Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any income tax experts in?

Is it true that for every pound you earn over 100k, you lose two from your personal allowance?

Comments

• Options
    WayneK said:

Is it true that for every pound you earn over 100k, you lose two from your personal allowance?

Not quite, the rule is that you lose £1 of allowance for every £2 your adjusted net income exceeds £100k. Adjusted net income is after taking into account things like pension contributions and gift aid payments.
  • Options
    Not a tax expert, but I think it's the other way round. You lose a £1 from your allowance for every £2 you earn over £100K. So I think that means you effectovely pay 51% tax on income between £100K and £120K
  • Options
    As a "house husband" I can only laugh at the prospect of earning the sort of income the opening poster talks about.

Good to get the answer though for when I have to complete the wife's tax return.
  • Options
    Jints said:

Not a tax expert, but I think it's the other way round. You lose a £1 from your allowance for every £2 you earn over £100K. So I think that means you effectovely pay 51% tax on income between £100K and £120K

Not quite. You do lose £1 personal allowance for every £2 you earn over £100k until your personal allowance is all gone, but this makes the effective tax rate 60% (plus EEs NIC).
  • Options
    Isn't it effectively half the basic rate plus the top rate e.g. for £10K over £100K, you pay 40% top rate (£4K) plus you lose £5K personal allowance, so you pay an extra 20% on that (£1K) so you are paying £5K of your £10K on tax, 50%.

Is that right?

• Options

As a "house husband" I can only laugh at the prospect of earning the sort of income the opening poster talks about.

Which I think was whole point of the OP. People who earn over £100k don't need to come on a football forum to ask tax advice.
  • Options

Which I think was whole point of the OP. People who earn over £100k don't need to come on a football forum to ask tax advice.
    Possibly so. But I can think of a lot of people who earn over £100K are clueless when it comes to tax.

Pro footballers for one - and it's cheaper coming on here than hiring an accountant.
  • Options
    I never said I earn 100k, I wish. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    One more question. If you are on PAYE, should your wages department pick this up and sure you pay the right tax?
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Possibly so. But I can think of a lot of people who earn over £100K are clueless when it comes to tax.

Except for tax accountants of course! ;o)