Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

blackburn is our cup final

certainly starting to look like it...a big day out, travelling support in numbers, a thousand stories to be told afterwards...will one of them be yours or will you be 'johnny-no-mates' and miss out because you didn't go ?

Comments

• Options
    please promise me you are not going to be doing this intensive badgering every day !!!

if people don't want to go, they won't go. Their loss.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]please promise me you are not going to be doing this intensive badgering every day !!!

if people don't want to go, they won't go. Their loss.

It's also our loss and the teams loss.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]please promise me you are not going to be doing this intensive badgering every day !!!

if people don't want to go, they won't go. Their loss.[/quote]

afka, the more fans we take, the greater the influence its going to have...if we can achieve critical mass of around 3500 then we will make a difference on the day...and if we can achieve that critical mass before saturday i reckon it'll also have a positive effect upon the players for the sheff united game as well...there's going to be a lot of fans that need some reassurance before they sign up...those that dont go will lose out and it will be their loss but i'd rather they did go and i'm trying to lay a positive groundwork for waivering fans to latch on to...
  • Options
    What difference will it make to the players against Sheffield united whether we sell 2500 for blackburn or 4500 before saturday?
  • Options
    really ? last thing i would want is people there who feel forced into going. Christ, only two away games left that will shape our season, if that's a big enough incentive then nothing is.

Of course there will be those with valid excuses, but stuff like i can't handle the coach or i'll jinx us aren't excuses. I'd rather people just say 'i don't want to go' or 'i can't be arsed', because that's their real reason.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]What difference will it make to the players against Sheffield united whether we sell 2500 for blackburn or 4500 before saturday?

Knowing the fans really are behind them? Rather than just behind them as long as it doesnt involve doing anything.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]What difference will it make to the players against Sheffield united whether we sell 2500 for blackburn or 4500 before saturday?[/quote]

2500, although good for us for an away game, is nothing special...3500 is greater than the normal 3k general limit, 4500 is 'up for it' fa cup territory...its human nature that the players will have some extra nerves and doubts after last weekend's results, a positive message from the charlton fans that we still believe they will do it and are behind them 100% will have a massive psychological benefit...and at this stage of the season that can be the difference between staying up and going down...
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    To be honest i think that's rubbish. The players will perform against Sheff Utd if we, as fans, get behind them from 2.55 onwards on saturday, not by how many pre-sales we've made for a game a week later.
  • Options
    it seems to me that alan pardew has turned the club around bby chucking out the negative and putting in the positive, even to the extent of shoving posters up everywhere by all accounts...now here we are trying to latch on to this promotion of the positive to get everybody, players and fans alike, in an upbeat frame and there you are trying to poo poo it all...
  • Options
    I'm not trying to poo poo it all, but i really don't see how a couple of thousand or so more pre-sales will affect their performance. I genuinely feel the players will react to an electrifying atmosphere and us getting behind them from the off on saturday. I can't see Carson pulling off any more saves, Diawara defending any better, Thatcher flying into tackles more, Song passing better, Bent running his socks off and shotting on target more, just because we've sold a few more tickets for a game a week later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a good atmosphere and a good performance isn't just about turning up on the day and somebody turning on a switch...its all about preparation...if we dont sell any more than the 2500 we've already achieved then come saturday everybody would be on a downer...if we sell at least 3500 then there will be a buzz of anticipation throughout the club and the fans...the players will pick up on the positive mood as much as they will a negative mood...i for one would rather they went into saturday's game in an upbeat mood...
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited April 2007
    i think you are right LTGTR, i agree that if we had sold say 4500 tickets prior to the sheff u game, pards will know this, he will tell the players, and i know as fact the players appreciate our efforts since pards' showed up, so i think if there are 4500 gone, it will spur the players on to win and win well ala westham and then sell the 7500 tickets for blackburn!
  • Options
    ltgtr is right about creating that "buzz of anticipation throughout the club and fans". The energy that creates can be electric and the positive mood can be our 12th man.

Contrast that with stonewall silence and a jittery crowd getting on the team's back everytime a move breaks down.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Contrast that with stonewall silence and a jittery crowd getting on the team's back everytime a move breaks down.

I think this is true. Unfortunately some will always greet adversity with silence and jitters.

To be fair every fan has their own way of dealing with this situation. I disagree with AFKA on this. I think there are some who are genuinely thinking of not going to Blackburn for reasons like "they always lose when I'm there".

Superstition and omen are all part of the profile of a fan. I can't stand watching us live on TV. I'd rather be there or watch the re-runs if we win. I carry a scarf which I keep hidden because we tend to be more successful if I do. During the Seventies I went with a few mates and one of them used to always miss goals cos he was went for a slash. It got to the point where if we needed a goal we used to send him off to the bog.

I think many more will sign up whatever the result is against Sheffield Utd because many will be thinking that booking the tickets now will only tempt fate. It's irrational but that is how some feel.

Lets not be too harsh. Getting through this stress is hard for all of us.
  • Options
    All this fan power spiel doesnt mean it will work in our favour; it didnt work at Boro or even at Man Utd with 10,000 addicks at Old Trafford. At the end of the day, if we dont beat Sheffield United at the Valley then we dont deserve to be in the Prem.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    were you not at the wigan game say when some 10 mins to go everybody stepped up the noise and the players responded accordingly ?...fan power does have an effect...and the 10k at ot did make a difference in the second half, sadly on reflection too much when we helped convinc the ref to send their keeper off and turned the game in their favour...
  • Options
    OK ltgtr, you have convinced me to make the trip to Ewood Park but only if we beat Sheffield. I just hope it will the same joyous occasion as my last visit there when we clinched the Championship.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    dont wait until after we beat sheff utd...pick up the phone and book it now...make the difference...
  • Options
    Well I'm not going and the insinuations in this thread that people who don't go can't be bothered to get off their arses or aren't real fans are quite insulting.

I drove up to Man City unlike most of those who are going to Ewood, so I have "got off my arse". I can't afford two long trips to the NW (and don't say the coach is free, those of us over 6ft would rather be stabbed than stuffed into a seat for 8 hours. Add that it's 2 days BEFORE payday and 2 days before I fly to the US and I think I can be excused this one.

As many have said, I don't think it will make one piece of difference whether we sell 3k or 5k before this weekend. The players, rightfully, will be fully focussed on this game and nothing else, I doubt they will have sales figures read to them when they should be studying how to beat sheffield united
  • Options
    nice to meet you on sunday andy dude.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Andy, you are not excused, sorry, there are just no excuses...!

By the way, I'm not going either...good to see you again sunday...and Rotho, Charlie and Woody...
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [quote][cite]Posted By: randy_andy[/cite]Well I'm not going and the insinuations in this thread that people who don't go can't be bothered to get off their arses or aren't real fans are quite insulting.

I drove up to Man City unlike most of those who are going to Ewood, so I have "got off my arse". I can't afford two long trips to the NW (and don't say the coach is free, those of us over 6ft would rather be stabbed than stuffed into a seat for 8 hours. Add that it's 2 days BEFORE payday and 2 days before I fly to the US and I think I can be excused this one.

As many have said, I don't think it will make one piece of difference whether we sell 3k or 5k before this weekend. The players, rightfully, will be fully focussed on this game and nothing else, I doubt they will have sales figures read to them when they should be studying how to beat sheffield united[/quote]

i dont think anybody has said anything critical about those who are not going or cant go, for whatever reason...all the posts have been about getting fans to go...we need the numbers up there and it looks like there's going to be a good turn out...as afka said, for those that dont go its their loss...dont take it personally, at least when you read all about it for the thousanth time when you come back you wont have any regrets because you'll know there was a good reason for not being part of it...what we're looking to do is tap into those fans that want some reassurance that they wont be the only ones going and there's going to be a buzz about the day before they commit...and we also want to tap into those fans that are waiting until after the sheff utd game and trying to get them to book their tickets before it...if we can get that critical mass before the sheff utd game i reckon it'll have other benefits all round for the club and fans...
  • Options
    I'm not going either....(unless my 4 week old daughter fancies the trip)....as I'm looking after her, but I might be able to blag someone to have her for a couple of hours while I pop up the pub to watch it on TV.
  • Options
    Nice to meet everybody, good to see you again Sarge, been a while!

Sorry if I came out overly defensive, just seems that a lot of this thread is basically saying "you have to go", and "if you can't go, you better be able to justify it". It really shouldn't be like that. I don't go to any where as near as many away days as I used to (in the mid 90s went to around 11 a year, now its just 2 or 3), but that's what happens. The majority of travelling fans from other clubs are in the late teens 20. At that age I didn't work the hours I work now, didn't have a mortgage, didn't have a wife, i.e. had more time and money and less reason to stay home. Its the way it goes. I envy those who have the time and money to go away all the time. If had a charlton supporting wife and a couple of hundred quid extra income a month I'd probably go to most away games. As it is, like many I suspect, I pick and choose. This month I chose Man City, many will choose Blackburn instead. At the time Man City looked more important, they looked catchable when I booked the tickets and were under pressure. Obviously beating boro and newcastle in between changed the game to one where both team were happy for a draw rather than the game I anticipated where both teams would have been thinking a win makes them a lot safer whilst putting the other team in trouble.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Spot on !
  • Options
    i think i'm going to go. just need to check with me dad. that's 2 more. how many lifers are going then? anyone counted up?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: The Prince-e-Paul[/cite]i think i'm going to go. just need to check with me dad. that's 2 more. how many lifers are going then? anyone counted up?[/quote]

just 6 of us...and there seems to be a little mob trying to organise a mini-bus but reading their posts the words brewery and piss-up spring to mind as to their final destination rather than blackburn...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: The Prince-e-Paul[/cite]i think i'm going to go. just need to check with me dad. that's 2 more. how many lifers are going then? anyone counted up?[/quote]

just 6 of us...and there seems to be a little mob trying to organise a mini-bus but reading their posts the words brewery and piss-up spring to mind as to their final destination rather than blackburn...[/quote]

LOL, my thoughts exactly !

Will be interested to know how many lifers do go. I reckon around 100 regulars off here will be travelling.
  • Options
    as mentioned, im in Diss with 13 women... i'd love to go tho. :-(
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]as mentioned, im in Diss with 13 women... i'd love to go tho. :-([/quote]

sort out a minibus to go to the game...tell them you know a place that'll be packed to the rafters with men and you either know most of them or know a friend , of a friend etc...law of averages says that among 14 women, 10 will be sinbads...