Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Taking photos at matches

What are the rules about taking a camera into a football stadium, somewhere in the back of mind is the thought that it is forbidden due to copyright regs????

Although I would love to take my camera to a match I'm always worried that it will be confiscated and as it is a reasonably sized camera I can't hide it and wouldn't want to loose it to some security guard.

Comments

• Options
    The player's image, the CAFC logo and the playing strip are all protected - but I doubt anyone would say anything unless you published the pics for gain.
  • Options
    Best sending an email to the club beforehand for permission, and taking along a print out of the return email as proof. Just in case.
  • Options
    I've no idea what the rules are, but I've taken my camera to The Valley on several occasions with no problems. I do try to be discrete about it though - well, about as discrete as one can be with an 8" lens sticking out the front.

I do have a friend that's been stopped from taking pictures at another ground though. I don't think it was confiscated, but he was warned that he'd be ejected from the ground if they saw it again.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    You need to read Ground Regs 16 and 19. cafc.co.uk/tickets/ground-regulations.aspx

It's a little odd. 16 suggests they are quite relaxed about stuff taken on a mobile phone for "personal use" (and, of course phones have mega pixel cameras now)! But are a bit more worried about regular cameras. I suspect what they are really concerned with is HD video recording and they'd be okay about a stills camera. If you find out from the club please post up the response.
  • Options
    19 Save as set out in paragraph 16 above, no person (other than a person who holds an appropriate licence) may bring into the Ground or use within the Ground any equipment, which is capable of recording or transmitting (by digital or other means) any audio, visual or audio-visual material or any information or data in relation to the Match or the Ground. Copyright, database rights and any other intellectual property rights in any unauthorised recording or transmission is assigned (by way of present assignment of future rights to the Club and The Football League. You further agree (if and whenever required to do so by the Club and/or The Football League) to promptly execute all instruments and do all things necessary to vest the right, title and interest in such rights to the Club and The Football League absolutely and with full title guarantee.

16 Mobile telephones are permitted within the Ground, provided that they are used for personal and private use only and provided that no audio, visual or audio-visual material captured by a mobile telephone may be published or otherwise made available to any third parties including, without limitation, via social networking sites.

The 2 ground regulations as shown above on the club website are the closest to bringing a camera into the ground. Maybe best to check with the club before though I have never seen anyone have their equipment confiscated before.

It's a bit like the one below. I have never seen that used by club officials in the upper North toilets either ;-)

15 Football League stadia are smoke-free and smoking is not permitted inside the ground
  • Options
    Was told at Elland road I couldn't take a photo on my phone lol... did it anyway cos im 'ard like that..
  • Options
    Stig said:

I do try to be discrete about it though - well, about as discrete as one can be with an 8" lens sticking out the front.

Oo-er
  • Options

The player's image, the CAFC logo and the playing strip are all protected - but I doubt anyone would say anything unless you published the pics for gain.

Is our new design green stripy turf protected also?
  • Options
    The club sent out an e-mail today--Thanks for you support, post match review, Bobs comments, etc and this was on there
    TWEET US YOUR PICS FROM THE MATCH @CAFCOfficial

© 2014 Charlton Athletic FC C

Answers the question I suppose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would like to think if it was to gain financially, or pass themselves off as CAFC that the club would have reservations.

I think most people just want to gain a memory for personal use, and I cannot see any harm in that.
    Selling images or reproducing a book for commercial gain, may be another thing, and certainly you should get approval from the press office, and accreditation.
    I always approach the club, through the press office, and they are very helpful.
    As others have posted the phone camera is pretty good resolution these days, someone took a great photo of the Valley at the Colchester game posted on this very site, hopefully the club will take a sensible approach to fan's that are just proud to promote there club.
    Of course you could object to your image being used, ( as my photo of the museum logo that I designed on another posting on here) but frankly I am delighted that that someone is promoting the club/museum. That was what I designed it for.
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

Is our new design green stripy turf protected also?
    I believe that Burberry have the copyright on that.
  • Options
    I've never had a problem talking a camera in although I have had YouTube videos of goals taken down but I think that's more to do with the football league not the club.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    They did try to chuck me out, or rather a Jobsworth did back in the days of the Prem. But I do try to take non playing time football photos only. In that way I hope to give an idea of what it was like, 'pour encourager les autres.' I do watch the game, but all too often, the off field events are more interesting. I don't sell and anyone can, and has, used my images including ITTV. (Now that was hard to take ;-)
    I always remember lunatics like Ozaddick, if images help to keep them in touch, then I'm happy.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

Stig said:

I do try to be discrete about it though - well, about as discrete as one can be with an 8" lens sticking out the front.

Oo-er
    Oh there's boasting!!!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Plaaayer said:

Does no one just watch the game anymore?

At least it's not as bad as going to gigs these days. You're surrounded by annoying twats taking photos and videos, instead of watching the gig.

Personally, I think they must be pretty sad & have to stick the photos on facebook or whatever.

Look at me, I'm having a great time, aren't you jealous. Look, at me I go out sometimes !
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Plaaayer said:

At least it's not as bad as going to gigs these days. You're surrounded by annoying twats taking photos and videos, instead of watching the gig.

Personally, I think they must be pretty sad & have to stick the photos on facebook or whatever.

Look at me, I'm having a great time, aren't you jealous. Look, at me I go out sometimes !
    Very true, and there's even research that supports that view.

There was a study recently that suggested people who use social networking sites heavily are more likely to have low self-esteem and view there own lives in a more negative manner; purely because they only see the positive images that their peers post.

This obviously leads to a catch 22 position where people then post the best bits of their day online, and receive validation via the approval of their peers, thus temporarily alleviating their own feelings of self doubt but causing similar effect on others.

Personally, I post a few pics on instagram when the mood takes me but generally ignore most social media; I make the exception for twitter as it keeps me up to date with the news and generally makes my commute a little more enjoyable.

It's come close to ruining relationships for me to be honest, nothing worse than being with someone who seems obsessed with reading their Facebook feed that consists of people they barely like and people they haven't seen in years.

That said, there's often some cracking pics on twitter and instagram from The Valley, and like all things, in moderation social media is pretty cool.

Regarding the camera, I get the impression Charlton has it covered in the T&Cs that they can do whatever they want if you take a camera in; but in reality they encourage it as long as you don't take the piss or try and gain financially out of it. Seems a fair policy to me!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    I'll have you know I'm in my prime! ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plaaayer said:

Something that always raises my eyebrows, when we score, and instead of mental delerium, people frantically pulling out their iphone to film. Maybe they're hoping to catch the replay?...............
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Surely taking a snap on your phone and then posting it to something like Instagram is nothing but free exposure for the club
  • Options
    The ones of Bob giving it large against Rosler on here this week made my day. I love to see candic pics from the fans eye view. The best vids are taken as a goal is scored and it all kicks off.
  • Options
    Shared photos publicise the club and that has to be a good thing
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Ive had hassle from a steward at an away match using my SLR with a 300 lens. He said he didn't mind people taking photos with their mobiles but I was taking the piss. So fairly crappy photos are ok ! It doesn't help being one of a very few travelling supporters.
  • Options

Plaaayer said:

Something that always raises my eyebrows, when we score, and instead of mental delerium, people frantically pulling out their iphone to film. Maybe they're hoping to catch the replay?...............
    With wifi at the ground now, I instinctively tried to capture some of the celebrations after the last minute winner to post on here for those not at the game. I know what it's like to read the match thread and yearn for a bit more. That work for you or do your eyebrows remain on high?
  • Options

Surely taking a snap on your phone and then posting it to something like Instagram is nothing but free exposure for the club

Presumably the rules are to protect the TV rights and those of the freelance photographers trying to make a living out of it. Very little of what we shoot will cause a problem for either, but if you were to film regularly from a good vantage point and post the goals on a YT channel, then the rules would probably be upheld. It would very very, very simple in the near future, if not now, to get fans to work together to produce around the grounds coverage on one site. We mostly carry hd cameras and the wi-fi makes it simple to share.