Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shane Long

One of those unusual players in football whose stock continues to rise regardless of how well he does. Joins Hull, scores 4 times and doubles his value to 12 MILLION! Wow.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/9421712/Transfer-news-Hull-City-reluctantly-ready-to-part-with-Shane-Long

Comments

• Options
    The Premier League needs putting down. Just ridiculous.
  • Options
    Hull are doing some top business recently. Just a shame about all the Hull Tigers rubbish!
  • Options
    Last two seasons:

15 appearances, 3 goals.
    15 appearances, 4 goals.

Worth £12m. Unbelievable. No wonder people look abroad nowadays.
  • Options

Hull are doing some top business recently. Just a shame about all the Hull Tigers rubbish!

I actually think they are ripe to go down and have backed them at 7/2 accordingly. Second seasonitis and the pressure that comes with having to play in the Europa Cup without, unlike Spurs for example, a proper second team, will make it a hard season for them.

• Options
    He's actually one of my favourite strikers, think he's very good on his day, just a bit of bad luck on his side. Very versatile striker. He's not worth that though, big gamble by Southampton and a good bit of cash for Hull, they're doing really well in this transfer window.
  • Options
    Now they are after Deeney..or Welbeck as a replacement.

Depends which paper you read.
  • Options
    Big fan of Shane Long but 12 million is insane. Saints clearly suffering from having so many big money deals done in such a short space of time; teams know they've got the money and know they need to buy
  • Options

He's actually one of my favourite strikers, think he's very good on his day, just a bit of bad luck on his side. Very versatile striker. He's not worth that though, big gamble by Southampton and a good bit of cash for Hull, they're doing really well in this transfer window.

He's a championship striker at best, WBA got over the odds when they sold him for 6m, Hull then realised and couldn't believe their luck when they got double and WBAs sell on was worth a further 600,000.

Poor Southampton, poor summer and season coming up.
  • Options

He's a championship striker at best, WBA got over the odds when they sold him for 6m, Hull then realised and couldn't believe their luck when they got double and WBAs sell on was worth a further 600,000.

Poor Southampton, poor summer and season coming up.
    Ok then.

• Options
    At £12 million I'd get Rhodes in. A goalscorer is a goalscorer and 54 goals in 2 seasons is so good it should be illegal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And yet there are those that bemoan all the 'Johnny Foreigners' were signing
  • Options
    He is foreign tbf
  • Options
    Still amazed that Jordan Rhodes hasn't made the Premier League yet.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

He is foreign tbf

Ok then, signing the non tried and tested. Long is tried and tested, scored 7 goals in 2 seasons according to above post, and costs £12m!

I would rather get through 4 £3m untried and untested players with names I cant pronounce
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

He is foreign tbf

Yeah but not proper foreign though ;-)
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

He is foreign tbf

Ok then, signing the non tried and tested. Long is tried and tested, scored 7 goals in 2 seasons according to above post, and costs £12m!

I would rather get through 4 £3m untried and untested players with names I cant pronounce
    Xisco of Newcastle?
    Soldado for Tottenham?
  • Options
    Although 12 million pound is way to much I feel that putting his scoring record only compare him is slightly unfair. His game is a lot more than just goals which obviously he doesn't get enough. He has pace to stretch defences, a strong lad who's good in the air and holds the ball up well as well as having a superb work rate. To say championship at best is laughable.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Still amazed that Jordan Rhodes hasn't made the Premier League yet.

Likewise.
  • Options
    I think he's a good player. Initial thoughts are similar to others that it is too much money although the true value of a footballer is generally only seen with hindsight. If he goes on to get 15 goals this season we'll all be saying Southampton have done ok.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Agreed, nothing against Long as a player he is decent enough for the Premiership but only rated for that sort of money because he has "experience" in the league.

Hull will be delighted with that deal, crazy money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Although 12 million pound is way to much I feel that putting his scoring record only compare him is slightly unfair. His game is a lot more than just goals which obviously he doesn't get enough. He has pace to stretch defences, a strong lad who's good in the air and holds the ball up well as well as having a superb work rate. To say championship at best is laughable.

I agree, Yann wasnt an out and out goal scorer but was our main man and probably most valuable. But he was a 'gamble' on a free transfer....for £12m I would rather gamble on 2 £6m players from abroad - especially if you arent expecting a goalscorer.

• Options

I agree, Yann wasnt an out and out goal scorer but was our main man and probably most valuable. But he was a 'gamble' on a free transfer....for £12m I would rather gamble on 2 £6m players from abroad - especially if you arent expecting a goalscorer.

I see what you're saying but then I also think if he doesn't do well then he will still have a decent resale value due to his age and like you say having experience, where's a lot of foreign player's who don't succeed down to not being able to adapt tent to go back abroad for a much lesser resale value.