Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fred Dibnah

Just been watching the Fred Dibnah story on BBC 2.
He might be northern, but they don't make them like him anymore!

Comments

• Lovely bloke; loved his TV shows..."Did yee like thart?"
  • great Character but always wondered why he had to wear a white shirt underneath his dungarees ...always covered in grease and Oil !
  • I agree, Fred Dibnah brought such enthusiasm to his subjects. Even stuff I was not remotely interested in normally became fascinating when he spoke about it.
  • Someone who showed that having knowledge and lots of enthusiasm can make subject matters interesting even to those with just a passing interest. Much better than what we too often get with a presenter whose there because they look good and their accent fits.
  • Totally agree. My current favourite is Martin Lewis. Like to see him in a political/ecenomic exposee role, perhaps looking at the the lack of true competition in business.
  • Have you watched Guy Martin (former motorcycle racer from way up North) in his series about old stlye English engineering? Great stuff.
    (Loved Dibnah too)
  • edited September 2014
    Who is the proper Novern geezer on at the moment? Last night he was fixing a pier somewhere, complete with tram and a vintage Helter Skelter, can't remember the channel.

Proper Norvern he is, covered in a thin layer of sweat and grease you only get from proper manual graft, quiff and lamb chop sideburns,the full monty. He could'nt be more Norvern if he was dipped in whippet dripping and had an extra large chip surgically sewn onto both shoulders! I like the dudes style.

Also Scrappers on BBC1, proper Boltonites. It takes all sorts to make a world.
  • Loved Fred he thought H+S meant Hat and Scarf
  • I met Fred quite a few years back. Lovely chap but could he talk, he went on and on and on and on.
    He had fantastically neat hand writing, his technical drawings were art work and knew a great deal about a lot of crafts. I asked about knocking down the chimneys, he told me he restored more, in later years, than taking them down.