Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dr Who last night.

What the feck was that all about?

Comments

• Options
    Don't watch it anymore. Personally, I am not convinced with this new Doctor and am disappointed with the series.
    Anyone else got any opinions?
  • Options
    WayneK said:

What the feck was that all about?

Seemed like 3 different stories jumbled together randomly. Lost interest after 20 minutes. Shame after last week's Robin Hood thing.
  • Options
    Isn't it for kids ?
  • Options
    Not been too enamoured with the latest series. Thought last night's episode started well and seemed to be heading towards a suspense filled chapter but thought it lost it's way and the ending was disappointing. Although it did leave some things unexplained, so maybe the story will return
  • Options
    lost its way a bit
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I thought it was a very clever story, I love the concept of the paradoxes and the introduction of an idea or concept that comes full circle. In this case the Doctor telling Clara a tale that she later tells him, before he told her.

I find these stories with time travel to be the most intelligent and the ones I like the best, although I do understand that some of it will go over the heads of young children.

I also agree that this season has been a disappointment. I didn't like the idea of a young Doctor when Matt Smith came in but it worked and was both fun and entertaining and I felt that he 'owned' the character as soon as the first episode had finished. The latest episodes have been terribly underwhelming, and the new Doctor seems like he is out of his time. Maybe they could have, and maybe they did, have that sort of character in the 60s but I don't think it works today, sadly.

My ten year old son loves Doctor Who but he has lost interest with the new ones and I fear that could be a long term trend and I'm not sure there is as much of a future for Doctor Who if it is for adults only. The thought of it going off the screens would have horrified me, but if this is what it is going to be like then, frankly, it won't be that much of a miss.
  • Options
    Hmmmm. Think the topic that Millwall fans have set up on North Stand Banter is about to get another post..........
  • Options
    Clara is such a sort though.
  • Options

Still prefer Amy I must admit. Legs, red hair, gorgeous and that accent... yum.
  • Options
    I loved Listen, amazing dialogue, incredibly thought provoking. With Charlton's decent form, I'm enjoying Saturdays at the moment.

I wouldn't disagree...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really like the new Doctor, and although I didn't mind last weeks episode, in general the scripts have been bad for a few years now. Possibly since Russell T Davies left.

Also I think the decision to drop the two-part episodes was a big O.G. - there's just no time to develop the supporting characters, and no cliffhanger.
  • Options

I loved Listen, amazing dialogue, incredibly thought provoking. With Charlton's decent form, I'm enjoying Saturdays at the moment.

I wouldn't disagree...
    Neither would I.

• Options
    I thought Listen was superb, head and shoulders above last week's Robot of Sherwood.

And yes, Clara is a sort!
  • Options

I thought it was a very clever story, I love the concept of the paradoxes and the introduction of an idea or concept that comes full circle. In this case the Doctor telling Clara a tale that she later tells him, before he told her.

I find these stories with time travel to be the most intelligent and the ones I like the best, although I do understand that some of it will go over the heads of young children.

I also agree that this season has been a disappointment. I didn't like the idea of a young Doctor when Matt Smith came in but it worked and was both fun and entertaining and I felt that he 'owned' the character as soon as the first episode had finished. The latest episodes have been terribly underwhelming, and the new Doctor seems like he is out of his time. Maybe they could have, and maybe they did, have that sort of character in the 60s but I don't think it works today, sadly.

My ten year old son loves Doctor Who but he has lost interest with the new ones and I fear that could be a long term trend and I'm not sure there is as much of a future for Doctor Who if it is for adults only. The thought of it going off the screens would have horrified me, but if this is what it is going to be like then, frankly, it won't be that much of a miss.

To be fair, I think Matt Smith took a long time to bed in, particularly given his age. Capaldi is more convincing as the Doctor from the off, but he's really been given some dud stories so far. I thought Listen was the best one for a while, although it did disappear up its arse at the end, classic Moffat sadly.

Sometimes you don't want clever, you just want to feel there's a tussle between the Doctor and something other than what the BBC can next sell to kids

Probably old news now but judging by those photos, Clara's had some work done.

• Options
    20s outfit Clara this week was especially good.
  • Options
    I wonder if the BBC are now developing the scripts with the US market in mind, it seems to be getting more and more mentions on different shows from there.

They did the same with Torchwood and destroyed it.
  • Options
    Only seen one Capaldi episode and I enjoyed it. I've liked Dr Who all my life though and I hope it does continue to appeal to children as well as adults.
  • Options
    A great gesture, and typical of the man
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A great gesture, and typical of the man
    It always amuses me that Capaldi's break out role was probably Malcolm Tucker, one of the angriest, sweariest, nastiest characters not named Gordon Ramsay ever created when by all accounts he sounds a genuinely great guy. Not to mention, he's been really good as the Doctor. I was getting a bit bored of ADHD immature man-child Doctors, glad to have one with a bit more gravitas.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Strange quote on Dr Who recently, about (the girl from game of thrones) being at Agincourt and winning the Hundred years war, strange as Agincourt 1415 did not decide the Hundred years war which is taken to have ended much later c1453 at Castillon.

Agincourt may have secured Henry inheritance of the French crown however he died before he could enjoy that privilege, and the English lost, including all their French land except Calais. Sloppy work.

Interesting article on Agincourt http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1080764/War-crime-Battle-Agincourt-finest-hour-says-author-Bernard-Cornwell.html
  • Options
    Yes but she was there and you weren't ;-)
  • Options
    Thats not the point dear..
  • Options
    60 years to the day since the first episode. Incredible longevity. Special Anniversary episode on Saturday at 6.30pm. 
  • Options
    Pretty incredible really. Some real highs with Tom Baker and David Tennant, while some other incarnations have just not worked for me, nor the screenwriters’ stories. Public service fees have helped this show survive for so long without question. If it was merely a commercial venture, a few of those Dr incarnations would have killed it long ago. 

Hope Tennant and the storyline does the 60th anniversary justice come Saturday. 🤞
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Pretty incredible really. Some real highs with Tom Baker and David Tennant, while some other incarnations have just not worked for me, nor the screenwriters’ stories. Public service fees have helped this show survive for so long without question. If it was merely a commercial venture, a few of those Dr incarnations would have killed it long ago. 

Hope Tennant and the storyline does the 60th anniversary justice come Saturday. 🤞
    Sales overseas more likely, which have also increased the budget. The following is a very old article, admittedly.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/jul/12/doctor-who-bbc-worldwide

• Options

I am not so sure? The lowest rated Dr. Who last year (April 17th special) got 3.4 million viewers, 25th highest viewed programme of the week. The third highest that day. 

Last year - compared with ratings since the re-boot started - had a low average viewing figure of 4.4 million across the three specials that were broadcast. But still respectable enough these days to justify it's existence.

We haven't watched for a few years as my sexist wife wouldn't consider a woman in the role...  :D      
  • Options
    No idea why Tennant is back just for 3 episodes.
    Hopefully storylines will go back to basics

Hero
    Villain
    Easy to follow story of good versus

Hopefully the storylines will veer away from being overly convoluted and preachy.
    They should be able to be understood by an 8 year old, without the Doctor having to explain onscreen, exactly what is going on to their companions.