Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New European Cities to visit - Help

Comments

• Options

I'd recommend Copenhagen, Porto and Belgrade. All cities I have visited in the last 12 months, all three are fantastic cities yet very differnt culturally.

I'm sure you've been to Copenhagen, being based in Stockholm but for those who havn't I'd throughly recommend it, beautiful city with lovely parks and scenery.

Porto is a real gem, fantastic wine, sea food and SuperBok is now one of my favourite lagers. Architecture too is incredible.

Belgrade, lovely differnt type of food, brilliant nightlife, rich with history and nice people who are genuinely humbled and thankful you have chosen to visit their city. I really want to see more of Serbia, Novi Sad is also meant to be great, not a lot of tourists there at all still so you get a great feel for the place.

No accounting for taste... :-)

Brussels is a fantastic city, and you can get real beer and lager that is worth drinking
    Yes nice lager in Belgium, but SuperBok is for sure worth drinking, lovely pale lager brewed in the suburbs of Porto. Try it for y'self!
    I think Algarve has tried more Superboks than he cares to think about, given that he has run a bar on the Algarve:-)

Wait til you get to Prague and try unpasteurised Pilsner Urquell
  • Options
    byl said:

I'd recommend Copenhagen, Porto and Belgrade. All cities I have visited in the last 12 months, all three are fantastic cities yet very differnt culturally.

I'm sure you've been to Copenhagen, being based in Stockholm but for those who havn't I'd throughly recommend it, beautiful city with lovely parks and scenery.

Porto is a real gem, fantastic wine, sea food and SuperBok is now one of my favourite lagers. Architecture too is incredible.

Belgrade, lovely differnt type of food, brilliant nightlife, rich with history and nice people who are genuinely humbled and thankful you have chosen to visit their city. I really want to see more of Serbia, Novi Sad is also meant to be great, not a lot of tourists there at all still so you get a great feel for the place.

Brussels is a fantastic city, and you can get real beer and lager that is worth drinking
    meh - if you fancy a trip to belgium do Antwerpen - Gent - Brugge. way more authentic and nicer cities than brussels
    Only been to Bruges out of those- lovely place I agree. I happen to like Brussels a lot, thank you very much Judith... ;-)
  • Options
    Lisbon and Coimbra
    Riga
  • Options
    Utrecht
    Alesund
    Bilbao
    Barcelona
  • Options

Yes nice lager in Belgium, but SuperBok is for sure worth drinking, lovely pale lager brewed in the suburbs of Porto. Try it for y'self!
    I think Algarve has tried more Superboks than he cares to think about, given that he has run a bar on the Algarve:-)

I think I gathered that, the try it for yourself was aimed at everyone else but Algarve.

Have been to Prague a few times and tried it on a number of occasions, very nice.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Of places I've been it really depends what you're after:

Nice break with the mrs - Dubrovnik, Barcelona, Rimini, Bruges, Krakow, Copenhagen.

Lads/football - Krakow, Amsterdam, Dussledorf, Hamburg, Munich, Budva, Bucharest, Barcelona, Kiev.

Few crossovers.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Valencia, split and Munich are 3 favourites of mine.
  • Options
    Debrecen. Lovely place, the airport is a 5 minute drive away. Its clean, lots of places to eat, cheap and has a nice football ground too
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    What about magaluf for a bit of carnage?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Krakow, incredible place with heartwarming friendly people. Some wonderful architecture, and Wawel castle is unreal, it's where Camelot meets Windsor. Not so keen on their gloopy stewy dumplings with everything food, but hey ho. Walks, drinks, unbelievable hot chocolate in a book shop, alcoholic cherry flavours everywhere, the original flower power people in the market, jazz, the inevitable crap designer shops, water walkways, beautiful natural looking women hideously mismatched with gross pot bellied old men. There are the usual hard nosed persuasive spivs ( or good looking smartly dressed young men who prey on women like me!) who wish to persuade idiot tourists to part with their readies. So wise up and read up before you go! Share taxis and save your money! Did I remember to tell you that the Salt Mines are phenomenal?
    But.............you may not ignore Auschwitz-Birkenau. A warning however, I strongly advise everyone to leave this visit until their last day. Allow more time for Birkenau than the guides suggest, for it is here that you need time to wander and reflect. The ever present sound of the keen wind is haunting yet , chillingly, a wilderness where no birds can be heard. The decaying structures defiantly tell the world why so many of us older anti -Fascist Guardianistas nags say 'Never Again'. Take a single, fresh beautiful flower to leave on the infamous rail tracks, it is all that any of us can do now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think I gathered that, the try it for yourself was aimed at everyone else but Algarve.

Have been to Prague a few times and tried it on a number of occasions, very nice.
    Apologies then.

I remember that AA was writing a while ago how he didnt rate Portuguese lagers from the big brewers and I gave them a try in July and made him right. But the wine is great and great value.

And we really liked Aveiro as well as Coimbra, and both have first division footie teams. Portugal generally is fabulous, and now I know why two of my mates have bought homes there.

What about Tallinn? I haven't been yet

• Options

, beautiful natural looking women hideously mismatched with gross pot bellied old men.

Oi, one visit with the missus and you manage to pick me out ;-)
  • Options
    Munich and Berlin would recommend.
  • Options
    Berlin, Amsterdam, Seville, San Sebastian (two La Liga teams now - Real Sociedad and Eibar), Bilbao, Florence
  • Options
    Trieste is good, some very smaller cities and towns in France like La Rochelle, Bayonne and Montpellier and in Corsica Ajaccio and Bastia
  • Options
    Tallinn, Dubrovnik, Prague, Innsbrook, Zurich, Helsinki could go on. Am off to Riga in a couple of weeks and am expecting good things.
  • Options
    sralan said:

Krakow..... fantastic place.

PragueAddick.... last time I was in Liege, it pee'd hard so didn't see much of the place.

I had the same experience in Liege.

Budapest, Bratislava, Munich and Brussels all recommended.
  • Options
    Great time recently in Tallinn. Not as cheap as I'd thought it would be though. Strongly recommend Sevilla, Prague and Lisbon as well.

• Options
    Spent last 4 hol's in Italy.

Verona is my no one, Sienna, Florence, Lucca.

Also Barcelona- great atmosphere, Dubrovnic.
  • Options
    Clem-Snide if you have not been to Vinius i would same go for a few days if you can a lovely place full of history and culture also some wondeful architecture
    lovely folk and cheaper than Tallinn
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hi Prague yes Tallinn was a lovely place i would say its well worth a trip may i suggest stockholm day amd night milf cruise to helsinki for day and night and then ferry to Tallinn Prague was a fleeting visit for me train from Dresden and a speed march round the city but would love to go back when less Stag do's in town thats the good thing living here its far to expensive for any sane stag do to come here...then again ater a number of years here we do know the place to drink and not drink
  • Options
    Redcar, Bolton and Boston.
  • Options
    Salamanca, Spain.
  • Options

Krakow, incredible place with heartwarming friendly people. Some wonderful architecture, and Wawel castle is unreal, it's where Camelot meets Windsor. Not so keen on their gloopy stewy dumplings with everything food, but hey ho. Walks, drinks, unbelievable hot chocolate in a book shop, alcoholic cherry flavours everywhere, the original flower power people in the market, jazz, the inevitable crap designer shops, water walkways, beautiful natural looking women hideously mismatched with gross pot bellied old men. There are the usual hard nosed persuasive spivs ( or good looking smartly dressed young men who prey on women like me!) who wish to persuade idiot tourists to part with their readies. So wise up and read up before you go! Share taxis and save your money! Did I remember to tell you that the Salt Mines are phenomenal?
    But.............you may not ignore Auschwitz-Birkenau. A warning however, I strongly advise everyone to leave this visit until their last day. Allow more time for Birkenau than the guides suggest, for it is here that you need time to wander and reflect. The ever present sound of the keen wind is haunting yet , chillingly, a wilderness where no birds can be heard. The decaying structures defiantly tell the world why so many of us older anti -Fascist Guardianistas nags say 'Never Again'. Take a single, fresh beautiful flower to leave on the infamous rail tracks, it is all that any of us can do now.

Planning to take my kids here 17 & 13 here for October break. My wife has been and says it is a life changing event. Having watched Schindler's list i vowed to visit one day.

Cities to visit
    Malmo is a lovely vibrant city. My wife's home town is reportedly the most cosmopolitan city in the world with over 170 nationalities living there. It has modern and old architecture and has a Bohemian quarter where locals sit outside coffee shops / restaurants passing the day. Great large park on the edge of town centre. Great sandy beaches along the coast are very popular and this summer had no rain through July into August with average temperatures around 30'c. Not as expensive as people think. Eating out is probably comparable to London, but alcohol is dearer with a large lager being around £6 in a pub. Nothing like Stockholm, they are the northerners and speak a very different dialect (posh apparently although i can't here the difference). Expect to see a Swedish flag in the window of most houses or on a flagpole in the front garden, on occasions you'll see the Southern Sweden flag, just to remind you that Malmo is not part of the Stockholm clique. The Malmo folk are very proud to say they are from here, just think Zlatan. He attracts god like status with the locals. He's one of us, is the usual comment. If you can get to a Malmo FF game. Their new stadium may not have the character of their old retro ground, but when it's full it bounces. Expect to see flares in the stands if they score and a very enthusiastic home support. As an aside, literally all Swedes speak very good English and don't mind speaking English if you approach them.

Cheap to get to. Fly to Copenhagen on Easyjet or a cheapie. Catch a train over 'The Bridge' into Sweden. Four stops and you're in the town centre (£15 return).
  • Options
    Which European cities are good to visit at winter/January time?? I am trying to book a surprise few days away with the girlfriend while we're on uni holidays!
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Planning to take my kids here 17 & 13 here for October break. My wife has been and says it is a life changing event. Having watched Schindler's list i vowed to visit one day.

Cities to visit
    Malmo is a lovely vibrant city. My wife's home town is reportedly the most cosmopolitan city in the world with over 170 nationalities living there. It has modern and old architecture and has a Bohemian quarter where locals sit outside coffee shops / restaurants passing the day. Great large park on the edge of town centre. Great sandy beaches along the coast are very popular and this summer had no rain through July into August with average temperatures around 30'c. Not as expensive as people think. Eating out is probably comparable to London, but alcohol is dearer with a large lager being around £6 in a pub. Nothing like Stockholm, they are the northerners and speak a very different dialect (posh apparently although i can't here the difference). Expect to see a Swedish flag in the window of most houses or on a flagpole in the front garden, on occasions you'll see the Southern Sweden flag, just to remind you that Malmo is not part of the Stockholm clique. The Malmo folk are very proud to say they are from here, just think Zlatan. He attracts god like status with the locals. He's one of us, is the usual comment. If you can get to a Malmo FF game. Their new stadium may not have the character of their old retro ground, but when it's full it bounces. Expect to see flares in the stands if they score and a very enthusiastic home support. As an aside, literally all Swedes speak very good English and don't mind speaking English if you approach them.

Cheap to get to. Fly to Copenhagen on Easyjet or a cheapie. Catch a train over 'The Bridge' into Sweden. Four stops and you're in the town centre (£15 return).
    If you read Zlatan's autobiography I don't think he felt like "one of them" growing up !

Recent trips - liked;

Tallinn - an incredible amount of history (some very sad) packed into a small space

Brussels - mainly for the beer but the architecture is beautiful too

Paris - can't believe I'd never visited before but I'll definitely be back, a "proper" global city like London & NY

Didn't like;

Helsinki - relentlessly expensive and didn't seem to have much to it (the sea fort Sumonlina (sp) aside. The Finnish seemed rather reserved too.
  • Options
    Come to Luxembourg!

If you have a couple of hours I'll give you the grand tour (of the whole country)!
  • Options
    Gent at the end of july , the whole city is in lockdown and 10 days of party and boozing.
  • Options
    Have you tried Wigan ?
  • Options

This....... Agree about your comments about Birkenau.