Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The charlton bug

edited August 2014 in General Charlton
My 10 year old son had a season ticket the 1st season in league 1 (ok maybe a little young but he wanted one) he went for half a season then said during a game" dad is it finished yet I'm bored and I never wanna come back and watch this rubbish again" which I couldn't argue with.he now has a season ticket this season and I fear the poor boy has what every charlton fan has the charlton bug.i have warned him he's in for a life of rare happy times lots of sad times along with disappointments but he said that's ok I love them.
During today's game when we scored he was jumping around more than iv ever seen him at a charlton game then he sat gutted when they equalised during the 2nd half he was quiet I was expecting the "how long left dad I'm bored" I asked if he was ok he said iv got butterflies in my belly I must be nervous.then the late winner I looked at him and he was crying I said what's wrong he just said " I'm so happy that's why in crying" I think it's 100% the boy has the charlton bug

Comments

• Options
    The greatest gift of all.
  • Options
    Love it
  • Options
    He gets slaughtered at school being a charlton fan coz all his pals support the big boys so he could easily follow his mate but im proud to say he's followed his dad
  • Options
    Fantastic .Welcome , no cure I'm afraid but then again we ve never asked.Great post.
  • Options
    Good Lad! well happy for him! my first Charlton match was:

17.05.2010 sf-2 Swindon Town home W2-1 aet (3-3)
    (Swindon Town won on penalties)

I was 24 and I couldn't find the buzz i used to get watching my childhood team up in Scotland, but that match changed all that!

Had a season ticket since.

It is amazing when you get the buzz!
  • Options
    Can't beat it Dan, my son turned 13 last month and loves Charlton as much as me, my job in life is fulfilled.
  • Options
    dancafc said:

He gets slaughtered at school being a charlton fan coz all his pals support the big boys so he could easily follow his mate but im proud to say he's followed his dad

I've taught mine to respond, "listen, you can't tell me anything about football if you've only ever watched it on tv." It either shuts the protagonists up or confuses them.
  • Options
    That's what my mate said when I bought him his shirt but then he can't talk he's a gills fan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    good call he told one of them at least I can go and watch my team live

• Options
    I believe Childline has a whole department dedicated to Charlton fans...

Great story though dan
  • Options
    That's an excellent story.

Sure a lot of us can remember heading to watch Charlton as a youngster and feeling the mighty highs and crippling lows. 20+ years later and Charlton scoring still has me bouncing around like a clown.
  • Options
    Funny enough this season against boro will be 20 years to the day of my 1st game it was a coca cola cup 2nd leg game against Swindon I don't know if anyone remembers it it was the game when Jan Åge Fjørtoft kicked the ball up into the old West stand and the ball got stuck in the front of the roof
  • Options
    This is genuinely the number one reason I look forward to having a son.
  • Options
    I was the same I did fear we might have lost him to the cracking football that was league 1
  • Options

dancafc said:

I've taught mine to respond, "listen, you can't tell me anything about football if you've only ever watched it on tv." It either shuts the protagonists up or confuses them.
    Problem with that is quite a few of my sons mates have been to a few Arsenal,WestHam and Spurs games with their dads .... Gotta pick your foes !
  • Options
    His pre match beer helped him though!
  • Options
    amazing stuff dan!!!

think i've had it for about 15 years and it doesn't seem like it's going away
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dancafc said:

My 10 year old son had a season ticket the 1st season in league 1 (ok maybe a little young but he wanted one) he went for half a season then said during a game" dad is it finished yet I'm bored and I never wanna come back and watch this rubbish again" which I couldn't argue with.he now has a season ticket this season and I fear the poor boy has what every charlton fan has the charlton bug.i have warned him he's in for a life of rare happy times lots of sad times along with disappointments but he said that's ok I love them.
    During today's game when we scored he was jumping around more than iv ever seen him at a charlton game then he sat gutted when they equalised during the 2nd half he was quiet I was expecting the "how long left dad I'm bored" I asked if he was ok he said iv got butterflies in my belly I must be nervous.then the late winner I looked at him and he was crying I said what's wrong he just said " I'm so happy that's why in crying" I think it's 100% the boy has the charlton bug

You're getting me all broody lol, better think about getting a mrs lol
  • Options
    Love it
  • Options
    dancafc said:

Funny enough this season against boro will be 20 years to the day of my 1st game it was a coca cola cup 2nd leg game against Swindon I don't know if anyone remembers it it was the game when Jan Åge Fjørtoft kicked the ball up into the old West stand and the ball got stuck in the front of the roof

That was on my 30th birthday. Mrs Algarve had got us directors box tickets, full hospitality package with three course meal, 3-1 up from the first leg. What could possibly go wrong...
  • Options
    Preferable to Ebola I suppose ;-)