Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Children walking to school

My son has just started in year six, he is ten, and he says that many of his classmates are allowed to walk, and from, to school on their own.

I remember when I was at school telling my parents that 'all the other kids.....' when it suited but it is clear that some of them are allowed to walk on their own.

For those that are parents, what age (or year) did you allow your children to walk to and from school on their own?

For reference the school is less than two minutes walk away and there is only one road to cross and it is a quiet residential road, all be it that parents drive down it looking for a parking space in the morning.

Comments

• Options
    Live two roads from my Primary School... Was definitely walking home alone from an early age (Year Four possibly) but then that was prior to 1995
  • Options
    I seem to remember being allowed to walk to and from school with a friend when I was in Year 5.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Year 6 is ok, gives him a bit of responsibility and gets him ready for big school.
  • Options
    My son was walking on his own by year 4 or 5 but only one busy road with a lollipop lady.

I think we went with him a few times but let him do the crossing on his own to be sure he understood what to do and then just let him get on with it.
  • Options
    I was certainly walking to and from school on my own in primary school, so probably about age 8 ish? Definitely long before what is now year 6.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Personally, I walked a half mile to school from age 7.

My boys walked a quarter mile to school (crossing Bromley High Street) from year 5.

Starting year 7, they've surely got to be able to get to a Secondary school, by themselves.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    I was getting the bus to school (about a 25-30 minute journey) in Year 6. He should be fine.
  • Options
    I was getting two buses at the age of 7 from Sidcup to Shortlands every day. But that was almost 50 years ago and attitudes have changed for most people.

Certainly has in my case as I have only just allowed my son to walk to school - he has just started senior school and it is a 15-20 minute walk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it is down to the school itself. The primary school that my 3 go to have a stance that once you are in year 5 then you can walk home un-accompanied. My eldest has just been doing it a year now & the middle one has just started & both like the independence its gives them (and the fact they now have their own front door key too).

the school is less than a five minute walk away & no main roads have to be crossed.
  • Options
    Thanks, I think.

If I'm honest I think I was hoping for more ammunition for my 'You're too young to walk on your own' stance. I've, always, been a nervous parent and since my wife left us and I've been bringing him up on my own I feel even more responsibility and have become even more overprotective.

I suspect I knew that it was time I just struggle with the risks that come with it and the fact that should anything go wrong it's all on me.

Strange really as I, like most of you, was walking to school on my own by the age of seven.
  • Options
    Remember KHA, no one knows your kid, your area, the route, the other kids etc better than you. Its not a 'gets to x age so this must happen' situation, its a pure judgement call. If you're gut is saying he is not ready when weighing up the situation, then hold off and say you'll look at it again after Xmas.

However, if you are gonna let it happen, do it now so he gets used to it before the weather etc changes.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    When I passed the 11+ back in 1878 I had the choice of two local Grammar Schools, Colfes (just around the corner, so sleep in till 8.45, bolt over the fence to school happy days...) or Roan in Blackheath (Two buses or a 3-4 mile walk). Of course my old man thought it would be character building to schlep to Roan, so off I trudged in all weathers.

Primary school? walked every day, across major roads, Westhourne Avenue etc. I know times have changed since the 70's but surely it's an added advantage to encourage the little butterballs to walk to school where possible.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    You could say to your kid, "walk ahead of me for a day or two, by about 20 yards and if I'm happy that you're fine, then, you can go it alone."

That way you have a little more comfort that he's fine.
  • Options

When I passed the 11+ back in 1878 I had the choice of two local Grammar Schools, Colfes (just around the corner, so sleep in till 8.45, bolt over the fence to school happy days...) or Roan in Blackheath (Two buses or a 3-4 mile walk). Of course my old man thought it would be character building to schlep to Roan, so off I trudged in all weathers.

Primary school? walked every day, across major roads, Westhourne Avenue etc. I know times have changed since the 70's but surely it's an added advantage to encourage the little butterballs to walk to school where possible.

1878?
  • Options
    sarcasm Leonard
  • Options
    I walked to school on my own from age 5 (Woolwich, no roads to cross, then Erith from age 6 with a main road to cross). This was the 70s, so there was less traffic and less fear.

My daughter started going on her own in y5, but it was complicated because my son was at the same school by then. There's really only one road to cross and we live in Ladywell, so it's a pretty safe area and she had her own phone by then. I'd expect my son to be doing it from Y5 as well, though my other half might disagree. He's currently Y4 and looks little. But equally, he's quite sensible, so I'm relaxed about it. He's not pushed for it yet, though; if your son is after the additional responsibility, talk it through, ultimately he's doing you a favour if he can look after himself more and probably is at an age where he realises how much you're doing.
  • Options
    i'm guessing you live in kings hill KHA? Should be fine, i think i started walking to school by myself around year 6 or at least walking home by myself sometimes. He should know by now not to talk to strangers etc and as some one said before, it gets him ready for secondary school.
  • Options
    I'm sure he's ready - it's just me that isn't. The idea of walking 20 yards behind him is ok but we have kind of been doing that but I live less than 200 yards to the school so it is time to move on the the next phase.

I'm not worried about the usual stuff just the crossing the road.

I'll give it a go later this week.

Thanks chaps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm sure he's ready - it's just me that isn't. The idea of walking 20 yards behind him is ok but we have kind of been doing that but I live less than 200 yards to the school so it is time to move on the the next phase.

I'm not worried about the usual stuff just the crossing the road.

I'll give it a go later this week.

Thanks chaps.

Buy a pair of binoculars and you can watch him, right up to the point he takes his seat :-)
  • Options
    I don't have kids and it would be unfair to say I used to walk to school from the age of five because my school was literally just across the road! In any event the amount of traffic about in the late 1950s was minimal. But I do recall regularly walking from East Greenwich to Greenwich Baths with my mates from the age of about seven.

While it's difficult finding figures from the late 1950s/early 60s, I'm always interested in what statistics tell us. It seems that pedestrian deaths fell from 76.9 per billion kilometres in 1981 to 30.9 in 2008, which is pretty impressive really. But how much of that decrease was down to changing habits and the rise of the school run? Rather than, say, safer vehicle design and safer roads because of measures like 20mph limits?
    What does that mean in reality. Well, according to the Govt, there were only 20 pedestrian children under 15 years of age killed in the UK in 2012. While it's 20 too many, it's still a remarkably low figure. (But there were also another 1500 or so seriously injured.)
    Meanwhile the National Travel Survey published by the Department for Transport, asked parents in Great Britain about their children’s independence in terms of travelling to school unaccompanied by an adult. The majority of children aged 7 to 10 were
    usually accompanied to school by an adult in 2008 (86 per cent), an increase from 78 per cent in 2002. The
    main reasons given for accompanying their children were traffic danger (58 per cent) and fear of assault or molestation
    (29 per cent). So, perhaps child pedestrian deaths have been falling because almost all kids are accompanied?

However fear of assault or molestation is, clearly irrational. A (generally very depressing) NSPCC report states that children are only half as likely to suffer from assault as they were 30 years ago (despite the high profile issues we've all been hearing about). But it obvious that many of the unfortunate individuals that the NSPCC are reporting on would be so very much safer walking to school than they are at home with their parents.

It's clear, I suppose, that parents want to do all they can to minimise risk for their kids. But that has to be balanced, surely, against producing a well-rounded (but not obese!) young adult, confident in their surroundings and familiar with the day-to-day hustle and bustle of the streets?
  • Options
    Have been starting to have the same conversations with my son (just started Year 5)....we're just round the corner from the school, no main roads to cross, bu tam still reluctant... That said, from about age 7, I would be out all day, playing in a park about 2 miles from home, which I'd cycled to and I loved the independence...goodness knows what I'd have done at the time if I'd had an accident / something had gone wrong though (was the 70's, no mobile phones etc)...

Good luck @KHA - I feel your pain.
  • Options
    i walked back home from school when i was 11 untill about 12 as those nice travellers types in the school had taken my bus money----still it was character building and as long as i dont call them a bad name for mugging me every day i should go to heaven --which of course dosnt exist either
  • Options
    I'd say it's all down to your judgement really. I personally think year 6 is a decent age to allow them to walk to school alone, they're old enough to know their surroundings etc.
  • Options
    Year 5 seems to be the norm for kids walking to start walking school. My 8 year old is in year 4 and i wouldn't be that comfortable with him walking to school quite yet. My eldest son started walking to school ( with friends ) at the start of year 5.
  • Options
    My daughter started around the age in question - 11. But she had a mate to walk with
  • Options
    If it's any help KHA, both my two get dropped to school, youngest yr6 eldest yr9 (but eldest walks through a pathway after meeting her friends on her own
  • Options
    I think it depends on how mature/responsible your child is, how safe your area is and how far the walk is. The norm is usually about age 10 years 5/6 if nothing else just to get them used to that bit of independence and responsibily before senior school. If the school is close to home and they are walking as part of a group there is no reason why they can't start younger.
  • Options
    If you are worried you can always compromise and let him drive.