Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

is there a lack of 5p coins in circulation ?

every morning, from the jar i always chuck my change into the night before, i dig out the correct change for a copy of the times (65p for those who dont know)...i try and keep it down to the smallest number of coins possible, going for 50p, 10p and 5p but, just lately, i struggle to find any 5ps and have to settle for coppers instead to make it up...now this might not mean much to those of you that dont wear a suit, or dont care that much so buy one off the peg, but in the great scheme of things carrying change is a pain...where have all the 5ps gone ?...is somebody melting them all down or something ?

Comments

• Options
    They are all in WSS's draw at work
  • Options
    They're all down the back of my sofa
  • Options
    Well obviously you are not the only person chucking your change in a jar every night. I have hundreds of 5p's - plus other small change - at home which I should take to the bank but cannot be bothered. I suspect there are lots of other jars full of small change all around the country. It would be easier if the banks were better about taking it but mine are a pain and insist on a maximum of 5 bags of coins only per visit - something to do with health and safety of course!! Maybe you should organise a swap meet - I'll swap you a bag of 5p's for a bag of 10p's!!!
  • Options
    I used to run a retail business. The coins you always got stuck with were 5p's. We used to regularly keep topping up al the other ones. I found that staff very rarely wanted to give them out because they were fiddly. Every so often I would run down stocks of 10p's to force them to give them out. Mind you, most of our prices were ended with a nine, so we always needed boat loads of 1p's. I suspect it's just one of those things. In a few weeks time you will be awash with them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]They are all in WSS's draw at work

first chuckle of the day, that.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: les_says[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]They are all in WSS's draw at work[/quote]

first chuckle of the day, that.[/quote] they must be dimes rather than 5ps if he's found $250...
  • Options
    I have 7 x 5p in my pocket - I'll sell them to you for a couple of quid ;o)