Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wayne Rooney reaches 10m Twitter followers

Says it all about English football that this is being talked as a story in the press. We've gradually gone from a tournament winner, to a threat, to de-valuing an England 'cap' by playing so many friendlies, to being also rans to this

Comments

• Options
    3/4 of his followers are from outside the uk
  • Options

so you thought you would give it a bit more publicity.

Thought it warranted pointing out given that it's gone into the record books. Would love to be saying he was the first England forward to win 3 World Cups but this is a nice 2nd.
  • Options
    What is it that Humphrey Bogart says to Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca? "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."

Of all the grizillions of sources of news, information and analysis available at the click of a mouse or tap of a finger on screen, 10m people choose to follow Wayne Rooney on Twitter.

You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

so you thought you would give it a bit more publicity.

Thought it warranted pointing out given that it's gone into the record books. Would love to be saying he was the first England forward to win 3 World Cups but this is a nice 2nd.
    Two would be the first step.
  • Options
    He's the best English goalscorer in the last 10 years and the main man for arguably the biggest sports franchise in the world, right at the heart of the social media/digital age.

Let's not let that get in the way of slagging off England though!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

He's the best English goalscorer in the last 10 years and the main man for arguably the biggest sports franchise in the world, right at the heart of the social media/digital age.

Yeah but he's as thick as shit, so there's not much point in hanging on to his every word is there?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cafctom said:

Yeah but he's as thick as shit, so there's not much point in hanging on to his every word is there?
    It's Twitter not a religious book.

He doesn't say a lot anyway, but he does sometimes comment on the game or other games, so it's not that much different to reading an interview.

• Options
    And Roy said he'd never be a great communicator! 10 million people can't be wrong surely, Roy!!!

;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Also, why is it that his England achievements (or perceived lack of) always get brought up first?

Many forget that the guy is the third highest goalscorer in Manchester United history, has won the Premier League five times as well as the Champions League.

I also reckon he will be England's all time top goalscorer by the time he retires, only 9 to go.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Also, why is it that his England achievements (or perceived lack of) always get brought up first?

Many forget that the guy is the third highest goalscorer in Manchester United history, has won the Premier League five times as well as the Champions League.

I also reckon he will be England's all time top goalscorer by the time he retires, only 9 to go.

He will get that all time goal scoring record. Not to be overly negative but hardly any of those goals in finals. We play more friendlies these days and look at the quality of some of the nations being let into the euro qualifiers now. Gibraltar.

Great club player. Not one of the best in the world currently, and definitely for me won't go down as one of the greats of the game. For me the only true, pure footballing talent we have had in my lifetime was Gazza.
  • Options
    In other news Paris Hilton has bought a new dog, and she is to call her Pickles. This is very big news in the world as it now means Paris has 2 dogs.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cafctom said:

He will get that all time goal scoring record. Not to be overly negative but hardly any of those goals in finals. We play more friendlies these days and look at the quality of some of the nations being let into the euro qualifiers now. Gibraltar.

Great club player. Not one of the best in the world currently, and definitely for me won't go down as one of the greats of the game. For me the only true, pure footballing talent we have had in my lifetime was Gazza.
    If you don't see him as a great then that is your opinion - however, the statistics and goalscoring record will be enough to demonstrate that he is/was a great player when he retires.

A lot of people hold a lot against him because of the lack of England success and because of some of the off the pitch stuff. If you look at his club achievements, then he will go down as one of English football's best and Manchester United's best.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cabbles said:

cafctom said:

If you don't see him as a great then that is your opinion - however, the statistics and goalscoring record will be enough to demonstrate that he is/was a great player when he retires.

A lot of people hold a lot against him because of the lack of England success and because of some of the off the pitch stuff. If you look at his club achievements, then he will go down as one of English football's best and Manchester United's best.
    Yes as I said, great club player. He's going to go onto beat the Man Utd and England goalscoring record. But for me not one of the greatest all time players, which is my frustration and why I posted the original bit about twitter.

You want your nation's best to be getting awards like world cups, balloon d'ors, European cups.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cafctom said:

I agree with all of that. What annoys me is that I've never heard him claim to be one of the best in the world, or say anything else particularly annoying or offensive. He doesn't say much at all. The media spent several years telling us he was going to become/already was one of the best in the world, and now seem to have turned on him because he's not quite as good as they told us he was going to be.

He's a very good player who always gives 100%, wish the press would leave him to get on with it rather than getting on his back at every opportunity.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cafctom said:

cabbles said:

cafctom said:

Yes as I said, great club player. He's going to go onto beat the Man Utd and England goalscoring record. But for me not one of the greatest all time players, which is my frustration and why I posted the original bit about twitter.

You want your nation's best to be getting awards like world cups, balloon d'ors, European cups.
    Michael Owen has won the Ballon D'or - Is he a great? And if he is, then Wayne Rooney certainly is too.

England fans expectations of England players are always way too high. Why do they have to be winning world awards to be considered 'great'? We haven't won a national tournament since the 60s, so why should 'winning tournaments' be the benchmark we have to meet for anything to be considered truly worthwhile?

If you are the top goalscorer in history for the national team and the biggest English club, which there is a strong chance Rooney will be, then that pretty much guarantees your place in the greats in my opinion. It is impossible to be the top goalscorer of both England and Manchester United and not be great, surely?!
  • Options
    Again, I have no issue with what he has done for his club in being described as a 'great' that is there for all to see. Would I put him in the same bracket as the Ronaldo's/Messi's who are the true greats of this generation, I definitely wouldn't. In fact if you said to me to pick a world XI now, he wouldn't even be on my subs bench.

Re: England, yes you'll probably have to say he is a 'great' when he goes onto to break the goals record, but again I point you to the tournament finals, when it truly counts. He was immense when he played in Euro 2004. Every tournament since that he hasn't made an impact. Some he's been anonymous in. It is a shame the player that terrorised Thuram in the opening game against France in 2004 has never hit those heights. Great assist for the goal against Italy this year, but these moments are too few and far between. Yes I accept the metatarsal injury in 2006/10 (can't remember which one) may have hampered him.

Re: Michael Owen, yes he won the Balloon D'or but has he got 10m Twitter followers;-)
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cabbles said:

cafctom said:

cabbles said:

cafctom said:

Michael Owen has won the Ballon D'or - Is he a great?
    No
  • Options
    I know the subject is more about Rooney for England, but just saw this on Facebook which surprised me;

Since 2011 in the Premier League:

Sergio Agüero:
    Games: 93
    Goals: 56
    Assists: 23

Wayne Rooney:
    Games: 96
    Assists: 32
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I know the subject is more about Rooney for England, but just saw this on Facebook which surprised me;

Sergio Agüero:

Wayne Rooney:

He's definitely had a renaissance over the past few years. Didn't know it was that good. What was that season he only scored 8 goals or something
  • Options

Sergio Agüero:

Wayne Rooney:

Not to put the stat down but it is slightly skewed by the 11/12 season where he scored 27. I think it's still 31 in 62 which is obviously still good.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Sergio Agüero:

Wayne Rooney:

He's definitely had a renaissance over the past few years. Didn't know it was that good. What was that season he only scored 8 goals or something
    He only had 11 PL goals in 2010-2011, but had 27 PL goals (34 in all competitions) the season before that.

His scoring record in the last couple of years has been incredible when you consider how much weaker United have been and he has also been sitting a lot deeper.
  • Options
    He hasn't really been sitting deeper, it's probably more of a freer role playing alongside RvP rather than him being the focal point of the attack. I also wouldn't say it is more incredible given Man U's weaknesses, their weakness last year and still this year is the defensive. They generally don't have a problem creating chances.

I'm not trying to put Rooney down, I think he's an excellent player. However, he isn't world class as a lot of people would want you to believe.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    What is world class? That term in itself is probably the most misunderstood or ill-defined in the game. There is no true definition. People talk about World XIs and stuff like that, but it doesn't really matter if someone is 'World Class' or not. Its about whether they work for that team and how they fit into that structure. Very few players could achieve at Man United what Rooney has achieved.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

What is world class? That term in itself is probably the most misunderstood or ill-defined in the game. There is no true definition. People talk about World XIs and stuff like that, but it doesn't really matter if someone is 'World Class' or not. Its about whether they work for that team and how they fit into that structure. Very few players could achieve at Man United what Rooney has achieved.

I think World Class can be defined as best player in the world at that time in his position. For me, Ronaldo, Messi, Ibrahimovic, RVP are all better players. If you want to count Bale as a forward he's ahead of him as well. Probably Suarez, Neymar, Muller also and Aguero
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cafctom said:

I think World Class can be defined as best player in the world at that time in his position. For me, Ronaldo, Messi, Ibrahimovic, RVP are all better players. If you want to count Bale as a forward he's ahead of him as well. Probably Suarez, Neymar, Muller also and Aguero
    Agree with that. Also someone who can change a game single-handedly. Rooney can't do that.
  • Options
    Come on there must be at least 10 million women worldwide over the age of 70 who have enough of a pulse to use the internet or work a smart phone...
  • Options
    He's not been the same since 2010 ish...
  • Options

cabbles said:

cafctom said:

Agree with that. Also someone who can change a game single-handedly. Rooney can't do that.
    That's the issue I have with our players in general. Look at Lampard. Great record, hats off to him for breaking the Chelsea goalscoring record from midfield, can't say better things about him for doing this. But for me, you have to compare him to the Spanish midfielders of his era like Xavi, Iniesta etc. Not as good as them. Not to say he isn't a damn fine player, but that is the benchmark for me.