Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Think its a great idea!
  • Options
    Brilliant idea and one that I hope the club takes up. Some of our midweek games are horrendous this year. I cannot see there being a great impact on numbers going as those who travel to the more difficult away games tend to be those who either (a) want to see it live at the ground or (b) live near that ground.

Looks like there is money to be made from it and given all that RD has done this season, I would be surprised if the club wasn't looking into this.
  • Options
    and proceeds to a very worthy cause it seems. Well done Albion.
  • Options
    Like the idea. Maybe they could offer bed and breakfast too and then we'd never have to leave???
  • Options

Be awesome if they did as weve seriously been given some nasty away matches midweek this season BUT reckon it should only become available once X number of away tickets have been sold... Need to find ways to fill grounds not empty them

The potential impact on away attendances does need to be considered. As @craigcafc says, I don't think it would impact on the loyal 150-200 who are willing to go to Huddersfield on a Tuesday night in January, but I reckon games like Norwich and Leeds where we might expect to take 500-800 could be adversely affected.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Be awesome if they did as weve seriously been given some nasty away matches midweek this season BUT reckon it should only become available once X number of away tickets have been sold... Need to find ways to fill grounds not empty them

The potential impact on away attendances does need to be considered. As @craigcafc says, I don't think it would impact on the loyal 150-200 who are willing to go to Huddersfield on a Tuesday night in January, but I reckon games like Norwich and Leeds where we might expect to take 500-800 could be adversely affected.
    If our away support dwindles even more Oohaah will will have a melt down. I'm not convinced it's a good idea.
  • Options
    Another excuse we could add to our many ...

Brighton have a lot tougher journeys to make than us
  • Options
    Charlton have 6 away midweek games

Norwich 30th September.
    Leeds 4th November.
    Ipswich 30th December
    Derby 24th February
    Blackpool 17th March
    Bolton 14th April

Mid week games should be played against fairly local clubs this season there are six clubs within 60miles of London, the way the fixtures are this season with 2 home games followed by 2 away games does not take into account the fans. Wigan travelled to us on Saturday and Cardiff tomorrow night hardly the way to encourage away fans to games. Most of Charlton's midweek games mean public transport is unavailable to get home after the game.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Mid week games should be played against fairly local clubs this season there are six clubs within 60miles of London, the way the fixtures are this season with 2 home games followed by 2 away games does not take into account the fans. Wigan travelled to us on Saturday and Cardiff tomorrow night hardly the way to encourage away fans to games. Most of Charlton's midweek games mean public transport is unavailable to get home after the game.

Please... Could you stop with your common sense, the Football authorities dont like it as it makes them look like total idiots... Oh no hang on wait!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

MrLargo said:

If our away support dwindles even more Oohaah will will have a melt down. I'm not convinced it's a good idea.
    He's right though. Our away support is poor, and not just for midweek trips to Huddersfield. Not sure it's a good idea either, which is not to say that I wouldn't take advantage if they did show away games at the Valley.
  • Options
    Beamback the Ipswich game - if it is still £35 a ticket !
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Norwich 30th September.
    Leeds 4th November.
    Ipswich 30th December
    Derby 24th February
    Blackpool 17th March
    Bolton 14th April

I disagree - the midweek games should ideally be the furthest away, not the closest. A long-distance midweek game inconveniences far fewer travelling fans than a midweek local derby because in short, less of them would attend regardless of which day the game took place.

In the case of Leeds for example, we will likely take 300 as opposed to perhaps 600 on a Saturday, so by definition no more than this number are inconvenienced (the 300 with a harder journey and 300 unable to watch the lads win at Elland Road).

Importantly the clubs would greatly prefer playing local derbies on a Saturday or bank holiday because the potential crowds are so much larger (from both home and away fans) compared to a midweek fixture.
  • Options
    Main problem is likely to be securing the home club's agreement as they are bound to protect their revenue - even if the numbers likely to be involved are trivial. That has always been the issue in the past, although the camera set-up was often inadequate too. But things move on.
  • Options
    The thought of a beam back just brings memories of losing to Bolton in the 1/4 final.
    For that reason and that reason alone, I say no to the idea....now move on.
  • Options

Main problem is likely to be securing the home club's agreement as they are bound to protect their revenue - even if the numbers likely to be involved are trivial. That has always been the issue in the past, although the camera set-up was often inadequate too. But things move on.

Could we offer to share the profit from ticket sales for the beamback ?

Perhaps a reasonable compromise would be to only beamback games which were outside a specific radius (maybe 200 miles) or where there's no way to get back that night by train ?
  • Options
    NYA

Leeds are playing at home to Reading on a Tuesday and Sheffield Weds at home on the following Saturday. If these two fixtures were swopped I think the attedance over the two games would be much the same if not better, unfortunatly outside agencies ie police would prefer a few hundred Reading/Charlton supporters than three thousand SW fans to control on a tuesday night. Hence Charlton will not play Millwall on a Tuesday.
  • Options

Another excuse we could add to our many ...

Brighton have a lot tougher journeys to make than us

We would not even fill out Bartrams.
  • Options
    Burnley v Chelsea on Sky now.

Chelsea have filled the whole end, Monday night on the tele, without question that will be the best following all season.

Very apathetic towards Chelsea but that is a great turnout.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Norwich 30th September.
    Leeds 4th November.
    Ipswich 30th December
    Derby 24th February
    Blackpool 17th March
    Bolton 14th April

This, we did Leeds the other year, last train 9.45 so we had to mega bus it home, getting to Victoria at about 6am... Was grim! Of the 3 grounds in this league I've not done 2 (Norwich and Derby) are midweek. Might just about manage Norwich but Derby is unlikely! Beam back has no interest for me, I remember us doing it against Bolton in the cup in 2000 I think, was a strange experience
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Burnley v Chelseegsky now.

Chelsea have filled the whole end, Monday night on the tele, without question that will be the best following all season.

Arsenal would do the same but agree cracking support no matter what club is it.
  • Options

Burnley v Chelsea now.

• Options

Burnley v Chelsea now.

Whilst we could not muster 400 up there on a Saturday last season, suppose there must have been a beamback at The Valley!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Perhaps a reasonable compromise would be to only beamback games which were outside a specific radius (maybe 200 miles) or where there's no way to get back that night by train ?
    Reasonable compromise but - if you assume that it will affect the away turnout by 100, say, and the average net revenue at the away ground is £20 (high) that's £2k. They may well assume more.

From Charlton's perspective if you assume 400 people in lounges at The Valley that's £5 (plus VAT) on a ticket to compensate the home club, before you cover the other costs. If they want £5k that's probably unrecoverable.

What can you charge? £10 top whack, I'd say. Plus you've just franchised out the hospitality areas and may have to pay to hire them back (I'm guessing). You don't get the bar takings.

I'm not saying it can't be done, especially in favourable circumstances, but the numbers may not work in the way people assume. I don't see the club being willing to subsidise it on a regular basis.

• Options

Burnley v Chelsea now.

Whilst we could not muster 400 up there on a Saturday last season, suppose there must have been a beamback at The Valley!
    If we played like Chelsea, I'd go to Burnley on a Monday night :-)
  • Options

se9addick said:

Reasonable compromise but - if you assume that it will affect the away turnout by 100, say, and the average net revenue at the away ground is £20 (high) that's £2k. They may well assume more.

From Charlton's perspective if you assume 400 people in lounges at The Valley that's £5 (plus VAT) on a ticket to compensate the home club, before you cover the other costs. If they want £5k that's probably unrecoverable.

What can you charge? £10 top whack, I'd say. Plus you've just franchised out the hospitality areas and may have to pay to hire them back (I'm guessing). You don't get the bar takings.

I'm not saying it can't be done, especially in favourable circumstances, but the numbers may not work in the way people assume. I don't see the club being willing to subsidise it on a regular basis.

That's the thing, it'll only be 6 or so times a season. Maybe 10 at an absolute maximum in any one season? I do think that it would be hard to make money off of it but we've seen that Roland will spend a bit of money here and there if it's what the fans want.
  • Options

se9addick said:

That's the thing, it'll only be 6 or so times a season. Maybe 10 at an absolute maximum in any one season? I do think that it would be hard to make money off of it but we've seen that Roland will spend a bit of money here and there if it's what the fans want.
    I think there's possibly a difference between investing in "the product" to make it more attractive and therefore more likely to attract and retain supporters and putting money into something that is unlikely to make any tangible contribution to improving the business, even though it might be popular with existing loyalists. I'm guessing, but I don't see a business case for losing money on it.

• Options
    I remember watching Man utd v Charlton in 2001 at the valley on a big screen.

Remember it went mental when Mark Fish scored an equaliser.
  • Options
    Was at that beamback match too... Didnt Solskjaer do his usual lil bastard act of scoring late on against us to make it 2-1?
  • Options

Was at that beamback match too... Didnt Solskjaer do his usual lil bastard act of scoring late on against us to make it 2-1?

Yeah Andy cole scored then Fish then Ole