Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SOUNDPROOFING

Hi everyone,
Just a question which somebody may be able to help me with. I live next door to a council tenant with a few problems (too many to list - but basically some kind of mental illness that allows her to live alone in a 3 to 4 bedroom house while one govt dept ridiculously pays another the so-named bedroom tax), and there is a lot of noise of every kind - loud music, constant hum of air conditioners/fans, random shouting.
Has anybody got experience of sound proofing through carpets, walls etc? What does it cost? Are there any good providers that you know of? Does it work?
Any help appreciated because it's either solve this problem or think about moving house.

Comments

• Options
    Egg boxes
  • Options
    Keep a log of all complaints. ring the housing officer. who should warn her about anti nuisance behavior and she can get evicted.
  • Options
    You can reduce noise through soundproofing but you will not eradicate it completely. Sound will transmit through joists and walls, you need to isolate your house. You can double skin your walls with sound proofing and fit sound absorbing underlay but this is expensive to do for a whole house, you may end up disappointed with the results and out of pocket if you go down this route.
    Complain to the council and keep a log of her antics.
  • Options
    By way of retaliation, a friend of mine found that putting his speakers up on step ladders facing and very close to the party wall, turning the bass and volume dials to eleven, putting some drum and bass on repeat and then going out for the day to be a very good way of demonstrating to his moron next door neighbours that listening to other people's noise could be very irritating indeed and it was best to behave more sensibly.

• Options
    I sound proofed my flat due to having a noisy neighbour above me who kept having parties that started at 4am after him coming back stoned or drunk from clubs with all his mates. Complete waste of money in my opinion, but i was later told it was because the people who installed mine should have advised me that due to the build of the flats and how the noise was being transfered there was no way they could do anything about it, because the noise was coming through the ceiling and down the walls. I eventually sold my flat to one of the neighbours mates so everyone was happy in the end.

However I have read that it has worked for some people. The best thing is to get a sound proofing company round at the time the noise is happening. If the company is reputable then they should be able to advise if its possible based on what kind of noise there is and how it is coming into your property.
  • Options
    It will be far more effective and free of charge to address the source of the issue via the council's noise team. My experience of retrospective sound proofing is that it's better than nothing but rarely solves it completely. Apologies if you've already tried the Environmental Health route.
  • Options
    Hi guys, thanks for the replies, and especially about sound proofing not being such good value for money. Basically the noise is coming up the walls and going along the ceilings in a 1930s ex-council house so the whole place vibrates and not sure then that sound proofing can stop the vibrations. I read somewhere else about filling in the cavities with more insulation but again not sure how much noise that would stop.

Also I've been talking to the council for ages about this, but when somebody's mentally ill it's a lot harder to get them out. They basically have to volunteer to go themselves from what I can see. For a while i did hit back with noise and the problem is - mentally ill as she might be - she seems to have a knack for knowing that if she retaliates at 2 in the morning on a Sunday, for example, she's wrecked my working day Monday.
  • Options
    centurion said:

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, and especially about sound proofing not being such good value for money. Basically the noise is coming up the walls and going along the ceilings in a 1930s ex-council house so the whole place vibrates and not sure then that sound proofing can stop the vibrations. I read somewhere else about filling in the cavities with more insulation but again not sure how much noise that would stop.

Also I've been talking to the council for ages about this, but when somebody's mentally ill it's a lot harder to get them out. They basically have to volunteer to go themselves from what I can see. For a while i did hit back with noise and the problem is - mentally ill as she might be - she seems to have a knack for knowing that if she retaliates at 2 in the morning on a Sunday, for example, she's wrecked my working day Monday.

I've had similar problems of absolute morons, I feel for you, it really is invasive. I've nearly snapped a couple times and done some very, very silly things. If I were you I would go down the council route, they seem to take things seriously (somewhat)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    If it hasn't already gone too far have you requested mediation?

From what you say she isn't a moron, she has mental health problems, but you have a right to "enjoyment" of your home which includes freedom from unreasonable noise etc, and the tenant will have a number of clauses in her contract that cover expected reeasonable behaviour. As the property owner the LA does have a legal obligation to you, but it may be better to try to discuss the matter WITH A PROFESSIONAL THIRD PARTY PRESENT.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    centurion said:

Regardless of mental illness the local authority have an obligation to enforce their tenancy conditions.

Not sure what authority you are under but all with have some sort of noise team and asb officers.

As already advised keep diary sheets - it helps if you emphasise the negative effect the incidents are having on you.

Keep records of all of your interactions with the authority.

Initially I would suggest you go down the "correct" route and deal with the specific team.

If you aren't happy with the way the case is handled a letter to the Chief Exec and Leader of the Council will get people cracking.

If you know who he/she is, a visit to your elected members surgery will also prompt an enquiry.

Having worked in the area, I would advise you to stay calm with the staff you deal will. The are bound by policy and procedure and I can assure you they will be much more receptive if you come across as reasonable and not a ranting lunatic.

Even if they can't evict you may get an intervention from a cpn or social worker who can deal with the mental illness issues - might be a case of the person being off their meds.

• Options
    Move.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    As far as I know mental illness isn't an excuse for excess noise per se, you (they) are bound by the same laws in this area as everyone else.
    I would contact the E.H.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Egg boxes

Not sure if this was a serious suggestion, but you should never, ever use egg boxes to sound-insulate a home. They create a massive fire risk.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Move.

This is what I did! It can take months to get anything done with councils & even then no guarantee you will solve the issue. Easier if you rent like I do, moved twice now due to inconsiderate neighbours. Stayed renting after being stuck next to another lot of noisy idiots for a year while tried to sell my house. Now I'm sticking to renting till I win the lottery & can afford a detached place with no neighbours!
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2014
    Got a neighbour to the side with challenging guests (some street drinkers) and can be noisy and mental. Soundproofing between the flats was so poor as well, you could hear the splash of them taking a piss. Not nice. Sound proofed to bring the room back into use with baton with x2 layers thick plaster board on tacked to the baton. Plaster and paint. Did the trick. Well worth it as the room can now be used. Most sounds apart from occassional loud music, which I am not too bothered about is stopped. Worth thinking about.

Clem Snide above provides solid advice on handling the noise as well. A noise diary is essential. Advise the Housing Officer of the problem in writing. You can also try to identify the Mental health team whether they are known and who to ie under 65 adults team for instance. You can then advise the Housing Officer. If the information is too hand then they don't have to go and dig the information out and you are more likely to get them to act. The Housing Officer should be talking to the appropriate mental health team to see if the person is known and who their CPN / Social Worker is. The Housing Officer should be working with the Tenancy Enforcement Officer.

If you are not satisfied with the response then discuss with your local Councillor (email them information to make it easy for them after seeing them) and get them to raise a members enquiry. That will get your Housing Officer managers attention. It is important that you are calm when dealing with the Council Officers / Mental health team as Clem Snide says. Do explain the distress that the noise is causing. Avoid any political statements about Housing Benefit or the fact that they live in a 4 bedroom flat or any negative statements regarding mental health as it will make you look harsh. The more reasonable and less judgemental you come accross, the more supportive and understanding the Housing and Health staff will be.

Probably Sound Proofing and dealing with the local Housing Officer will help manage the problem the sufficiently.
  • Options
    The cheapest option...........

• Options

Don't understand how suppositories can help?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I have been in regular contact with the council for months, and the general response is that these things take time. Hopefully I'm starting to get somewhere though. I've even now learned that ear plugs can be used as suppositories! But seriously it is maddening, and the point about being diplomatic is good too, not seeming harsh. It's hard not to though. These houses as well were designed for a time when everybody had similar lives (I live in one of Charlton's ex-arsenal factory streets), so they all got up and went to bed at regular times - so there wasn't as much need for soundproofing when the places were built.
    Anyway thanks again for all the info and hopefully it will all be solved soon.
  • Options

Bribe her with Wotsits?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Might work, might not.