Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Updated Squad List - Aug 30

edited August 2014 in General Charlton
Getting very close to the window expiring now so time for a refresh.

Any errors or omissions please advise.

NAME / CONTRACT EXPIRY DATE

Players with contracts that run to 2015 or beyond (21)

Goalkeepers

Nick Pope 2018
Dillon Phillips 2016
Stephen Henderson 2017 - Signed on free transfer after having been released by West Ham

Right Backs

Chris Solly 2017
Loïc Négo 2017 - Loaned to Ujpest Dozsa for one season
Joe Gomez 2016 - Signed professional contract

Centre Backs

Michael Morrison 2016
Harry Lennon 2016 - On loan to Cambridge Utd for one season
André Bikey-Amougou 2016 - Signed on free transfer
Tal Ben Haim - 2015 - Signed on a free transfer from Standard Liege

Left Backs

Rhoys Wiggins 2018
Morgan Fox 2017

Right Midfielders

Lawrie Wilson 2015

Central Midfielders

Johnnie Jackson 2016
Jordan Cousins 2016
Yoni Buyens 2015 - Signed on one year loan from Standard Liege
Franck Moussa 2016 - Signed on a free transfer after contract expired at Coventry City

Left Midfielders

Callum Harriott 2016
Johann Berg Gudmundsson - 2016 - Signed on a free transfer after contract expired at AZ Alkmaar
Frédéric Bulot - 2015 - Season long loan from Standard Liege

Strikers

Reza Ghoochannejhad 2016 - Loaned to Al-Kuwait for one season
Simon Church 2015
Piotr Parzyszek 2018 - loaned to STTV for one season
Joe Pigott 2016
Igor Vetokele 2019 - Signed for undisclosed fee from FC Copenhagen
George Tucudean 2017 - Signed for undisclosed fee from Standard Liege

U21 Development Squad (12 + 1)

Zak Ansah
Rhys Browne
Kurtis Cumberbatch
Kadell Daniel
Harry Gerard
Tareiq Holmes-Dennis
Oliver Muldoon
Jack Munns
Harry Osborne
Levander Pyke
Tobi Sho-Silva
Terell Thomas
Dimitar Mitov (Academy)

Comments

• Lennon is only on loan until January according to the articles on each clubs OS. For some reason the squad list on the OS says it's a season long loan.

You could add Karlan Ahearne-Grant as another academy player in the development squad like Mitov. Has started some games for them while Cumberbatch and others have only made the bench.
  • Big difference this year is that only 3 players (Wilson, Church and TBH) are in the last year of their contracts.
  • Scoham said:

Lennon is only on loan until January according to the articles on each clubs OS. For some reason the squad list on the OS says it's a season long loan.

You could add Karlan Ahearne-Grant as another academy player in the development squad like Mitov. Has started some games for them while Cumberbatch and others have only made the bench.

I wasn't sure about Lennon as, as you say, the info is contradictory.

I only included Mitov as he was on the bench so must have a squad number now. Not sure the other Academy kids have that yet.

Big difference this year is that only 3 players (Wilson, Church and TBH) are in the last year of their contracts.

A much healthier situation to the beginning of last season as you want as many of your assets as possible signed up beyond the current season.

TBH is relatively old at 32 and Church may not be considered an asset by some ie we wouldn't get a fee and he isn't key to the first team. Wilson I would have thought has a better shout to be considered an asset but so far he's been on the bench.

Still, another reason why Roland is a lot better than Jimenez and Slater and an another example of the mess RD had to clear up after the terrible twins.
  • What do you mean Church not an asset, not worth a fee, current international, in current squad, but I know what you mean
  • Take off the loans-out and that leaves a first team squad of only 21. That seems a bit light. Probably should be somwhere between 23 - 26?
  • Now updated with our latest signing.
  • Can anyone clarify the situation re Harry Lennon? He played for the U21s against both Nottingham Forest and Millwall.

Does this mean his loan to Cambridge United has ended prematurely or is it possible that League rules allow him to play in our development team while being registered to play for Cambridge in the League?

As far as I can tell, Lennon has not yet made it off the bench for Cambridge which might have led to a mutually agreed recall or, alternatively, would explain why Cambridge would be happy for him to get some game time with us.

Thanks
  • Lennon's on the bench for them today, so I assume it's a youth loan as that allows him to also play for our u21s.
  • Think it would be fairer to list our wingers as left and right footed. As we've seen with JBG, he's left footed but plays primarily on the right.
  • Scoham said:

Lennon's on the bench for them today, so I assume it's a youth loan as that allows him to also play for our u21s.

Many thanks. That makes sense. Bit disappointing that Cambridge don't feel he's good enough to start. Hopefully, he'll get some first team action there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

Lennon is only on loan until January according to the articles on each clubs OS. For some reason the squad list on the OS says it's a season long loan.

I wasn't sure about Lennon as, as you say, the info is contradictory.

I only included Mitov as he was on the bench so must have a squad number now. Not sure the other Academy kids have that yet.

Big difference this year is that only 3 players (Wilson, Church and TBH) are in the last year of their contracts.

A much healthier situation to the beginning of last season as you want as many of your assets as possible signed up beyond the current season.

TBH is relatively old at 32 and Church may not be considered an asset by some ie we wouldn't get a fee and he isn't key to the first team. Wilson I would have thought has a better shout to be considered an asset but so far he's been on the bench.

Still, another reason why Roland is a lot better than Jimenez and Slater and an another example of the mess RD had to clear up after the terrible twins.
    So last summer we wanted as many of the 37 professionals signed up on long term deals as possible? This is a bit confusing as I recall that it was a bottom six squad so why would we want to keep any more than a third of them on board?
    No @Henry Irving‌, we wanted and ended up with all of the U23 talent signed on long term deals. Duchatelet was then able to offer contact extensions to 6 senior players (3 accepted, 3 didn't) and release 20+ players in May/June. This freed up budget to replace them with 10 much better and younger players.
    One can call it a mess but may I suggest that it was a deliberate* strategy which was a major selling point for the club in 2013 which helped close the deal. "The club is in the Championship, the squad isn't very good but guess what, the lucky new owner gets to let most of them go and start again.
    *deliberate as it was specifically mentioned in the sales brochure in summer 2013 together with the academy which now supplies c.1/3 of the 18 players that Peeters puts out every week.
    Why on earth would we want all of last year's squad on long term deals? Two of the 20 departed players are on the bench in the Premier league - the rest simply wouldn't get into Peeters matchday squad as they weren't good enough to take us to the top six.
    Source: the league table for 2013-14 and the season to date - today
    As a result we are now top 6 and I've had the pleasure of watching CAFC four times now playing the best football in years!
  • I agree with nearly everything you say MF.

I think we are better off now. But IMHO that is despite TJ and MS not because of them. They got greedy and were asking well over the realistic value of the club. The time to sell was the summer after we finished 9th but the silly £35m price put off any buyers (and there were some interested) off so we then went into a downward spiral. Unwilling to spend as we wanted to sell and had no extra money to put in anyway so the value of the assets (the players) and the asset (the club) declined.

It worked out well because Roland picked up the Club at the distressed price of £10 + £3m if we stayed up. Brilliant deal for Roland and a sign of how desperate TJ and MS where to get out that they would gamble £3m on us staying up. RD comes out of that deal very well IMO, clever man.

What is telling is that Roland's strategy IS to tie most signings down with longer terms deals.

To continue the car trip analogy if you take the wrong route and finally only find your destination after getting a tow from a local garage you can call that a "strategy" or "taking the scenic route" but your passengers know you just got lost and they're late.
  • edited August 2014
    Thanks Henry and likewise, I agree with what you've said. I might be a tad less critical of Jiminez and Slater than you appear to be, though I do recognise that I'm not aware of the shenanigans that went on inside the Club during their reign.

As we know, when Richard Murray consolidated ownership of the Club in 2010 he named the holding company Baton 2010 because his explicit intention was to fund the Club's losses for a limited period during which he sought a buyer to "pass" the Club on to.

I doubt he had the foresight at that time to anticipate that the process would repeat within three years so that his choice of name became even more apposite. But in that context, I'd suggest that Jimenez and Slater ran a decent leg overall, during which we made good progress overall, but that the handover to the next runner, who appears to be a very good "choice", was very messy and could even have led to very serious problems; the baton being dropped and the Club relegated. We may even have been lucky to avoid that fate.

The question is whether we'd be in better shape today, or further around the track, had that handover been better managed. I guess we'll never know, but had you told me that night in January 2011 when we lost 4-2 at home to Swindon that we'd now be established in the Championship with an exciting new team and, it would appear, an imaginative owner with ambition, I'd have bitten your hand off. If under Duchatelet's ownership we continue the progress we've seen since January, history may judge the previous regime a little less harshly than is the case today. If you win a relay race all runners get a medal, including those that ran a slower lap.

• Roland has been good for the club IMHO. I can and will criticise some actions and policies but overall he has been good, has deep pockets and appears to be here mid to long term. I welcomed him for those reasons when he came and because he wasn't Jimenez or Slater and still do.

To use your analogy we were steaming along in the first couple of legs of the relay until the coach (Kevin Cash) left and then we floundered, dropped the baton and were about to be disqualified until a Belgian runner picked it up and got us back in the race.

How much further along we might have been if Roland had come in the summer when we had finished 9th we'll never know but I think we have been a lot further along with his plan than we currently are.

Having come up as champions and finished 9th, albeit in a very tight division, we were set to kick on with some sound long term investment. That didn't come until this summer so effectively that whole season was lost.

One season in a 109 year history isn't that long though. We carry on.

One other point is that SR mention last year us having 37 professionals.

If you count the names above we now have 36 players on the books and one more to sign today (so I hear).

But not all players are equal. This isn't draughts were all the players have the same abilities. This is chess where you might be willing to lose a pawn or even a bishop but you fight hard to protect your King and Queen : - )
  • Thanks Henry and likewise, I agree with what you've said. I might be a tad less critical of Jiminez and Slater than you appear to be, though I do recognise that I'm not aware of the shenanigans that went on inside the Club during their reign.

As we know, when Richard Murray consolidated ownership of the Club in 2010 he named the holding company Baton 2010 because his explicit intention was to fund the Club's losses for a limited period during which he sought a buyer to "pass" the Club on to.

I doubt he had the foresight at that time to anticipate that the process would repeat within three years so that his choice of name became even more apposite. But in that context, I'd suggest that Jimenez and Slater ran a decent leg overall, during which we made good progress overall, but that the handover to the next runner, who appears to be a very good "choice", was very messy and could even have led to very serious problems; the baton being dropped and the Club relegated. We may even have been lucky to avoid that fate.

The question is whether we'd be in better shape today, or further around the track, had that handover been better managed. I guess we'll never know, but had you told me that night in January 2011 when we lost 4-2 at home to Swindon that we'd now be established in the Championship with an exciting new team and, it would appear, an imaginative owner with ambition, I'd have bitten your hand off. If under Duchatelet's ownership we continue the progress we've seen since January, history may judge the previous regime a little less harshly than is the case today. If you win a relay race all runners get a medal, including those that ran a slower lap.

In the big picture of Charlton's 110 year history this sums things up. How many other owners have picked up CAFC, achieved promotion and then sold the club on having retained that status in the higher division together with appointing and retaining the longest serving manager in that league? Imagine if Duchatelet repeats that feat? For then we are in a very different place from 2011

Bottom line @Henry Irving‌ all of the posturing and rhetoric above (perhaps myself included!) is around three players. I'm glad we agree that it's all about Hamer, Poyet and Dervite, who declined contract offers over the summer. So six players out of 37 offered renewed deals but 3 decline - that's 10% not getting a desired outcome. One can bang on about this and that but in my book that gives a 90% success rate in controlling the destiny of last summers squad. I don't know about you but 90% is an A*, not a fecking car crash. What cannot be denied is that Prothero was asked by the executive to get the u23 signed up on long term deals...Cousins, Harriott, Solly, Fox, Gomez, Piggott all assets, all appearing this season

Dale Stephens was an asset, we sold him - he didn't appear at the Amex either - not a Brighton first team player. And with us about to welcome Bulot (worth £2.2m on transfermarkt so can't be bad!) I can't see Stephens featuring much if he had stayed. And as for Kermorgant, well that shirt is still vacant and we play on with Tucudean and Church in the hope that a better player is recruited.

To speculate that if Duchatelet had come in earlier, last season would have been different is to ignore that the die was cast much, much earlier. It is my belief that last season would always have been a holding job since the majority of the squad being the one which secured promotion from League 1. They came in, they did a job with 101 points and they stayed up. I've seen every home game and a number of away games in that time and watched too much Championship football on Sky - we were a long way from a play-off contender. From a chess perspective the best option was to play for time, agree a draw and set the whole game up but this time with new pieces. Cheaper, better, Belgian pieces to supplement the ten or so worth keeping from the old set.

We took a very interesting route but we are no later than we would have been for there is no difference between finishing 7th and 21st. Anyone suggesting we might have finished higher than 7th last season is clearly out of touch with reality! I think we perhaps take a different view of the players who left. On blind loyalty grounds I don't rate them because they chose to go elsewhere. On technical talent and ability only Poyet and Kermorgant might make a difference to the season so far... there's an awful lot of noise about this but we have been fortunate to see the departure of a large number of players without any cost to the club.

So today we have a first 18 who can compete throughout this season made up mostly of academy graduates and new signings. They are good and there are goals there in Vetokele. There is also wealth and FFP headroom available to enable the Peeters to push on in the loan window and in January. The longer we can stay in the top six the more people will wake up to the new look CAFC...the bookies are shifting their odds after every game in favour of promotion and away from relegation. Let's see how we do against Watford and Wolves with this brand new set up. They've only lost once this season but then again they haven't visited the Valley yet!
  • But not all players are equal. This isn't draughts were all the players have the same abilities. This is chess where you might be willing to lose a pawn or even a bishop but you fight hard to protect your King and Queen : - )
  • Average age of the squad as of yesterday was 23 years, 182 days. At the time RD took over is was 25 years, 159 days. Forget the Charlton height test, it's the Charlton age test now.

http://staddickstics.wordpress.com/2014/09/22/new-age-movement/
  • Stig said:

Average age of the squad as of yesterday was 23 years, 182 days. At the time RD took over is was 25 years, 159 days. Forget the Charlton height test, it's the Charlton age test now.

http://staddickstics.wordpress.com/2014/09/22/new-age-movement/

Indeed!
    The squad is getting younger and better at the same time. The open question is what will it take to make us top six contenders? Just for the squad to gel and gain age and experience or?
    2015-16 may well be the best season for years if the club continues to secure decent players who are mainly u23.
    @Stig‌ your graph on another thread showing points against games was a great illustration of how far we have come in just nine months. It will be interesting to see what it looks like at the end of each month.
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember what Alan Hanson said about Man Utd, you never win anything with kids. :)-