Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peculiar email from an ex-colleague..

I used to work with a Czech Web Developer at a digital agency, a nice lad - he kept himself to himself largely, but opened up a bit to me. Towards the end of my time at that agency we went for a meal where he asked me not to leave the company, before we spent the remainder of my time there working out in Sweden for a couple of weeks. He was a bit of a book worm (had a keen interest in networks and a modicum of knowledge regarding security) and I always felt he was wasted in that setting.

When I left the agency, I quickly found a Software Engineering role elsewhere - something a bit more challenging, a new environment and change of pace. I posted a quick blog post about moving on to pastures new - mentioned my new position and thanked two individuals who I had worked with previously. Czech lad was one of them, this seemed fine considering his web address is actually part of his name after all - and his LinkedIn profile is wide open for the world to see. So everything is already in the public domain.

I'm aware he stopped working at the agency recently - via LinkedIn - and currently has nothing down for his employment. I even considered putting him forward for a role at my new company as he'd make it to the interview without a doubt and I could do with the £1000 referral fee..!

Well, tonight I received this email:

From: ******* ******** (s0nc9+ad0ocwgfjl8c@sharklasers.com)
Hi,

My internet privacy agent has brought to attention that you use my name in one of your public articles from May 25, 2014. I'm going to ask you to take my name down entirely. It's a matter of my privacy and I hope that you'll understand.

Best regards,
My gut reaction was to send him a message on LinkedIn to let him know that I will modify that blog post (as I need to look in to my own personal security a little bit) - but I would appreciate it if he contacted me using a more personal means (Skype? LinkedIn?), refrained from using a fake email address when I have his personal email address as it is, and was a little bit more polite.

That's when I realised his LinkedIn profile has also been deleted; until I logged out of LinkedIn and used Chrome Incognito to attempt to view his profile... He's gone as far as blocking me on LinkedIn, LinkedIn of all places!

What the hell?

Comments

• Options
    Nowt so queer as folk.
  • Options

Nowt so queer as folk.

I think that could be the most succinct explanation for the whole thing!

Currently trying to bash out a polite response whilst hiding the fact I'm curious and have a bee in my bonnet..
  • Options

Deep down you want to share a bed with him don't you.

Well he did just admit that he's curious and that he's bashing one out.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Replied to his actual email address:
    Hi ******,

Of course I understand that, and will make a note to do that when I'm in the office later. I've left my pass token at work so I'm pretty limited in to what I can log in to right now.

I had got a notification through LinkedIn that you'd left ShitCo Ltd, however when I tried to view your profile earlier on to send you a message I saw I couldn't access your account. That said, if you do find yourself out of work and you ever need a hand, let me know and I can recommend you over at NewCo.

I must say though, I actually find it rather peculiar (if not simply rude, combined with the tone) that you'd take the time to use a disposable email address to fill in a simple contact form when we've emailed previously.

Cheers,
    Told him I'd change the stupid post; that I'd noticed I could no longer access his Linked In... but being the bigger man, if he's fallen on hard times I can see if I can help; and that I thought he was a bit of a rude twerp.

I dare say he'll ignore it, but I wouldn't mind a few answers. Not a great feeling to know that ex-colleagues don't even want to acknowledge you exist anymore...!

Deep down you want to share a bed with him don't you.

hah, actually when he took me out for dinner (it was quite an intimate place) - I got concerned that he may been wanting a piece of the ol' Lucky Meat..
  • Options
    Is there a chance that your old company were none too impressed by your blog post, and called him in to ask in what way he was such a help to you?
  • Options
    what's an internet security agent?
  • Options

Nowt so queer as folk.

Especially Czech IT people.

• Options
    Around twenty years ago I used to dj at a couple of indie nights as cover I guess. Both of them were among the biggest in the country at the time and obviously I was and still am immensely proud of my (albeit small) involvement in them. I was very good friends with both the guys ran/deejayed at them and even ran another night alongside one of them.

Anyway in the last couple of years I've dusted off the tunes a couple of times for other things and when promoting these I've mentioned that I used to dj occasionally at the ones a few years back.

Well both times one of the fellas that ran those old nights posted on facebook he had no recollection of me having ever played these clubs and that I should stop saying I did , the worst thing is that I consider him as a good mate so this is really rather strange.

I sent him a private message regarding it and he didn't even reply!

Like @lordromford says "nowt so queer as folk"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2014
    It was the 90's Buckshee. Too many pills, but I remeber you and those 2 guys...........

• Options
    Ha ha , never did the whole mobile dj lark but maybe that's my future.

I remember when I started doing it one of my uncles said to me "what's your patter like between the records?" Had to then explain it wasn't that kind of djing.
  • Options
    Lucky, it's plain to see that is just a standardised generated message from LinkedIn - and certainly he never personally sent it.

Evidently something to do with his deleting his LinkedIn account.
  • Options

what's an internet security agent?

CIA
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I suspect the message was a fake. He may have inadvertently signed up for 'privacy services', hence the impersonal email you received from an unknown address. You have then responded on a personal level and he is likely to perpetuate the nonsense by replying in kind to your message.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

I used to work with a Czech Web Developer at a digital agency, a nice lad - he kept himself to himself largely, but opened up a bit to me. Towards the end of my time at that agency we went for a meal where he asked me not to leave the company, before we spent the remainder of my time there working out in Sweden for a couple of weeks. He was a bit of a book worm (had a keen interest in networks and a modicum of knowledge regarding security) and I always felt he was wasted in that setting.

When I left the agency, I quickly found a Software Engineering role elsewhere - something a bit more challenging, a new environment and change of pace. I posted a quick blog post about moving on to pastures new - mentioned my new position and thanked two individuals who I had worked with previously. Czech lad was one of them, this seemed fine considering his web address is actually part of his name after all - and his LinkedIn profile is wide open for the world to see. So everything is already in the public domain.

I'm aware he stopped working at the agency recently - via LinkedIn - and currently has nothing down for his employment. I even considered putting him forward for a role at my new company as he'd make it to the interview without a doubt and I could do with the £1000 referral fee..!

Well, tonight I received this email:

From: ******* ******** (s0nc9+ad0ocwgfjl8c@sharklasers.com)
    Hi,

My internet privacy agent has brought to attention that you use my name in one of your public articles from May 25, 2014. I'm going to ask you to take my name down entirely. It's a matter of my privacy and I hope that you'll understand.

Best regards,
    My gut reaction was to send him a message on LinkedIn to let him know that I will modify that blog post (as I need to look in to my own personal security a little bit) - but I would appreciate it if he contacted me using a more personal means (Skype? LinkedIn?), refrained from using a fake email address when I have his personal email address as it is, and was a little bit more polite.

That's when I realised his LinkedIn profile has also been deleted; until I logged out of LinkedIn and used Chrome Incognito to attempt to view his profile... He's gone as far as blocking me on LinkedIn, LinkedIn of all places!

What the hell?

You sleep with him, you don't call him back - what do you expect? ;-)
  • Options
    Just send him this