Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adopted teams abroad?

Comments

• Real Sociedad (San Sebastián).
    Family ties, going back 60 years.
  • Milan due to the days of Dida, Cafu, Maldini, Stan, Nesta, Gattusso, Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka, Shevchenko, Inzaghi.

Also Napoli due to their fans and rustic stadium. Their recent style of play is some of the best football I've seen too.
  • Valencia
    Inter Milan
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ecuador (international)
  • Portland Timbers - kind of local (3rd nearest team after Vancouver Whitecaps & Seattle Sounders) - we go to Portland quite often & have seen a few Timbers games. Love the atmosphere & they play pretty decent football.
  • stonemuse said:

Having lived and worked in Frankfurt and Singapore on many occasions, I follow Eintracht Frankfurt and Singapore Lions.

Another Eintracht follower for the same reason. Did you live on Adickesallee @stonemuse?
  • Valencia for me

I may be adopting Valencia too if my plans work out.
  • AshBurton said:

stonemuse said:

Having lived and worked in Frankfurt and Singapore on many occasions, I follow Eintracht Frankfurt and Singapore Lions.

Another Eintracht follower for the same reason. Did you live on Adickesallee @stonemuse?
    Would certainly have been appropriate, but unfortunately not.
  • Glenavon in the northern Irish premier league
  • Real Murcia.
  • Oakster said:

Portland Timbers - kind of local (3rd nearest team after Vancouver Whitecaps & Seattle Sounders) - we go to Portland quite often & have seen a few Timbers games. Love the atmosphere & they play pretty decent football.

I still haven't been to see the Timbers, but yeah they're my MLS team too. I have been to see the Thorns, and it's excellent, and they're quality (or at least were last season).
  • Sponsored links:

• Ajax is probably the closest thing for me, got given a Suarez shirt in his second or third season there and followed them on and off since.
  • Vancouver Whitecaps - being in Calgary it's not terribly local but they are closest MLS team we're off to see their a derby game against Portland in a couple of weeks. Should be a good atmosphere and the footie is ok
  • Valencia for me

Same here. Had a flatmate the first two years of uni who was a big Valencia supporter after living in the region in high school. He rubbed off on me. Didn't follow them as closely this last year, but always try to watch them when they're on the telly. A proper shitshow of a club so...it offers no escape.

Oh, and Borussia Dortmund. I know it's very hipster, but a good mate of mine lives in Dortmund and is a massive Dortmund supporter. She even sent my dog a Dortmund bandana. They're an excellent club. Dahoud and Philipp are quality signings as well.
  • The mighty Elfsborg!

I first went to Sweden in '89 to see us play Boras AIK, a non-league side playing in the same city(Boras), as Elfsborg.

I met a geezer there who supports them and I have been over there almost every year since. I lived there in 2008 for fourteen months and even had a season ticket. Have probably seen them play at about 20 grounds.
  • AshBurton said:

stonemuse said:

My German buddy is an Eintracht season ticket holder. Always texting me when they are doing 'well'. When I tipped up there while travelling across Germany, they had an away derby against Mainz. He couldn't get a ticket for love or money, so he said we'd watch it on a big screen in a big Frankfurt pub. Said pub serves this weird apple based alcoholic drink (it doesn't deserve to be called cider). They were all drinking it in big glasses rather than beer. It was a 0-0, would have been if they played until midnight, and that apple thing is awful. Oh well..

• AshBurton said:

stonemuse said:

My German buddy is an Eintracht season ticket holder. Always texting me when they are doing 'well'. When I tipped up there while travelling across Germany, they had an away derby against Mainz. He couldn't get a ticket for love or money, so he said we'd watch it on a big screen in a big Frankfurt pub. Said pub serves this weird apple based alcoholic drink (it doesn't deserve to be called cider). They were all drinking it in big glasses rather than beer. It was a 0-0, would have been if they played until midnight, and that apple thing is awful. Oh well..

Apfelwein.

I always refused to drink it but they all love it.
  • stonemuse said:

AshBurton said:

stonemuse said:

Apfelwein.

I always refused to drink it but they all love it.
    Agree, awful stuff. Just give me a decent Hefeweizen any day.

Strange team Eintracht - some games can be dull as dishwater, nailed on 0-0 like the one Prague describes, then they'll suddenly conjure up a 6-3 home win (I saw one against FC Koeln), only to lose 0-4 away the following week.
  • Bayer Leverkusen/Celtic/Cowdenbeath/Deportivo La Coruna/Club Brugge/Belenenses
  • Sponsored links:

• Hamilton Accies and Annan. Cape Town City my current home town
  • SDAddick said:

Valencia for me

Same here. Had a flatmate the first two years of uni who was a big Valencia supporter after living in the region in high school. He rubbed off on me
    Hate when people do that.

• 1860 Munich. Just dropped in to the German 3rd tier, great set of fans just a shame the club's a shambles....sounds familiar...
  • A couple of other teams follow from living there are Slavia Prague and Comunicaciones of Guatemala City. I also have a random affinity with Motherwell.
  • Daddy_Pig said:

The mighty Elfsborg!

I first went to Sweden in '89 to see us play Boras AIK, a non-league side playing in the same city(Boras), as Elfsborg.

I met a geezer there who supports them and I have been over there almost every year since. I lived there in 2008 for fourteen months and even had a season ticket. Have probably seen them play at about 20 grounds.

That was a long year!
    Scratching head trying to see the joke.

Doing Annan v Cowdenbeath on the the 30th September.
  • Portimonense SC , got promoted to the Portuguese Primeira Liga last season, will get to a home game in the summer

If I wasn't going to Fleetwood, I'd see you there ((:>)
  • Cesena in Italy, Konsvinger in Norway and Killie in Scotland

If I wasn't going to Fleetwood, I'd see you there ((:>)
    Blow out Fleetwood mate.