Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

West Ham Shamed.

Another player has let the game down. This time it's James Tomkins of WHU

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-29409099

Comments

• Another bell end player who think they are so far up on life's pedestal that no one has the right to question them or refuse them anything!
  • Of all the dodgy things that have come out of that awful club this is pretty low on the list.
  • And west ham are shamed because?
  • Does show the difference though. If that was me I'd be sacked from my work, and I'm pretty sure I'd struggle to get any other similar work for a long time with assaulting a copper on my record.

A footballer though has no consequence on their career, and bets fined basically two days wages

Not all people would lose their job, I certainly wouldn't. And at the same time you wouldn't be all over the papers and have people judge your whole character from one pissed up mistake. As he got a fine, I'd hazard a guess that this was hardly anything major. Probably seen worse at a game of football!!
  • Does show the difference though. If that was me I'd be sacked from my work, and I'm pretty sure I'd struggle to get any other similar work for a long time with assaulting a copper on my record.

A footballer though has no consequence on their career, and bets fined basically two days wages

Exactly, if that was a normal person like myself then id probably be looking at some time inside. Makes you laugh how most footballers get off lightly

Not all people would lose their job, I certainly wouldn't. And at the same time you wouldn't be all over the papers and have people judge your whole character from one pissed up mistake. As he got a fine, I'd hazard a guess that this was hardly anything major. Probably seen worse at a game of football!!
    My career would be over by the time I got home from court in the event of such a conviction but I can see both points of view and let's face it footballers have been getting into scrapes for as long as I can remember. At the end of the day it got dealt with by the court who heard all the evidence and as much as I like to criticise West Ham whenever I can I can't see it's their fault or the game in general.
  • Sponsored links:

Exactly, if that was a normal person like myself then id probably be looking at some time inside. Makes you laugh how most footballers get off lightly
    You've got nothing to base that on. Assault could mean he gave the copper a slap or wrestled on the floor. If you got no previous then you won't be doing time regardless of your job.
  • Assuming you wouldn't warrant a headline AFKA/Bournemouth (no offence), and hopefully would have the good sense not to volunteer your extra-curricular's to your employer I don't get how they would ever find out for you to lose your job in similar circumstances? Regular CRB checks? I'm pretty sure no-one would be the wiser in my case, I'd just be stuck there forever for fear of failing a fresh background check at a new place.
  • edited September 2014
    I'm confused as to how he hasn't brought shame or embarrassment upon the club.

The video shows two or three officers restraining him on the ground after what would've been a scuffle, for the assault to then have occurred in the car and have injured an officer it would suggest it was serious and separate to the initial scuffle.

If you're defending that then you need to have a word with yourself.

Assuming you wouldn't warrant a headline AFKA/Bournemouth (no offence), and hopefully would have the good sense not to volunteer your extra-curricular's to your employer I don't get how they would ever find out for you to lose your job in similar circumstances? Regular CRB checks? I'm pretty sure no-one would be the wiser in my case, I'd just be stuck there forever for fear of failing a fresh background check at a new place.

Regular CRB checks aren't that rare, and failure to provide information about ongoing legal situations (including debt in some cases) can, depending on your contract, constitute Gross Misconduct.

I know I'd rather surrender that information and resign, perhaps having gardening leave enforced, than sour any potential references by leaving under a cloud after being sacked.

You've got nothing to base that on. Assault could mean he gave the copper a slap or wrestled on the floor. If you got no previous then you won't be doing time regardless of your job.
    That is correct. The article doesn't say what he did. If he had clumped the copper then he would have been imprisoned. There are clear sentencing guidelines and they would not treat a footballer less severely.

Fair point officer Gary.

Probably was something just like a push or something, thinking about it.
  • He pleaded guilty at the last minute.
  • i have done a lot worse and didn't make the beeb must try harder
  • LuckyReds said:

Regular CRB checks aren't that rare, and failure to provide information about ongoing legal situations (including debt in some cases) can, depending on your contract, constitute Gross Misconduct.

I know I'd rather surrender that information and resign, perhaps having gardening leave enforced, than sour any potential references by leaving under a cloud after being sacked.

Good point, thanks. Pretty sure I binned my contract during a de-clutter, I'm sure they'd understand!
  • i have done a lot worse and didn't make the beeb must try harder

You might have to start supporting a Premier League Club for that to happen!
  • Sponsored links:

• I bet Tomkins is gutted , looks like he didn't get a chance to meet frequenter Danny Dyer.

http://www.sugarhutbrentwood.com/guests-friends.php
  • I bet Tomkins is gutted , looks like he didn't get a chance to meet frequenter Danny Dyer.

http://www.sugarhutbrentwood.com/guests-friends.php

"Distinguished Guests" - Truly hilarious :-D

• He's done a stupid thing and he's got a slap on the wrist. I don't see how it shames West Ham at all and I don't like the way these stories get circulated with subtext that footballers are wrong 'uns. There are roughly 3000 professional footballers in this country; if they were as bad as they are painted, I think there'd be far more stories about.
  • 3,500 fine shows this wasn't a big thing.

Time to move on I think.

To be fair though, you are the Archbishop of Canterbury...
  • LuckyReds said:

The video shows two or three officers restraining him on the ground after what would've been a scuffle, for the assault to then have occurred in the car and have injured an officer it would suggest it was serious and separate to the initial scuffle.

Where exactly did you get that? Considering no-one else has mentioned it and from the wording on the actual article it seems little more than a bit of shoving at most - stupid but not exactly a punch up.
  • edited September 2014
    thenewbie said:

LuckyReds said:

Where exactly did you get that? Considering no-one else has mentioned it and from the wording on the actual article it seems little more than a bit of shoving at most - stupid but not exactly a punch up.
    The Mirror has a video of him being restrained on the pavement by two or three officers- mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/watch-moment-premier-league-footballer-4344881. They also mention that he caused "injury" to a police officer.

The Guardian, similarly, mention he caused injury to an officer during a situation in the police car after the initial incident;
    He told the footballer that in the police car he had dealt with the situation “inappropriately causing an injury to the police officer”.
    The Daily Mail are also carrying the video, and they reiterate it was over an incident in that happened in the car - i.e after the scuffle which required multiple officers to restrain him on the floor initially;
    He injured police officer in car where he dealt with situation 'inappropriately'
    The only one who was "shoved" was Tomkins himself, which is what started the incident.

I'm not meaning to portray the guy as a complete bast*rd or anything, and I'm well aware that there are far worse things happening out there, but I've been off work ill all day so been browsing the internet - and I generally end up reading news sites! I hadn't seen the BBC report of it, but strangely they've said the least.

As for the sentence being too lenient for it to have been more than a scuffle, the judge had to account for the late guilty plea and previous good character - he also mentioned the fact that he expected WHU to impose further (financial?) punishment. Considering he had already been restrained once in an initial confrontation, for him to actually inflict an injury on someone else in the car says quite a bit in my mind.

So I stick with; "If you're defending him, then you need to have a word with yourself.". It was after the "scuffle" (which saw him restrained by multiple police officers) had ended and he was in the back of the car that the incident happened, and it's been reported that someone was actually injured due to it.
  • He could have just been wrestling in the back of the motor and a flying elbow could have caught a copper in the eye or a bang of heads. This is a non story that only made three newspapers cos he plays football.
  • Or if he had any sense bitten the coozers nose off and spat it at his pals
  • Whose youth set-up did he come through?