Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Mansfield on Charlton Live

13»

Comments

• Options

Who remembers Adrian from Dartford? He really got under Sunderlands skin!!

Did he work West Hill hospital?
  • Options

Glovepup said:

Anyone listen?

how was it?

Podcast is out, listen for yourself ;-)
    Glovepup said:

Anyone listen?

how was it?

Podcast is out, listen for yourself ;-)
    Where ?
    See link to iTunes at www.charltonlive.co.uk
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Can someone fill me in as to what happened? and when? and who with?

In a nutshell he used to work on a local radio station, Radio Thamesmead/RTM/Millenium were various names for it. The club allowed them to commentate on certain games and have access to the clubs media dept etc. A very good Sunday night phone in show was on RTM in which MM was involved. Then the club did a deal with Capital Gold to give them exclusive rights to Charlton's games, probably worth a few quid at the time. MM took this extremely personally and severed all ties saying that Charlton Chat/Live couldn't continue, although of course it has. His childish behaviour on his last show was so pathetic it was laughable. Seems he hasn't got over it.
    I helped Mark set the thing up in 91, tried to professionalise the adverting sales around it, not sure I had much success, but it was a lot of fun being in the studio. This fallout happened long after I moved to Prague, so I don't know any more than what @Riviera writes, but it fits with all other reports I heard. But it puzzled me how he withdrew completely as a fan too. Maybe when your career gets involved with the club, and then the career bit goes wrong, maybe that knocks your love for the club. I hope I don't do him a disservice but I think Steve Dixon stopped going for a while. But he's back and that's great. As for Airman, to his enormous credit, his run-ins with his employer have never affected his support for the club. It's a bit sad that Mark doesn't feel that way, and that he didn't shed any light on it - not least because he made a huge contribution, right back to the Valley Party. In those days there was ClubCall on paid phone lines, so he invented ValleyCall, which provided up to date news on the Valley Party, and the revenue from the calls went to the campaign fund. Fans gleefully rang up at work and left the phone connected for hours on end :-). He was in the count on election night with his recorder, so we were all able to happily phone up next day and hear action replays of Simon Oelman's demise.
  • Options
    PeteF said:

Sidcuptel said:

Really disappointed with this. The whole interview was around Curbs and the playoff final.
    I wanted to hear his thoughts on the club now,such as ' do you follow the clubs fortunes, do you look in to the web site,do you listen to matches on 'player or look into the fans forums.From the day he walked we have heard not a word,I was hoping for some of the gaps being filled.Sadly we got none of that. I thought PeteF would have delved into why there was such a fall out with Murray ,all we know is it was surrounding the radio contract with Capital Radio. It would have been nice to have got a bit of insight. It was almost as if Mark had agreed to the interview but only on condition we left out the 'meaty stuff' and only asked questions surrounding Curbs and the playoff final.
    Even at the end when Pete said we hope to see you at the Valley again because a lot of people would like to say hello,the comment was ignored he wouldn't commit. Alas I felt he still holds a grudge against the club and has completely wiped it out of his life.Sad,but that was my impression. I would love to be wrong.
    Perhaps Pete can tell us why he didn't do a' Piers Morgan' and get to the bottom of it all.

Doing a Piers Morgan is fine when you have millions of viewers, if our interviews were hard hitting chances are we would struggle to get people to appear, it's not the route I choose to go down.

And you were right to do so imo Pete. Was a great interview.

Has MM cut himself off from Charlton completely if you don't mind me asking?

• Options

PeteF said:

Sidcuptel said:

Really disappointed with this. The whole interview was around Curbs and the playoff final.
    I wanted to hear his thoughts on the club now,such as ' do you follow the clubs fortunes, do you look in to the web site,do you listen to matches on 'player or look into the fans forums.From the day he walked we have heard not a word,I was hoping for some of the gaps being filled.Sadly we got none of that. I thought PeteF would have delved into why there was such a fall out with Murray ,all we know is it was surrounding the radio contract with Capital Radio. It would have been nice to have got a bit of insight. It was almost as if Mark had agreed to the interview but only on condition we left out the 'meaty stuff' and only asked questions surrounding Curbs and the playoff final.
    Even at the end when Pete said we hope to see you at the Valley again because a lot of people would like to say hello,the comment was ignored he wouldn't commit. Alas I felt he still holds a grudge against the club and has completely wiped it out of his life.Sad,but that was my impression. I would love to be wrong.
    Perhaps Pete can tell us why he didn't do a' Piers Morgan' and get to the bottom of it all.

Doing a Piers Morgan is fine when you have millions of viewers, if our interviews were hard hitting chances are we would struggle to get people to appear, it's not the route I choose to go down.

No, he comes a couple of times a year.
  • Options
    PeteF said:

Unlike this fella......

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/man-who-100-orgasms-day-4344405
  • Options
    PeteF said:

PeteF said:

Sidcuptel said:

That's good to hear. i'd heard he wouldn't go near the Valley, but that was a long time ago. Time is a healer .
  • Options
    Really enjoyed the interview, brought back many good memories. Thanks @PeteF‌