race that was dimly lit, in the middle of the track - did he have a death wish?
  • Options
    just seen it he only just about avoiding the blue one, surely Tony Stewart cant get charged for that, he ran onto the track and u can see Stewart tried to avoid him
  • Options
    No need for Stewart to be in the race as it was a minor event day before a Nascar race.

He is a hot head and he obviously
    Didn't mean to kill the guy, but I do think he tried to scare him.

They guy should never have got out of his car to remonstrate it's truly tragic. RIP
  • Options
    Apparently the police have said they're treating it as an accident and that no charges will be made against Tony Stewart.

In my opinion it was something extremely stupid for the guy involved to do
  • Options
    I've never understood Tony Stewart's obsession with Sprint car racing. It's the equivalent of Lewis Hamilton going banger racing in Purfleet. He broke his leg in a sprint car crash not so long ago.

Eyewitnesses said Stewart gunned his engine as he approached the driver on track and lost the back end causing the accident. It's all just incredibly stupid and tragic
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Had a look last night at this on Youtube, there didnt appear to be any change of direction by Stewart, but , as you say, the guy was wearing a black overall, in a night race that was dimly lit, in the middle of the track - did he have a death wish?

He swerved straight at him. That is manslaughter or murder.

Kevin Ward was waiting for a gap to get through to the middle of the track the safe zone on those tracks - and yes he pointed at Tony Stewart as if to blame him for the crash before Stewart swerved at him killing him.
  • Options

just seen it he only just about avoiding the blue one, surely Tony Stewart cant get charged for that, he ran onto the track and u can see Stewart tried to avoid him

He swerved towards him not away from him.
  • Options
    Video wasn't entirely clear but to me it looks like he swerves after the impact, possibly in shock.
  • Options
    It's hard to tell from the youtube footage as being the equivalent of banger racing at Purfleet it wasn't the best.

It will be an interesting investigation.

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me Tony Stewart is not as innocent as people are making out here. He knows the crash took place to previous lap and there is likely to be a crash scene exactly where it was therefore you'd think would POSSIBLY take a bit of notice that Kevin Ward may be leaving his car. In my opinion, Tony Stweart can avoid Kevin Ward if he really wanted to, I just think the heat of the moment caught up with him. I don't think he meant to intentionally kill Kevin Ward but I do blame Tony Stewart for the loss of life I'm afraid.
  • Options

For me Tony Stewart is not as innocent as people are making out here. He knows the crash took place to previous lap and there is likely to be a crash scene exactly where it was therefore you'd think would POSSIBLY take a bit of notice that Kevin Ward may be leaving his car. In my opinion, Tony Stweart can avoid Kevin Ward if he really wanted to, I just think the heat of the moment caught up with him. I don't think he meant to intentionally kill Kevin Ward but I do blame Tony Stewart for the loss of life I'm afraid.

6 other cars went past the crash scene after Ward got out of the car. None of them seemed to be slowing down or avoiding the area more than was necessary to not hit the wreckage. The last car through before the impact was arguably travelling faster and closer to the scene than Stewarts car! Only Stewart will ever really know if there was any intent but I personally feel it was accidental. It was also utterly moronic on the part of Ward.

• Options
    So so so inconclusive it's ridiculous to speculate if he meant it.
    Bloke didn't deserve to die obviously but what a complete tool walking across the track like frickin terminator or something.
    Coming round that bend.some cars may have.had an eye on the crash car and.not seen him, could have been any driver that him and ruined their life as well.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

6 other cars went past the crash scene after Ward got out of the car. None of them seemed to be slowing down or avoiding the area more than was necessary to not hit the wreckage. The last car through before the impact was arguably travelling faster and closer to the scene than Stewarts car! Only Stewart will ever really know if there was any intent but I personally feel it was accidental. It was also utterly moronic on the part of Ward.

He seems to walk out in front of Stewart though. He is dodging the others but actually moves again before being hit. It is really inconclusive but given there seems to be a LOT of negativity towards Stewart given his previous behaviour I can't help but think he wont be getting a fair trial