Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

St George's Day

http://www.enjoyengland.com/attractions/events/calendar/april/st-george-events.aspx

Comments

• Options
    fweeeee woderwick!!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Can we not continue our great St Georges Day traditions of:

moaning that no one celebrates St Georges Day

blaming some unidentified "them" for stopping us celebrating our culture and history

Not being quite quite able define what Englishness is

Wearing a nylon replica umbro En-ger-land shirt

bitching about managers/colleagues who don't know it's St Georges Day/Ask "why are you wearing a red rose?"/won't give us a day off/celebrate St Patrick's day but not St Georges.

Or perhaps we could move on and read some Hardy or Shakespeare or Orwell, learn about the Levellers, the Diggers and the Chartists, drink some English Ale and toast our contributions to the world such as parliamentary democracy, the abolition of slavery, the English language, Trial by Jury, the defeat of Nazism, fair play, route master buses, More great pop groups than you could list here, Mods, rockers, skins, punks, two tone and Cricket
  • Options
    Me & Four other guys have the Day Off. We have printed off a Pub Guide of Kingston-On-Thames with 52 Pubs, we will be frequenting as many of them that are still there as possible. Red Roses have been ordered from Local Florist as currently out of season over here apparently. Bit of a tradition this one that we will continue until unable to do so. Anyone in the Kingston area that day wishing to join us is welcome.
  • Options
    you forgot nurses, red pillarboxes, The Sun, fish n chips, fools & horses, land of hope and glory, and black taxis Henry.

When is it ? :-)

I'm flying back from a stag do that day, and will be unlikely to raise a smile, let alone a toast to this fine nation.
  • Options
    I know all about the Levellers, Henry......seen them dozens of times.

"There's only one way of life - and that's your own...." ;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Did we invent nurses? Don't mention Florence Nightingale (bloody St Thomas slapper)

But for another list, as once sung by another English Treasure MAx Wall I give you:

There are jewels in the crown of England's glory
    And every jewel shines a thousand ways

Frankie Howerd, Nol Coward and garden gnomes
    Frankie Vaughan, Kenneth Horne, Sherlock Holmes
    Monty, Biggles and Old King Cole
    In the pink or on the dole
    Oliver Twist and Long John Silver
    Captain Cook and Nelly Dean
    Enid Blyton, Gilbert Harding
    Malcolm Sargeant, Graham Greene (Graham Greene)

All the jewels in the crown of England's glory
    Too numerous to mention, but a few
    And every one could tell a different story
    And show old England's glory something new

Nice bit of kipper and Jack the Ripper and Upton Park
    Gracie, Cilla, Maxy Miller, Petula Clark
    Winkles, Woodbines, Walnut Whips
    Vera Lynn and Stafford Cripps
    Lady Chatterley, Muffin the Mule
    Winston Churchill, Robin Hood
    Beatrix Potter, Baden-Powell
    Beecham's powders, Yorkshire pud (Yorkshire pud)

With Billy Bunter, Jane Austen
    Reg Hampton, George Formby
    Billy Fury, Little Titch
    Uncle Mac, Mr. Pastry and all
    Uncle mac, Mr. Patry and all

allright england?
    gwan england
    oh england

All the jewels in the crown of England's glory
    Too numerous to mention, but a few
    And every one could tell a different story
    And show old England's glory something new

Somerset Maugham, Top Of The Form with the Boys' Brigade
    Mortimer Wheeler, Christine Keeler and the Board of Trade
    Henry Cooper, wakey wakey, England's labour
    Standard Vanguard, spotted dick, England's workers

Not sure about Upton Park and some of the refrences are too old even for me. Anyone know who reg hampton or mortimer wheeler were?
  • Options
    Sorry, on a roll now.

We are the Village Green Preservation Society.
    God save Donald Duck, vaudeville and variety.
    We are the Desperate Dan Apreciation Society.
    God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties.

Preserving the old ways from being abused.
    Protecting the new ways, for me and for you.
    What more can we do?

We are the Draught Beer Preservation Society.
    God save Mrs. Mopp and good old Mother Riley.
    We are the Custard Pie Appreciation Consortium.
    God save the George Cross, and all those who were awarded them.

We are the Sherlock Holmes English-speaking Vernacular.
    God save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.
    We are the Office Block Persecution Affinity.
    God save little shops, china cups, and virginity.
    We are the Skyscraper Condemnation Affiliates.
    God save Tudor houses, antique tables, and billiards.

Preserving the old ways from being abused.
    Protecting the new ways, for me and for you.
    What more can we do?

God save the village green!
  • Options
    Have celebrated this Day for many years now and this year will be the same !!!! bring on the bank holiday arguments !!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Spot on Henry. stop the moaning, put down the daily mail and start celebrating (apart from the cricket).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Or perhaps we could move on and read some Hardy or Shakespeare or Orwell, learn about the Levellers, the Diggers and the Chartists, drink some English Ale and toast our contributions to the world such as parliamentary democracy, the abolition of slavery, the English language, Trial by Jury, the defeat of Nazism, fair play, route master buses, More great pop groups than you could list here, Mods, rockers, skins, punks, two tone and Cricket

Did you have 'Land of Hope and Glory playing quietly in the background as you typed that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No, I listened to the two songs above. Much better and more evocotive, for me at least. I quite dislike how Englishness is seen to be expressed by LOHAG and all that last night of proms sillyness. We are more than that.

If you want a hymn then Jeruselem is much better as a tune and for the lyrics IMHO.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    daily mail??? grr.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]No, I listened to the two songs above. Much better and more evocotive, for me at least. I quite dislike how Englishness is seen to be expressed by LOHAG and all that last night of proms sillyness. We are more than that.

If you want a hymn then Jeruselem is much better as a tune and for the lyrics IMHO.

Jeruselem is a good protest song nothing more.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    please explain. I thought it was about sex
  • Options
    Something about new Jerusalem in the labour movement some time back..
  • Options
    but Blake wrote the lyrics in the 19th Century.

More a call for a return to pre-industrial (dark satanic mills) England as touched by god (and did those feet..) than a protest song. Sung by the WI as well.
  • Options
    Now theres one to get the hairs on the back of the neck raised.

I will be dj'ing for St Georges day and celebrating with those who are aware it is out patron saints day.

I've gone past moaning at people for not knowing about the day
  • Options
    I believe a Labour movement of sorts existed in the 19th century? Or perhaps its just a coincedence..?
  • Options
    The text of the poem was inspired by an apocryphal story which narrated that Jesus, while still a young man, accompanied Joseph of Arimathea to the English town of Glastonbury. Blake's biographers note that he believed in the legend; however, the poem's theme or subtext is subject to much sharper debate, probably accounting for its popularity across the philosophical spectrum.

As a Romanticist paean the poem has come under criticism. Consequently some see it as unsuitable as an English national anthem, and its reference to a foreign city as puzzling to other nations. It is unlikely that Blake intended such a literal interpretation, however, or that most who sing and love the song believe in such a literal reading of the lyrics; legends contain important truths to many people.

The Christian Church in general and the English Church in particular have long used Jerusalem as a metaphor for heaven. It is the city in the sky, as it were, where love is universal and all is well. The hymn is sung on Jerusalem Sunday -- a day set aside to celebrate the holy city -- in Anglican Churches throughout the world and even in some Episcopal Churches in the U.S. Also sung is the hymn 'Jerusalem the Golden with milk and honey blessed... I know not oh I know not what joys await me there....' etc.

The term "Satanic Mills", which entered the English language from this poem, is most often interpreted as referring to the early industrial revolution and its destruction of nature. [1] Indeed, the term is often used with this connotation up to the present.

Other explanations offered for "Satanic Mills" were the Established Church, the universities of Oxford and Cambridge, or Neolithic remains such as Stonehenge which Blake considered Satanic. [2]

One particular line from the poem, "Bring me my chariot of fire", which inspired the title of the film Chariots of Fire, most probably draws on the story of 2 Kings 2:11, where the Old Testament prophet Elijah is taken directly to heaven: "And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven." A church congregation sings "Jerusalem" at close of the film.

Whatever Blake's exact intention, it seems unlikely that the "mental fight" referred to was a concrete war waged by an army against an external enemy, or that the various archaic weapons enumerated were intended to represent modern arms. (Though the poem was written during the Napoleonic Wars, Blake was an outspoken supporter of the French Revolution, whose successor Napoleon claimed to be.)

[edit] Popularisation
    Nevertheless, the poem -- little known during the century which followed its writing -- was included in a patriotic anthology of verse published in 1916, a time when morale had begun to decline due to the high number of casualties in the First World War and the perception that there was no end in sight.

Under these circumstances, it seemed to many to define what Britain was fighting for. Therefore, Parry was asked to put it to music at a Fight for Right campaign meeting in London's Royal Albert Hall. The most famous version was orchestrated by Sir Edward Elgar in 1922 for the Leeds Festival. Upon hearing the orchestral version for the first time, King George V said that he preferred that "Jerusalem" replace "God Save the King" as the National Anthem.

This is considered to be England's most popular patriotic song, often being used as an alternative national anthem. It was used as a campaign slogan by the Labour Party in the 1945 general election. (Clement Attlee said they would build "a new Jerusalem"). The song is also the unofficial anthem of the British Women's Institute, and historically was used by the National Union of Suffrage Societies.

Stolen from Wikipedia of course :-)