Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Keith Moon....

edited September 2014 in Not Sports Related
36 years ago today.

A real one of a kind.

Comments

• Options
    And he played at the Valley
  • Options
    His biography, 'Dear Boy', is a great read and some of the footage of his drumming and other antics in 'The Kids are Alright' film is great fun too. Legend!
  • Options
    Echoing what CharltonMadrid has posted I think 'Dear Boy' is one of - if not the - greatest books on rock I have ever read. Love The Who and Moon's drumming on songs like 'I Can See for Miles' or 'Pictures of Lily' is stunning
  • Options
    Actually a class drummer. Different from some of the others of that era who came from a rock and blues influence, his drumming has something of dare I say it, a kind of military band/marching band sort of influence (not expressing myself well here) anyway a musical genius and a one off.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Actually a class drummer. Different from some of the others of that era who came from a rock and blues influence, his drumming has something of dare I say it, a kind of military band/marching band sort of influence (not expressing myself well here) anyway a musical genius and a one off.

He actually started drumming in the Boys Brigade I believe Seth.

• Options
    Where do the years go?
  • Options

what position?
  • Options
    Plenty of lead guitarists in his era but Moon was the only lead drummer.
  • Options
    Who nut me. God bless you Moon the Loon...
  • Options
    As an old Mod, i loved the Who and Moon was certainly a character. But in my opinion (and i'm not a musician) his technique in his early years was, to put it politely, extravagant. Later on as the band developed he did seem to improve. But i don't feel he was ever a 'great drummer' just a very entertaining one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

what position?
    He played at the back(of the stage)
  • Options
    The most exciting drummer EVER!
  • Options
    I heard of his passing on radio KHJ in LA whilst driving on the Ventura Freeway from Woodland Hills. Us 3 guys from Bromley couldn't believe the news at first.

Always think of him when I see any LA freeway scenes on tv or movies.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Plenty of lead guitarists in his era but Moon was the only lead drummer.

I loved Moons drumming and rock star antics however in the music world Lewishams Ginger Baker is considered head and shoulders above Moon Bonham etc.
  • Options
    Yeah technically he isn't the greatest drummer. Still a mad ridiculous genius though, love him.
  • Options
    Dear Boy is great and another book by the same author Tony Fletcher I can really recommend is Boy about Town which is his autobiography of his early years - a great read if you were into music and the same sort of age growing up in the 70s and 80s. BUT and its a big one. He is a stripey bloody Nigel and even has the cheek to slag us off in the book AND there a Palace badge on the cover.
  • Options
    Moon had a small role on the David Essex film 'That'll be the day', I think rather than the follow up 'Stardust'. He has a little mad moment to demonstrate why he was irreplaceable from the band.
    BTW two very good films that captures the era well in my opinion. I got hold of the DVD of both and showed them to a younger generation and they were blown away by the ending.
    Get to see them if you haven't already.
  • Options

Moon had a small role on the David Essex film 'That'll be the day', I think rather than the follow up 'Stardust'. He has a little mad moment to demonstrate why he was irreplaceable from the band.
    BTW two very good films that captures the era well in my opinion. I got hold of the DVD of both and showed them to a younger generation and they were blown away by the ending.

And of course That'll be the Day features an early role for Addicks fan Karl Howman...
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Agreed. Great films. Recommended.
  • Options

And of course That'll be the Day features an early role for Addicks fan Karl Howman...
    Indeed. I had forgotten that one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Daggs said:

As an old Mod, i loved the Who and Moon was certainly a character. But in my opinion (and i'm not a musician) his technique in his early years was, to put it politely, extravagant. Later on as the band developed he did seem to improve. But i don't feel he was ever a 'great drummer' just a very entertaining one.

I don't think he was either but he was the most entertaining.