Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kinsella at The Valley tomorrow

Comments

• Options

I still remember where I was when I found out we'd sold Kinsella. And for a measley million. And think of the tosh we've watched since then.
    Is it me or was Curbs responsible for that classic Charlton muck up?

If anything kins did us a favour smiling through the pain and passing his villa medical, his knee was buggered
  • Options

I still remember where I was when I found out we'd sold Kinsella. And for a measley million. And think of the tosh we've watched since then.

not the way i recall it , Kinsella wasn't getting much of a look in due to some fella called Scott Parker emerging and Kins was suffering from the odd niggle, so as with most things that people try to lay on Curbs door you're wrong and Alan Curbishley is quite simply a Charlton managerial god that never got or gets the full worship he deserves
    It's weird looking back, Aston Villa picking up a player we didn't want any more, when you consider the histories and relative sizes of the clubs.
  • Options
    My favorite ever CAFC player, legend in my eyes.
  • Options
    If somebody tells Katrien about Mark there is a good chance that he will be acknowledged in a fitting manner. The more the new owners learn about our history, the better our relationship will be.
  • Options
    Quality player who gave 100% every time he crossed that line in a Charlton shirt and loved playing for Charlton. Remember when we had him(think he was on trial)when he banged one in the top corner from 25 yards at Leyton Orient in a friendly and you just knew what a player he could become if we could sign him up. His first season the team were a bit indifferent but from 97-98 you saw what he had to offer and the look on his face after he scored his penalty at Wembley says it all about him really.

A player who was proud to represent Charlton Athletic and always led by example and always had time for the fans(had a few after match chats with him in the chippy on Floyd Road/Valley Grove.

In my opinion Mark Kinsella is a Charlton legend and deserves a great reception this evening and I am sure he will get it!
  • Options
    right up there with the best ever to play for CAFC in ANY era. My all time fav. Was the ROI player of the year in a very good ROI squad. Shame his managerial career with us was timed when we were falling apart.
  • Options

Legend for me, really wish I could be there tomorrow

ditto
  • Options
    As Play-Off winning captain in 97/98 and captain of our Football League Championship winning team in 99/00 Kinsella led us to promotion to the top of English football TWICE - nobody else has done that.

Legend, no doubt about it.
  • Options
    I remember when he came back to the Valley as a Villa player. What an ovation he received! He looked like he wanted to rip off his shirt and put the famous red one back on. True legend, and I will be standing and cheering him when he comes out tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never forget his finger wag to the lino "no, no I'm onside" before slotting the ball into the corner of the net. He was on the top of his form that night!
  • Options
    OK, i bow to public pressure......

Welcome... Mark Kinsella to The Presidents Legends list !!

Dont get me wrong - great player, one of my faves, a hugely significant figure in a hugely significant time for the club.
  • Options

Never forget his finger wag to the lino "no, no I'm onside" before slotting the ball into the corner of the net. He was on the top of his form that night!

In front of the East stand, one of my favourite Charlton goals!
  • Options
    Or... Our visit to Old Trafford in our first Prem year. Kinsella hits a 25 yard screamer to put little Charlton into an impertinent lead. 5 Live describes how in the directors box a row of five blokes in suits jump to their feet with arms in the air, while the rest of Old Trafford is shocked into silence. Meanwhile in Central Europe a listener with his headset on lifts off from the sofa and nearly hits the ceiling, to the consternation of his startled wife.
  • Options
    Proper Charlton, a leader of men.
  • Options
    It's his birthday today as well
  • Options
    edited August 2014

He got taken down for a penalty.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Is that there now?
  • Options
    He was also extremely willing to help in the celebration at Bartrams in December 2012 to celebrate 20 years back at The Valley and to launch The Supporters Trust. He drove down from Colchester for the evening, took part in a panel Q&A and stayed around chatting to people for far longer than might have been reasonably expected. I recall him speaking with disdain about players who just went through the motions and didn't give their all for the team. Top bloke
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:

It's his birthday today as well

Then a loud rendition of Happy Birthday, Mark Kinsella should be given as he makes his way to the away dugout.

Lovely guy & definitely a true Charlton legend.

• Options

WSS said:

Is that there now?
    Yeah got put up yesterday along with C Powell and a couple other players. Looking even smarter down there now.
  • Options
    Always considered him to be 'one of ours' even though we bought him.

He knew what 'Charlton' meant.
  • Options
    bobcafc7 said:

WSS said:

Is that there now?
    Yeah got put up yesterday along with C Powell and a couple other players. Looking even smarter down there now.
    Nice. Everton have been doing this all around Goodison for years now. It's a nice touch.
  • Options
    Kinsella's birthday today? They will beat us then ;-)
  • Options

I heard rumours at the time that he had a clause in his contract saying that his salary had to at least match the highest paid player, and also heard a story of him 'partying' in London the night before (early morning of) a home game
  • Options
    What sort of reception did he get?
  • Options

What sort of reception did he get?

BDL announced "the return if a Charlton legend" as he walked out. He got a louder clap than Bob did!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Another thing that hasn't been mentioned (sorry just noticed post above), was when we were relegated from the Prem, there were a few offers for Kins, he decided to stay and the promotion winning team of the following year was built around him. If he had gone I think it could have all crumbled like a pack of cards!

I'm pleased he was announced last night because I missed him coming out the tunnel and he got the reception he merited.
  • Options

The term legend is banded around far too easily and freely, and should be saved for players of real stature and who led us to magical moments away from the dirge and mundane bullshit we watch

Mark kinsella was certainly one of those players

The most inspirational captain that I have seen in a charlton shirt, the most dedicated hard working player and captain of a that generatation

God bless and thank god for mark kinsella what I would give to find a 2014 version and put him in the team

Without a doubt a Charlton Legend. We never had a better Captain.