Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Franklin Expedition

Comments

• Options
    fascinating story. Lots about this in the maritime museum.
  • Options
    Spent nearly 10 years working at the Maritime Museum, so know this story very well. Amazing discovery.
  • Options
    I agree Henry - the absolute epitome of Victorian courage in the face of terrible adversity.

Interesting political undertone with increasing Canadian activity in the Artic which is becoming a much sought after territory, especially from a Russian perspective.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

I agree Henry - the absolute epitome of Victorian courage in the face of terrible adversity.

Interesting political undertone with increasing Canadian activity in the Artic which is becoming a much sought after territory, especially from a Russian perspective.

The search for them which Franklin's wife lobbied for for years is just as intriguing.
  • Options
    Time to play Lord Franklin I think - Martin Carthy or Pentangle - either version will do..
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Sounds a fascinating story - must re-read up on it.
    Also sounds like a Discovery programme later this year.
  • Options
    I work in the Maritime Museum, so this is a very exciting discovery. Hopefully it will bring to light answers from the expedition.
  • Options
    Have been fascinated and in awe of this story for years. So another piece of the jigsaw has been found.

Sir John Franklin's statue is in Waterloo Place near the Mall & is inscribed to him 'and his crew who gave their lives in completing the discovery of the North-West passage'.
    Sadly we know that statement cannot be true. Brave men nevertheless.

Saw a tv documentary on this subject, they record that Inuits came across a few survivors hauling a rowing boat across the ice.
    They reckon it was 5 or 6 years after the ships were trapped. That is hardship almost beyond endurance.

Through Inuit contact it was thought the crew split into 2 opposing camps, one practicing cannibalism, one not.

Just thinking who finally discovered a route through the North West passage. Was it Nansen in around 1912/14 ?

• Options
    What do @stoneroses19‌ and @PeteF‌ ‌ do at the maritime museum and is Rob Sneddon still there?
  • Options
    Used to go through the tunnel to the Sir John Franklin pub to see the strippers before our home games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just thinking who finally discovered a route through the North West passage. Was it Nansen in around 1912/14 ?

Amunsen (sp) in about 1906
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

What do @stoneroses19‌ and @PeteF‌ ‌ do at the maritime museum and is Rob Sneddon still there?

I was in facilities then ran one of the stores, Rob Sneddon is now a black cab driver, did my sailing course with Rob, many a drunken night!
  • Options
    Pete, where did you do your sailing and what level did you get up to?
    (See how we've seamlessly gone from Franklin to sailing- although maybe there is a relationship !)
  • Options
    Did mine with Capital Sailing, mostly around the Solent, but also off Cornwall. Now a qualified skipper, no boat though sadly.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

I work in visitor experience and with local schools.
  • Options

fascinating story. Lots about this in the maritime museum.

Just a short note regarding this. As of two days ago the museum closed the Explorers / Franklin gallery. Sadly all artefacts are now in storage.