Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jo Pavey

Awesome.
Nearly 41 ... what a time for her career to peak!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtbvWJdIQYE

Comments

• Options
    Great run that.
  • Options
    Unbelievable. Surely a contender for Sports Personality of the Year?
  • Options
    Inspiring, well done!
  • Options
    Fantastic run. What a last lap!
  • Options
    Thought she did brilliant last week in the commonwealth games getting bronze but this was another great effort.

You could see the pain, was convinced the French woman was just sitting pretty and waiting to stroll past.

She almost didnt know what to do once she had finished.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Would have thought she's in with a shout. Is Mcilroy considered Irish these days?
  • Options
    She ran a great tactical race and showed guts to step up the pace with just over 400m to go bearing in mind that the French girl was a quick 1500m finisher.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed watching this last night. Incredible win for a forty year old.
    Though I clearly know nothing about track running as was convinced the French woman was biding her time to sprint past.
    Well done Jo!
  • Options
    Jo Pavey is not only a good runner but she is an inspiration to all those people who reach a certain age. Plus she seems a lovely person.
  • Options
    Hmm unbelievable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surprised no-one has asked.........Would ya?
  • Options
    Fantastic summer for her. Was so please for her in the Commonwealth Games, but this is even better! Would love her to win SPoTY, but surely McIlroy is a shoe in for it?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Rory's got that wrapped up
  • Options
    Have been watching her run on tje circuit for twenty years, was jumping up and down cheering her on last night. Athletes like Pavey are not in the same league as the top Africans, so to see someone like her crown her career with a couple of.great performances has been great to see.
  • Options

Fantastic summer for her. Was so please for her in the Commonwealth Games, but this is even better! Would love her to win SPoTY, but surely McIlroy is a shoe in for it?

Well as he has decided that he is Irish and not British for the Rio Olympics I dont think he should be allowed to.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Well as he has decided that he is Irish and not British for the Rio Olympics I dont think he should be allowed to.
    This. He can have a nomination for overseas personality and pick up his trophy from Vettel otherwise he can swivel on it and wait to pick up RTE's trophy instead.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Jo Pavey or Lizzie Yarnold for me at the moment if Rory wants to be Irish.

If Jo can pick up another medal in the 5k it will be hard to see beyond her.
  • Options
    Unfortunately there is no way the BBC will not let Rory be in the competition.
    What with them having the Open coverage.
  • Options
    Some it up perfectly MrOneLung!!!
  • Options

Hmm unbelievable.

Meaning you're suspicious of her recent improvements? If you look at her record she has been there or thereabouts for many years but never quite finished first in a major competition. I would be amazed and incredibly disappointed if she was found to be up to something and it just doesn't stack up, why start now for example why not a few years ago when Paula Radcliffe was off the scene for starters? If you look also at the history of female distance athletes in particular they have often had their best seasons whilst well into their 30's, Constantina Dita for example was I think 38/39(?) when she won the Olympic marathon. I've read previously it's also not unusual to find 50% or more of elite female runners in a marathon to be 35+.

There's also the theory that having a baby actually increases the bodies ability to process oxygen so she ticks that box too.

You may be right, I hope not and I doubt it though and after a lifetime in athletics I think she deserves her achievements to be celebrated and not called in question in any way until proven otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is more chance my dear nan stage diving at a Slipnot concert than there is of Jo Pavey being a cheat.

Brilliant nights athletics last night, was out last night so unwisely stayed up far too late catching up with a 4hr recording. Great to see so many British medals, though it does emphasise just how far behind Europe appears to be on a World level at athletics nowadays.
  • Options
    I think Mo might give her some competition for sports personality now given his record over the last few years and comparative lack of recognition (because of the similarly exceptional achievements of Wiggins, Murray and others) given his achievements of the last few years.