Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton BR Station post Derby match.

What the hell was all that about? Police shutting the gates to the downline platform for 15 minutes, causing massive crowd congestion. Bloody woodentops!

Comments

• Options
    DA7 said:

What the hell was all that about? Police shutting the gates to the downline platform for 15 minutes, causing massive crowd congestion. Bloody woodentops!

As you say "what was all that about". If you don't know the reasons for that, then how can you comment ("bloody woodentops") in a derogatory fashion??
  • Options
    Apparently after that result they thought Charlton fans were going up, so they probably decided there was no need for a down line...
  • Options
    Has anyone else noticed that there seem to be a hell of a lot of police at the top of Floyd road post match this season? Proper overkill. Nice bit of easy OT for them though.
  • Options
    Maybe it's a new ploy to prevent opposite sets of fans goading one another before their trains come in given that nearly all away fans travel London bound unless it is the Gills. My concern though was that a bottle neck had been created and we all know what can happen if a subsequent crowd surge takes place, a strong possibility given that the gates weren't opened for 15 mins until the first train actually came in :-(
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Maybe it's a new ploy to prevent opposite sets of fans goading one another before their trains come in given that nearly all away fans travel London bound unless it is the Gills. My concern though was that a bottle neck had been created and we all know what can happen if a subsequent crowd surge takes place, a strong possibility given that the gates weren't opened for 15 mins until the first train actually came in :-(

Think this man has hit the nail on the head and agree that it's probably more dangerous with the surge of the crowd, that said, I'm London bound so no problem for me.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

DA7 said:

As you say "what was all that about". If you don't know the reasons for that, then how can you comment ("bloody woodentops") in a derogatory fashion??
    oink oink
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

DA7 said:

Bloody Hell officer, how can you do the job and be that sensitive?
  • Options
    DA7 said:

I was wondering about that as well (I mentioned it in one of the other rail related threads!)

No restrictions on the London bound side (mixed Charlton Derby) while the platform on the Kent side was basically empty, so clearly there must a problem in that direction?

Incidentally, unless it's a local derby, the London bound side always has more Charlton than opposition supporters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just knew it would be chaos after the game so didn't take up the offer of my free tickets as had to be in Bethnal green by 6 without fail and I am one of those who stays to the end to applaud my team off win,lose or draw just don't see the point in going if your going to sneak out before the end
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

DA7 said:

Are you offended? After Millwall a couple of seasons back, we all know the Police do make ridiculous decisions.

• Options
    C

Just knew it would be chaos after the game so didn't take up the offer of my free tickets as had to be in Bethnal green by 6 without fail and I am one of those who stays to the end to applaud my team off win,lose or draw just don't see the point in going if your going to sneak out before the end

What?

• Options
    Last week against Colchester I got to the up platform around 9.40, the gates were shut, the 9.40 train came in about 30 seconds later but the railway staff or police wouldn't let anyone through, seemed a bit stupid to me as there were people who wanted that train and could easily have got it as it wasn't a big crowd that night.

So this week the down platform gates are closed. There was quite a crowd there so when the police open the gates when the train arrives surely there's going to be a mad rush to get on the train?

Never seen any problems on the down platform, if there's bit of banter going on so what.

Seems the police just want to show who's in charge and piss people off and then complain that the public don't support them when they want help.

• Options
    Can't someone call the local station (police or railway) and ask?
  • Options

Can't someone call the local station (police or railway) and ask?

I nominate @DA7‌ Good luck with that mate :-)
  • Options
    Did anyone think to check the trees?
  • Options

sure you would have made Charlton to Bethnal Green by 6am.

• Options
    The volume of coppers recently might have something to do with the brawl/fight outside the shops after the Colchester game, when there were no coppers anywhere around...
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

The volume of coppers recently might have something to do with the brawl/fight outside the shops after the Colchester game, when there were no coppers anywhere around...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.