Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope learns quickly from Derby mistake

Comments

• Options
    Got his head screwed on.. impressed with him! Hope he will stay with us for many years to come..
  • Options
    He`s a young kid who has just been thrown in the deep end!
  • Options
    Plenty of time to develop, just too early for him I think. Would really like to see another keeper come in to play with Henderson on the bench & Pope loaned out. Henderson worries me, he appears vunerable to the cross shot, watch the Wigan goal again that should never have gone in. At the time of his signing I saw a couple of you tube clips & he let in very similar goals for one of his loan clubs. Just seems very slow to react.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

I don't think he's good enough for the Champ.

Based on what ?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Henderson was brought in as first choice keeper, he has had 2 1/2 games and we are now writing him off .. If YouTube was a reliable source of player information Izale McLeod would be European Golden Boot holder.

Get him fit and then lets see him have a run of games as for Pope, he made one enormous mistake, unlike any keeper ever and had an understandable shaky start yesterday then by accounts from those that were there played well and conceded a goal that was a defensive error by players with much more experience than him.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Hope he gets some confidence, but he needs to do it fast. I do believe there is a good keeper in there.

I don't want to be a dick but the lad is 22 already, if he can't make the step up soon I'm not sure he ever will. He's not 18/19 anymore when someone reaches 23/24 you can't make excuses for them being a young player.

He needs to stop trying to play football too, couple of times in both the games his persistence to take 2 or 3 touches or come out of his goal has put us at risk, and should've cost us a goal v Hudds.

• Options
    He is a bit all over the place, predicted he would be pre-season. He has the potential for this league but his decision making is all over the place aswell as his distribution, his shot stopping has been fine but that's only a small part of goalkeeping. Think he needs time away from us, he is not the keeper ATM to match the rest of our team in our drive for success.

Not writing the boy off, he has the skills there's no doubting, but there's a lot more needed than that. Would play him in Cups and a few U21's, before lobbing him in front of big crowds.
  • Options
    Agree about taking too many touches as does TBH from his reaction and that will be knocked out of him. 22 is young for a keeper, there are a few who break through early but the majority break through later than most other positions, Pope still has time on his hands and it sounds like after the first 20 minutes he did start to gain some of that confidence and the save on the Championship show was excellent
  • Options
    He flapped a bit early on at Hudds, but some of his saves were fantastic and had the faithful singing his name on many occasions. He was not to blame for the goal and saved us from defeat, without a doubt. Of course it's a keeper's job to save shots on target, but he earned his place in the team, based on his display. Not saying he should be number one, but he's got to be worth a shout for stand-in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Wells' goal would of stood like it should of he would of been at fault for 2 goals in 2 games. Had it been Hamer he would be getting pelters on here. Looking forward to Henderson coming back to be honest. Pope may have made a few saves but in my opinion he needs more time in the oven.
  • Options
    I get the feeling that his flapping led to a deterioration in the way we played at Hudds, I may be wrong, but it seemed like it affected some of the players.
  • Options

I get the feeling that his flapping led to a deterioration in the way we played at Hudds, I may be wrong, but it seemed like it affected some of the players.

This
  • Options
    Jaddick said:

Hope he gets some confidence, but he needs to do it fast. I do believe there is a good keeper in there.

I don't want to be a dick but the lad is 22 already, if he can't make the step up soon I'm not sure he ever will. He's not 18/19 anymore when someone reaches 23/24 you can't make excuses for them being a young player.

He needs to stop trying to play football too, couple of times in both the games his persistence to take 2 or 3 touches or come out of his goal has put us at risk, and should've cost us a goal v Hudds.

Only been to the home games, but the tactic has clearly been to try and play it out from the back on the floor as much as possible. Both Henderson and Pope look less comfortable doing this, perhaps because both have probably not had to play that role as much at their previous clubs-a hoof through the ball was no doubt largely the norm at places like York, Portsmouth and West Ham. Give them time I say, especially Pope. In warm ups his distribution looks first class, so it must be nerves during a match, which he'll overcome with game time.
  • Options
    He's proven he can't handle the pressure. Sell him now to a conference north team, that's his level.
  • Options
    I agree he looks shakey with the ball at his feet. However, 22yrs old off a gk is about 18/19yrs old for other position. At 22, he could carry on playing for another 20 years professionally. You can only learn from experience and this is vital experience for Pope.

I think it would be wrong to drop the lad. He's not done badly in the 2 and a bit games he's played for us this season... I believe a lot may have expected more straight away from him but he's learning and he's also able to make and recognise his mistakes.

He will come good.
  • Options
    The problem is, these are league games, every league game is vital. I want Pope to do well at Charlton just as much as anyone but I don't think we can have a 'liability' keeper who will sh*t up the back 4 whenever it goes near him.
    I'd try loan him out to a league 1 side for the season then next season we can re-evaluate him.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Based on what ?
    Probably his opinion I would think
  • Options
    Some comments on here seem a bit harsh after 2 games in which we're unbeaten and when looking at the player marks him and Igor appeared to be our best players by a mile on Saturday.

He'll be nervous, we're not in a relegation dog fight, and the only way to tell if he can handle the pressure is to give him games. Lets give him a chance eh?
  • Options
    Pope is going to be a very very good goalie, and I hope it's with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    some very unfair comments here, after a shaky start at Hudds when he didn't concede a goal he made some excellent saves which kept us in the game, also his distribution was bad either, the goal he did concede was the fault of Wiggins and Cousins not Pope
  • Options

lol! So we capitulated cos of one dodgy moment in the first minute... Bob Peeters would get crucified on here if he came out in the press with a comment like that...

And if that was the case why didnt the team improve when Pope started making some good saves to keep us in it (Surely that was a moment for them to think "Hang on Popey is having a great game keeping us in this, we should return the favour to him by upping our performances by putting in some effort too")
  • Options
    Pope has always been a very vocal 'keeper, and a terrific organiser. Shouting orders at players like TBH and Bikey who have been round the clock must be an intimidating prospect, and it is my guess that is what has undermined his normal commanding game.
  • Options

Pope has always been a very vocal 'keeper, and a terrific organiser. Shouting orders at players like TBH and Bikey who have been round the clock must be an intimidating prospect, and it is my guess that is what has undermined his normal commanding game.

And who was the first one to put arm around to console him when the ball went through his legs v Derby? Tal Ben Haim.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

And who was the first one to put arm around to console him when the ball went through his legs v Derby? Tal Ben Haim.
    It was Andre Bikey who clapped him on the back shortly after that error when Pope caught a ball and dropped to the floor (as Goalkeepers do)
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Henderson was brought in as first choice keeper, he has had 2 1/2 games and we are now writing him off .. If YouTube was a reliable source of player information Izale McLeod would be European Golden Boot holder.

Get him fit and then lets see him have a run of games as for Pope, he made one enormous mistake, unlike any keeper ever and had an understandable shaky start yesterday then by accounts from those that were there played well and conceded a goal that was a defensive error by players with much more experience than him.

I am sorry only just seen this, but who has written Henderson off, and If they have done they need to look at themselves in the mirror, he has looked great when he has played, very commanding in the area comes out for crosses and catches.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The defence work as a close unit succeeding or failing as one and I don't think Pope is intimidated by the current two CBs at all. It is more a case of early 1st team career nerves in the Championship IMO. This is not L2 where you can lump it forward either, distribution to retain possession is much higher on the skill sets required. Dodgy start at Udders but played his part thereafter by all accounts. It's a steep learning curve and I'm sure he will be all the better a keeper for it, to our benefit. He has my vote of confidence FWIIW.
  • Options
    Rob said:

Redhenry said:

Based on what ?
    Probably his opinion I would think
    Smart arse
  • Options
    He had another good game last night, seems to be settling down very well, and improving all the time. I don't know when Henderson will be back, but by that time Pope may well have made the position his own.
  • Options

I am sorry only just seen this, but who has written Henderson off, and If they have done they need to look at themselves in the mirror, he has looked great when he has played, very commanding in the area comes out for crosses and catches.

The physio wrote him off work for a week, he was only doing his job mate calm down!