Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kids Advice.

I'm toying with the idea of bringing my son to a game before the weather closes in. He's a boisterous 3 1/2 year old and has asked about coming with dad a couple of times before. Has anyone brought kids this young and how did it work out? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Personally I've always said to myself that when I have kids I wont take them to Charlton until their between 8-10 years old (not just out of respect to the people around me but because at that age I reckon they would pay attention to the game more)

At the same time I'd probably sit down at home and watch a few games each week with the kids from a younger age and if they proved me wrong by being able to sit and being able to appreciate the game I'd probably take them then
  • Options
    Keep em entertained, not too often maybe twice a year as you won't see too much of the match
  • Options
    Took my boy when he was about 3 as he'd been on at me to take him for ages.

Took a load of sweets and crisps and the ipad. He enjoyed it for about an hour and wanted to go home.

Taken him a few times since and he really enjoys it. Doesn't always want to stay the full 90 mins but then neither do I to be honest!

I'm thinking about not bringing him anymore though as he's been about 6 or 7 times and still never seen us score.
  • Options
    Take him and then use the threat of taking him again as a sort of bogeyman situation.
  • Options
    Be prepared for him to get bored quite quickly as at that age he won't understand whats going on on the pitch . I'd take him in the club shop or the stall to get something CAFC as well . Dont get a flag though , as even in the family section we were nt allowed to take this in because the stick was regarded as a weapon ....
  • Options
    My boy is same age, but think will wait till next season to take him.
    Dont think he could handle sitting there for that long at moment.
  • Options

Personally I've always said to myself that when I have kids I wont take them to Charlton until their between 8-10 years old (not just out of respect to the people around me but because at that age I reckon they would pay attention to the game more)

At the same time I'd probably sit down at home and watch a few games each week with the kids from a younger age and if they proved me wrong by being able to sit and being able to appreciate the game I'd probably take them then

They won't have the attention span at that age.

This post will be exactly what I do when I find a woman stupid/unlucky enough to have kids with me.
  • Options
    Loving the optimism @Huskaris
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Took my son and daughter from about 4 to the odd game. They were more excited about the food, drink, Floyd and Harvey but did watch the football for the first 20 minutes! then the pigeons were more interesting. Also be prepared for constant questions throughout the game when you are trying to watch :-)
    My daughter is now 21 and goes to the odd game home or away and my son is 19 and is currently on about his 10th consecutive season ticket. Going to Charlton is something we do together and it's great
    o yes and the club shop is a must of course
  • Options
    my 2 age 7 and 4 both have season tickets and love it, started them at 4 and was hard the first couple of games but they now have shirts with names on etc...and love it, just make sure you have a few sweets and a magazine and they'll be fine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Warm clothes, sweets and let him know about the silly men who will be shouting/swearing.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, most of it was going around in my head anyway but its good to get a second opinion. I think I'll wait until the back end of the season and then take plenty of distractions (the iPads a good idea). When you live in Crystal Palace it's important you teach your boy who he supports before anyone else gets their claws into him :-)
  • Options
    Pretty much what everyone else has said but don't make the mistake of getting there too early like I did aim for 5-10 minutes before KO.
  • Options
    I took my son along last season (he's 4), and sweets are the way forward. He enjoyed the atmosphere and singing more than the game, but he stayed entertained until about the 70 minute mark and then wanted to play his DS.

Its nice taking them along, but they're probably a bit young to fully enjoy it all. They're more excited about being with Dad and his mates, and seeing what they do on match day.
  • Options
    I have, I bought my daughter from 3 months old. It was easy at that age. To be honest at 3 years old it depends on the child if crowds and noise are likely to bother him then don't do it. If you do do it be armed with drinks sweets and portable toys, 2 hours is a long time for a toddler to sit still. With most of my kids I tried reserve games 1st to get an idea of how well they behave, the odd friendly and cup games then the league. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Taking my 5 year old grandson tomorrow. Took him when he was 4 and it was a nightmare. He says he doesn't want to go but we are forcing the issue. He is mascot for the Midds game so he needs to be at home down there, Ha Ha.
  • Options
    Mine has been going for about 18 months (most - not all games and certainly no evening games). He just turned 2. Gets a bit fidgety sometimes but there's always a couple of seats around me he can sit in or go for a wander. Take snacks and something to occupy and it's fine.

Sit in the lower West so no problems with loud noises or shouting

To be honest my Dad took me since as long as I can remember and I'm thankful for that. I love to spend time with him at the games now and I hope my son feels the same. If he shows no interest as he gets older then I'll rethink but, as it stands, I get to spend some time with my son who I rarely see in the week as im at work
  • Options

I have, I bought my daughter from 3 months old. It was easy at that age. To be honest at 3 years old it depends on the child if crowds and noise are likely to bother him then don't do it. If you do do it be armed with drinks sweets and portable toys, 2 hours is a long time for a toddler to sit still. With most of my kids I tried reserve games 1st to get an idea of how well they behave, the odd friendly and cup games then the league. Hope this helps.

Three months !!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    As others have said it depends on the individual child but in my opinion 3 is too young for either of you to enjoy it properly.

Six to eight dependent on the attention span of the individual child is the right sort of age in my view.
  • Options
    Riscardo said:

Three months !!!!
    Yes 3 months I had her in a baby carrier with her little mini Charlton kit on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I first took my son from 8 months, and every match since more or less (less now he is a student).
  • Options
    Started taking my son at about age 4 wasn't always easy, had plenty of sweets and games on my iPhone with headphones! Also group of us go including his nan....big help. He's now 9 and is proper die hard Charlton.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

Took my boy when he was about 3 as he'd been on at me to take him for ages.

Took a load of sweets and crisps and the ipad. He enjoyed it for about an hour and wanted to go home.

Taken him a few times since and he really enjoys it. Doesn't always want to stay the full 90 mins but then neither do I to be honest!

I'm thinking about not bringing him anymore though as he's been about 6 or 7 times and still never seen us score.

I remember when you took your daughter to a game. A hell of a lot prettier than you, must take after her mum. ;)

• Options
    I wrote up an account of my experience taking a 3-year old to his first game in 2010:

http://newyorkaddick.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/my-boy-lollipop.html#comments

He is now seven and it is enjoyable for both of us - I'd wait a little longer.
  • Options
    Shag said:

Be prepared for him to get bored quite quickly as at that age he won't understand whats going on on the pitch . I'd take him in the club shop or the stall to get something CAFC as well . Dont get a flag though , as even in the family section we were nt allowed to take this in because the stick was regarded as a weapon ....

I get bored quite quickly at Charlton games and I do understand what's going on on the pitch.
  • Options
    Don't go in til half time, then you get to see the game to the end.