Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

United Nations of Charlton

There was a lot of hullaballoo not that many years ago when Arsenal had a team that fielded zero English players.

Now that Bulot has been signed, we are getting close to that ourselves.

If, has been mooted on this site, that Bulot is to replace either Jacko or Cousins then it is more than likely our first choice team will contain no less than 10 different nationalities.....

Henderson (Ireland)
Solly (England)
Bikey (Cameroon)
TBH (Israel)
Wiggins (Wales)
JBG (Iceland)
Bulot (Gabon)
Buyens (Belgium)
Jacko/Cousins (England)
Veto (Angola)
Tucudean (Rumania)

Could this influx of foreign players be a threat to our much vaunted youth academy? and what do you think about the United Nations look to the side?

Comments

• There was a lot of hullaballoo not that many years ago when Arsenal had a team that fielded zero English players.

Now that Bulot has been signed, we are getting close to that ourselves.

If, has been mooted on this site, that Bulot is to replace either Jacko or Cousins then it is more than likely our first choice team will contain no less than 10 different nationalities.....

Henderson (Ireland)
    Solly (England)
    Bikey (Cameroon)
    TBH (Israel)
    Wiggins (Wales)
    JBG (Iceland)
    Bulot (Gabon)
    Buyens (Belgium)
    Jacko/Cousins (England)
    Veto (Angola)
    Tucudean (Rumania)

Could this influx of foreign players be a threat to our much vaunted youth academy? and what do you think about the United Nations look to the side?

Doesn't matter to me where they come from. Charlton were one of the first Clubs to look overseas for talent (South Africa) and lead to the rules being changed when we brought in Jeppson. Are they good enough and committed enough is what I ask.

Any influx of players could be a threat to the academy regardless of it they are foreign or not. EG Wiggins a player we bought keeping an academy player (Fox) out of the team. Same with Bikey and Gomez, Jackon and Cousins and Tucudean and Pigott.

Is that good for the England team etc? No, but what we are seeing is a symptom of the problems English football has not the disease. That goes much deeper.
  • Don't really think it would effect our academy too much. The only reason I was annoyed when Arsenal did it and am annoyed that City have no outfield English players in most of their starting XI's was because it's generally the big clubs that supply the players to our national side. When it comes to us however I really couldn't care less about having no English players as long as they get us up to the prem!

As for the UN look of the team I like it! It's nice having Icelandic, Israeli and Angolan players as I don't remember having any since I've been alive.
  • maybe part of the reason to bring in a few one year loans from SL is that it does not impede the overall progress of our younger players.
  • Don't really think it would effect our academy too much. The only reason I was annoyed when Arsenal did it and am annoyed that City have no outfield English players in most of their starting XI's was because it's generally the big clubs that supply the players to our national side. When it comes to us however I really couldn't care less about having no English players as long as they get us up to the prem!

As for the UN look of the team I like it! It's nice having Icelandic, Israeli and Angolan players as I don't remember having any since I've been alive.

Hreidarson was from Iceland
  • We don't provide any players for the England team anyway so I wouldn't worry

West Ham do though...

Give it time and Gomez, Cousins and Ahearne-Grant will be there

Give it time and Gomez, Cousins and Ahearne-Grant will be there
    But by then will they be here!!
  • adrian said:

Don't really think it would effect our academy too much. The only reason I was annoyed when Arsenal did it and am annoyed that City have no outfield English players in most of their starting XI's was because it's generally the big clubs that supply the players to our national side. When it comes to us however I really couldn't care less about having no English players as long as they get us up to the prem!

Hreidarson was from Iceland
    I'm only 5....