Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Article: Typical Charlton Deadline Deadlock?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I think it is just the fact that we have had such a good and surprising start to the season as well as the crazy hype around the transfer market that leaves me a little disappointed that we didn't add any players in the last few days, apart from Bulot although he did come through the network. It would have been nice to add another one or two fresh faces to bulk up the squad and show the fans that the club are serious about contending this year. Having said that, those intentions were shown with Delort, just unfortunate it turned out the way it did. The loan market is still open too. Anyway, Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Options
    Spot on SHG.
  • Options
    Given where we were this time last year/even at the end of May, I'd have taken where we are now in a heartbeat. I think we are just going to have to get used to the fact that RD is not going to do things the traditional way. Last minute gazillions on marquee signings is not going to be his way and I'm pleased about that. He has already spent serious money (for RD) on Vetokele and as others have said I think he had bargained on getting Delort but probably played a little too much brinksmanship with the agent (I must say if its not about money I can't see the relative attraction of Wigan over Charlton) without having a plan B. He's still learning this game and is determined to tackle some of the less savoury stuff head on. Fair play to him even if it does, occasionally, leave us in the lurch. We have not sold anyone that I'd miss and, while I'd like to have seen the back of Church, Saturday showed us that he still has a credible bit part role to play. January will be another matter altogether. If we maintain our momentum, RD has a choice to make at that point and if he's worth his salt he'll be doing his homework between now and then. Just hope Igor doesn't get injured. As an aside, we now have a squad that is totally set up to play 4-5-1 with multiple midfield options. Onwards and Upwards. Oh, and Delort might turn out to be crap.....
  • Options
    We all seemed to be hankering for a goal scoring striker but we already have one in Igor. How many clubs have two prolific strikers? I didn't think we would sign anyone. Mad dash before 11pm deadline doesn't really seem like it would be Roland's thing.
    I'm not disappointed or feeling let down. How could I when we have already signed a number of cracking players we git our business done early. And wasn't it refreshing not to be sweating over losing any of our assets
  • Options
    After the start we have had, as fans it is hard not to get over excited and carried away, as this is why we put up with the seasons of misery, as we know we will get glimmers of joy too.

We have done great business this summer but i can't help but feel we are 1 or 2 players short of having a squad that really can compete over 46 games with the parachute payment rich clubs or the others willing to risk it all for a chance to join the premiership money train.

I will stick to what i said before the season and still be delighted with a solid top half finish but when your 6th after 5 games with the one half of the leagues top goalscorers its hard not to be desperate for those extra players that might keep us in this postion for the next 41 games.
  • Options
    Expect one or two loanees or free agents to bolster the squad
  • Options
    Despite some late-night negotiations, Charlton were unable to add to their squad before the summer transfer window closed on Monday evening
    Iain Liddle reports

Despite some late-night negotiations, Charlton were unable to add to their squad before the summer transfer window closed on Monday evening.

Two deals for potential signings were still being worked on until less than an hour before the deadline, however no agreements could be reached in time.

The Addicks are one of just two sides in the Championship who remain unbeaten after the first five matches and, with the loan window opening shortly, there will be opportunities to add to the current playing squad before January.

“We have made a very good start to the new season, especially considering how many new players we have in the side,” said CEO Katrien Meire.

“There were discussions over potential additions to the squad before the end of the window and we began negotiations with clubs over a couple of players.

“They have to be the right players and personalities, who we think will add to our current group and are affordable in the context of the club’s commitment to adhering to financial fair play regulations.

“We are happy with our current squad and we did not just want to bring in players because of the pressure of the looming deadline.

“Also, with a number of promising young players at the club, we are keen to aid their development and continue to show there will always be a pathway to the first team for the most talented youngsters at Charlton.

“As always, we will continue to assess the playing squad over the coming weeks and months and remain determined that we have a group capable of competing in the Championship.”

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140902-statement-on-transfers-1892779.aspx#zWGjpoPvFrRqDzby.99
  • Options
    I heard they were both midfielders though, so a striker wasn't lined up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would ruiz have been one?
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Expect one or two loanees or free agents to bolster the squad

That will be great to see us through to January - any ideas on positions or calibre of players?

• Options
    Was Ruiz really linked with us??
  • Options

A signing like Yann a few years ago to really get the pulses racing would have been great as we all fear Igor the great getting crocked and having a lack of a decent plan B up top.

With midfield looking like a very strong area for us I just wonder if Big Bob might tinker with a 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 to get the best out of the squad if we lose a couple on the trot.

Or maybe adopt the Craig Levein approach and go 5-5-0.!
  • Options
    Are there actually any decent players on frees?
  • Options
    Unless the comment about signing Yann is ironic, I'm not sure at the time it got pulses racing, more a raised eyebrow than a racing pulse - at the time he signed.
  • Options
    Andrew Johnson imo is worth a gamble can't believe I am typing it though

Not assigned to any club, 7% body fat, injury free and 33 yrs of age

Worth a punt on the right contract

(Spits on floor and washes mouth from a tramps piss filled boot)
  • Options
    Would be better off with Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    Now it would appear that Roly and Katrien understand the meaning of 'value' and will not pay over the odds in terms of either a fee or wages.

Delort proved too rich for their taste and for a tier 2 club there must be plenty of other fish left in the sea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is very easy to spend someone else's money. I am sure everyone agrees that good strikers don't grow on trees and don't come cheaply. So we lost out on Delort, but that is not a case for signing someone who is not going to a squad that has already started well. I expect fans of every club in the Championship are saying what might have been but we can now get on with the season with the squad we have; a squad which may still be further strengthened by some suitable loan signings.
    I just wish we didn't have this international break so that we could maintain the momentum. Roll on Saturday week; a good crowd and good win and some happy Lifers! COYR's
  • Options

Yep agree with this^

To be honest I think we've f***** up. If we are serious about mounting a challenge in the upper reaches of the championship we desperately needed more fire power up top to ease the pressure on the emerging Vetokele who will suffer form and injuries throughout the season. We clearly had money to spend and put all our eggs in the Delort basket but that gamble of foolish brinkmanship obviously failed. We also appeared to have not had a plan `B' which was very disappointing....well we might of had one but if we did it too obviously failed so the result is the same.

I fear we may have just blown our top six chance....

Isnt plan 'B' the loan market?. Surely not splashing the cash on a player we didnt really want is better.
    I do understand your points, and yes we would all like a "big" signing or even two!
    BUT the way I am looking at our current situation is...........look where we was this time last year, I think most of us thought the worst and we would be relegated. So I am not worried about "even" finishing in the top six, I would be more than happy to finish in the top half (and preferably above Millwall). As long as our football keeps improving, our new players really get to know each other (and BP) our pitch holds out!
    And then the following season have a real go, I think that would be more realistic although the higher we finish this season will be a bonus for us long suffering supporters!
    Keep the faith......

COYR......
  • Options
    Why spend money on someone just for the sake of it? Doesn't make good business sense.
    As has already been said much earlier on this thread, the transfer window is a huge hype from Sky Sports. They've gone massive this time around on the last 24 hours of the window.
    Yet again it's all about the over-inflated salaries of players (and their media coverage) plus the wedge agents want to get in their back pocket. Oh, and of course viewing ratings for Sky Sports, too!
  • Options
    Fair play to Katrien, she certainly hit all the right notes with that communiqué:
    ● Right players and personalities
    ● Adhering to FFP regulations
    ● Not reacting to pressure of deadline
    ● Awareness of young players at the club
    ● Continual assessment of playing squad
  • Options
    Stig said:

Fair play to Katrien, she certainly hit all the right notes with that communiqué:

Now you've done it again Stig - I'm in yet another Katrien induced swooooooooooooooooooooooooon ;-)
  • Options
    Stig said:

And this is so correct, great work from RD and the club, some of the posters on here appear to just want to spend the owners dough and get players in for the sake of it. For every bargain like Yann (spits on floor) there is always a Jimmy Floyd Piggybank/Francis Jeffers disaster waiting to happen.

RD and the board have proved themselves so far, some good astute signings have been made.
    If we were all being honest, at the start of the season we would have wished to be unbeaten in the league and in a playoff position after 5 games, so we can't complain can we really?

Yes we need to strengthen, but the loan window opens and business will be done, I am sure, why? because the powers that be know what they are doing more than anyone on this forum.
  • Options
    Stig said:

All true, and I agreed wholeheartedly with your opening post and AFKA's comments. The fact remains though, that not signing another striker on a permanent deal must be a disappointment to everyone, even if it's for the best of reasons. Chances are we'll bring in a loanee when we have already said we would prefer to invest in developing permanent talent rather than someone else's.
  • Options
    Typical Charlton was always to be well managed on AND off the pitch. Looks to me like we're getting that back.
  • Options
    Bob and the club have repeatedly said they will be keeping an eye on the youth players, and giving them chances when appropriate, so I guess there lies their approach, to how we will last the season, perhaps not the most glamorous of answers, but it could well work out...
  • Options
    I guess it's either glass half empty or glass half full, I fall into the former, and see the lack of input typical, cue the club statement to try and placate us. it doesn't work for me.