Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have We Got A Better Team Than The Team That Finished 9th?

Comments

• Options
    Ability wise, 100% yes.

When we finished 9th...

We won a lot of games through hard work when the chips were down. We knew we wernt that good and played a particular game to our strengths. We won ugly.

That kind of input could still be adjusted to our current team to make us even better.

That
  • Options
    Absolutely,totally definitely.
    We overperformed when finishing 9th that season by probably 11 places !
  • Options
    We've certainly started better this season than that team did. 5 matches in and the 2012-13 team were 18th having won one, drawn two and lost two; fourteen of the teams above us already had a game in hand. It wasn't until the 29th September that we amassed the 9 points that we have today. As late as November, Charlton were as low as 19th and it wasn't until we got a draw away to Peterborough on the 5th of March that we started our first decent run of results.

I think it's fair to say that the current team is better than the one of two seasons ago, though I'd happily settle for the run-in results that we had back then.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2012-2013/table/2012-09-14
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The CBs are both definitely upgrades. 'We concede more goals' nonsense is because we play a different style of football. You won't find a game where either Tal and Bikey have played badly. I thought they were two of the best 3 or 4 on the pitch against Derby and we conceded two.

And the pace thing is a complete myth. TBH reads the game better than anyone on the pitch and I'd argue nearly all CBs in the league, you don't need lightning place as a CB when you have such a high football IQ. Also, there was a part of the Brighton game where TBH, granted had about a yard or so headstart, beat a very quick CMS to the ball. I highly doubt Morro would be much quicker.

The team is much much better. Not sure if we'll finish higher than 9th. We were ridiculously lucky and that finish flattered us massively. We were a win or two away from 17th/18th, really close league that year.
  • Options
    When Igor went down, apparently injured, yesterday, I had a horrible sinking feeling of what it would be like to rely on George and Church for a couple of months. Need another option there.
  • Options
    We punched well above our weight under Powell in the first Championship season, last season was pretty much where we should have been
  • Options
    Imagine our side with mambo, stavrinou, tamer tuna and mikkel alonso, at times i wonder what powell was thinking??
  • Options

Imagine our side with mambo, stavrinou, tamer tuna and mikkel alonso, at times i wonder what powell was thinking??

Did any of those play a game under Powell?!
  • Options
    WSS said:

Only Alonso
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:

WSS said:

Only Alonso
    He was a class act
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

WSS said:

Only Alonso
    And that wasn't in the league (thankfully). I think it's fair to say that our worst players that season were Frimpong, Seaborne, Jonsson and Gower.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The 9th position was very misleading.
    We played Bolton at The Valley the start of April, we got off to a flyer and were 2-0 down after about 15 minutes. We came back to win and then went the last eight games unbeaten.
    At that time if I'm not mistaken we were fourth/fifth from bottom.
    So to answer the original question I believe we do have a better team..........just.
  • Options
    How can 9th place be misleading? After 46 games we amassed enough points and scored and conceded goals that meant we finished 9th.

Where's the ambiguity?
  • Options
    WSS said:

How can 9th place be misleading? After 46 games we amassed enough points and scored and conceded goals that meant we finished 9th.

Where's the ambiguity?

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" :-)
  • Options
    WSS said:

Where's the ambiguity?

Bottom five in April was telling a story so perhaps I am not too far wrong.
  • Options
    Over 46 games we were the 9th best team in the division. There is simply no argument to that.
  • Options

WSS said:

Where's the ambiguity?

maybe it was being 19th that was misleading?
  • Options
    This team must surely have cost a lot more than the ninth placed mob , who really outperformed their ability .

This team is much better and will do well to finish 9th which just goes to show how lucky SCP really was
  • Options

WSS said:

Where's the ambiguity?

Luckily though we never were bottom five in April. Our lowest position in April was 14th (bottom 11). The last time we were bottom 5, was just before the famous 5-4 win against Cardiff in November. You're not thinking of last season are you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

We've certainly started better this season than that team did. 5 matches in and the 2012-13 team were 18th having won one, drawn two and lost two; fourteen of the teams above us already had a game in hand. It wasn't until the 29th September that we amassed the 9 points that we have today. As late as November, Charlton were as low as 19th and it wasn't until we got a draw away to Peterborough on the 5th of March that we started our first decent run of results.

I think it's fair to say that the current team is better than the one of two seasons ago, though I'd happily settle for the run-in results that we had back then.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2012-2013/table/2012-09-14

Got to correct myself on this one, we did have a good run in November when we picked up 13 points from 5 games.
  • Options
    Better Squad now.
    Hamer marks would go between 9 to 5. a worldy to a clanger. but was in credit when he left. Henderson ok but the jury's still out. Pope still a good prospect despite cockup.
    2012 at moment

The defence is similar but centre backs shade it for 2014 at present.
    The midfield always seemed to struggle at home. stephens best form was the 3 month before he left.
    Pritchard's workrate was good then but not in buyens class. Green was erratic, JJ chipped in with goals,Hollands did not get many games, Gudmundsson can spread the play and will score goals soon. JJ still battling away.
    cousins not quite on it but one cracking goal and needs to win place in centre mid.

2014 midfield better and will improve.

Forwards: the big problem in 2012 season was Haynes, Fuller and Yann had injuries which stopped any impetus.
    Igor's 5 goals in 5 means the attack is better now but needs George to find a game to go with his bits of magic. Pigott to show his u21 form in 1ST team. Church to prove 90% of us wrong by more assists like yesterday + a goal or ten. But if nature forbid ( no God i'm an atheist) ever gets injured we would be weaker if we do not bring in a striker in this window.

2014 better but mainly because of Igor the little gem ( he's the same height as Solly: no not 5ft 3in !)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    We spent most of the season near the bottom, finally clocked up some points at the end of the season, in a compressed league to somehow finish 9th.

Most of the performances at home were terrible.

I hope this season is nothing like that.
  • Options
    Wow cheers Stig.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Over 46 games we were the 9th best team in the division. There is simply no argument to that.

Can't argue with that but I think the best analogy is with a horse who is always at the back of a race but in the finishing straight he runs on past beaten horses who have exhausted their energy fighting with each other up at the front of the race so the end result is what it is but it did flatter that team IMO.

• Options
    So far this current team is a lot better than the rabble who got lucky and finished 9 th under Powell. The football served up that season was utter toilet. Just my view.
    So far this season I'm enjoying the football that is being played on our carpet of a pitch. The pitch before this season was a joke and it's no surprise that we went more route 1 back then. Better players. Better pitch. Better tactics. Better food. Better chairman.
  • Options
    My thoughts for that season were that we were scrapping away all season trying to pick up 'something' from games and we carried that mentality into the latter part of the season - and we nicked a few more points than we would normally have against teams who had taken their foot off the pedal - but generally felt we were more 19th than 9th in terms of the quality of the team and the others around us.
  • Options
    easily a much better team that finished 9th although I think we were a bit lucky to have ended that high up,but with the team we have this year I think the sky's the limit
  • Options
    Just looked at our last 8 results or so from that season, blimey we got some cracking results and just 3 off the play offs. So sad how it all went down hill last season.