Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eibar - minnows now playing in Spanish top flight

After 2 successive promotions, Eibar are playing Real Madrid tonight - its quite a story ...

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/09/sport/football/miracle-eibar-spain-football/index.html

Comments

• Options
    Seems that the people in football don't want this to happen by having rules about ground size, number of seats etc.

Well done to them, they have earned the right by doing it on the pitch where it matters. Hopefully they'll surprise a few and stay up but if not enjoy the moment.
  • Options
    its Real Sociedad
  • Options
    Yes, it's Real Sociedad tonight at 6 o'clock on Sky Sports 5. An entirely appropriate rigging of the fixture lists to create a Basque derby on the opening day of the season.

I saw a game at Eibar in 2006, which they lost to go bottom of the second division. A great achievement for a team from such a small town to make it to La Liga. This is the fascination of football.

Greg Dyke - take note !
  • Options
    Apologies - Real Sociedad.
    Hey Blucher - you've been about a bit (if you pardon the expression!) - football wise - must be some interesting stories you can tell?
  • Options
    Amazing achievement for tiny Eibar against all odds. Almost not let in to the top league because of size despite having no debts and being a very well-run club - a rarity in Spanish football!
  • Options
    @The President - the stories are not that interesting, I'm afraid, but a group of us do try to get to Spain around once a year to take in three or four games at all different levels. A couple of our friends are Spanish journalists based in London, so they sort out the itinerary and the games, as well as identifying good bars, restaurants and places to see. This enables incompetent tourists like me to be led by the nose for the three or four days. The trips are always based around a La Liga game but also take in some lower league (or even academy) games, which are often entertaining and offer a good window into Spanish culture.

I've never watched professional games elsewhere in mainland Europe. I would certainly like to get to Germany sometime to experience the Bundesliga first hand. Apart from the renowned atmosphere, the ticket pricing model appears to be comparable to that of A Block.
  • Options
    Eibar look a good team ! - very English type style.
  • Options
    1-0 Eibar great free kick from a difficult angle
  • Options

1-0 Eibar great free kick from a difficult angle

BP - get your wallet out for that bloke Javi Lara - good player - and what a free-kick.
  • Options
    all 22 players on the pitch are Spanish
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Javi Lara? Has he got girls hair to match his name? Could battle it out with Wilson.
  • Options

Javi Lara? Has he got girls hair to match his name? Could battle it out with Wilson.

No, haircut more like Morro than Wilson !
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Dont look much like Morro to me
  • Options
    Was a great freekick.

• Options
    edited August 2014

But still definitely more Morro than Wilson ! Just trying to give perspective !
  • Options

But still definitely more Morro than Wilson ! Just trying to give perspective !
    More like Wiggins
  • Options
    Well done Eibar - does that put them top of La Liga ?
  • Options
    Paulie, you are dangerously close with the hair discussion here. :-)
  • Options

Well done Eibar - does that put them top of La Liga ?

No Granada beat La Coruna 2-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just saw the highlights of Eibar's win. Looked very physical and direct - some of the big teams will find it hard playing against them and that style!
  • Options
    Ground capacity is 5250. Will be an outstanding achievement if they stay up.
  • Options
    0-0 away at Athletic Bilbao puts Eibar eighth after six games. If they can keep this up and avoid relagation it could be one of the biggest stories in Spanish football history.