Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Super League Grand Final - Knock-out Punch

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I think the reason rugby seem to 'get away' with this kind of thing more than other sports is because players accept that it is happens due to nature of the sport, and will try to minimise any 'carry on' after the game. Hohaia said afterwards he accepted Flowers apology and that should be the end of it.

Then look at last season in the Leicester v Northampton Premiership semi final (Union), Ma'aafu punched Tom Youngs, gets sent off, but then afterwards had the following twitter exchange:

@TomYoungs87
    Follow
    @SalesiMaafu good shot mate, go well in the final. #rocky

SalesiMaafu @SalesiMaafu
    Follow
    @TomYoungs87 cheers mate. The jersey can overcome us in the heat of battle. I owe you a pint. #respect

I dare say you don't get that fellow respect between players in football, and if a serious incident happened on a football pitch the words coming out afterwards would be a slanging match rather than peace offerings.
  • Options

I think the reason rugby seem to 'get away' with this kind of thing more than other sports is because players accept that it is happens due to nature of the sport, and will try to minimise any 'carry on' after the game. Hohaia said afterwards he accepted Flowers apology and that should be the end of it.

Then look at last season in the Leicester v Northampton Premiership semi final (Union), Ma'aafu punched Tom Youngs, gets sent off, but then afterwards had the following twitter exchange:

@TomYoungs87
    Follow

SalesiMaafu @SalesiMaafu
    Follow
    @TomYoungs87 cheers mate. The jersey can overcome us in the heat of battle. I owe you a pint. #respect

I dare say you don't get that fellow respect between players in football, and if a serious incident happened on a football pitch the words coming out afterwards would be a slanging match rather than peace offerings.

People don't typically punch each other in Football.
  • Options

@TomYoungs87
    Follow

SalesiMaafu @SalesiMaafu
    Follow

Id put this more down to the fact that Rugby players are completely off their tits.
  • Options
    To be fair you can't watch a football game these days without someone feigning injury in a ridiculous manner in the hope of getting an opponent sent off. One of the sad facts of life in pro football. "part and parcel" as the pundits would say. If a football player decked an opponent he would get a red card and a ban of how many games? Three isn't it?

We are on here because we like footy but let's not get with the holier than thou arguments with other sports. We have things to learn from rugby but I am not sure the opposite is true apart from the fact that too much TV money going to too few clubs can ruin professional sport - which does look like happening in rugby union and they won't see it.

The only other thing I can think of is that rugby union needs to understand that a player can play for a French side and also play for England. I have no idea why the ban on doing so is not illegal under EU law.
  • Options

To be fair you can't watch a football game these days without someone feigning injury in a ridiculous manner in the hope of getting an opponent sent off. One of the sad facts of life in pro football. "part and parcel" as the pundits would say. If a football player decked an opponent he would get a red card and a ban of how many games? Three isn't it?

We are on here because we like footy but let's not get with the holier than thou arguments with other sports. We have things to learn from rugby but I am not sure the opposite is true apart from the fact that too much TV money going to too few clubs can ruin professional sport - which does look like happening in rugby union and they won't see it.

The only other thing I can think of is that rugby union needs to understand that a player can play for a French side and also play for England. I have no idea why the ban on doing so is not illegal under EU law.

Would never happen in Rugby Union......

• Options
    Love both games, they are different, comparison is pretty pointless.

Yes an assault is an assault, but its bound to happen in Rugby due to the physical nature of the sport, heat of the moment reaction to foul player real or not will always lead to flare ups
  • Options
    The police shouldn't waste their time on this. They need to focus their attention on the behaviour of the so-called sportsmen in boxing matches - they're always trying to hit each other, thus setting a terrible example for any youngsters watching.
  • Options

@TomYoungs87
    Follow

SalesiMaafu @SalesiMaafu
    Follow

The next tweet said 'sorry mate love to continue this but I'm in the bar after the game, have been de-bagged and am having a turnip shoved up my arse. Will get back to you once they've finished and I've drunk my pint of piss as a forfeit'
    #myhousemasterwouldbesoproud
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i'd rather players feign injury than eye gouge, punch some one when they're knocked out and bite (with the exception of the obvious suarez!).

Rugby is played by cowardly thugs at the higher levels. It's still a quality game to play though.
  • Options
    That rugby incident had nothing to do with getting an opponent sent off. I think it is also fair to say you don't see it week in week out down the road at the Rectory Field. It was cheating because they were trying to get round a replacement rule. Cheating, in general, blights most sports, golf being an honourable exception. all that horrendous screeching you get in womens tennis is just a form of cheating. My point was that football doesn't have moral high ground here.

It may be just me but I have always hated seeing players deliberately feign injury even (or especially) when it's our player doing it. Nicky Bailey for example.
  • Options

i'd rather players feign injury than eye gouge, punch some one when they're knocked out and bite (with the exception of the obvious suarez!).

Rugby is played by cowardly thugs at the higher levels. It's still a quality game to play though.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Of course there are some genuine thugs who play the game (Jamie Cudmore, Calum Clark being 2), but there are nasty pieces of work in any game, and there have been plenty in football, Kevin Muscat, Pepe etc.

Due to rugby's physical nature tempers sometimes flare and things get out of hand, more so than a less physical sport (like football) but in the vast majority of cases it is simply tempers flaring on the pitch rather than someone going out to try and cause an injury.
  • Options

Bowyer was banned for 6 for punching Dyer and he didn't straddle an unconscious man and line up a punch to the eye
  • Options

Bowyer was banned for 6 for punching Dyer and he didn't straddle an unconscious man and line up a punch to the eye
    If rugby banned a player for six matches each and every time he hit an opponent they'd never be able to stage a match due to the inability to field a team.

• Options

If rugby banned a player for six matches each and every time he hit an opponent they'd never be able to stage a match due to the inability to field a team.

Might stop them from doing it then
  • Options
    edited October 2014

At lower levels, there might well still be a lot of thuggery going on, I don't know. At the highest levels, as in football, there are so many cameras covering matches and referees have so much leeway in ordering replays, that serious foul play is now very rare, players know that they can't get away with it. It's not been totally eradicated, nevertheless unpunished serious foul play is unusual nowadays
  • Options
    edited October 2014

At lower levels, there might well still be a lot of thuggery going on, I don't know. At the highest levels, as in football, there are so many cameras covering matches and referees have so much leeway in ordering replays, that serious foul play is now very rare, players know that they can't get away with it. It's not been totally eradicated, nevertheless unpunished serious foul play is unusual nowadays
    I'd argue that even at lower levels it as died out in the main part. I play competitive rugby most Saturdays and you very rarely see full on fighting these days. There may be a bit of handbags from time to time, but that's about as far as it goes. I imagine that is in part down to the fact that as you says Lincs, it is harder to get away with at the top level and that filers down through the levels.

Anyway, can't believe this debate is still going on. At the end of the day they are both vastly different sports, and both have aspects that the other can learn from.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

The police shouldn't waste their time on this. They need to focus their attention on the behaviour of the so-called sportsmen in boxing matches - they're always trying to hit each other, thus setting a terrible example for any youngsters watching.

No chance of Audley Harrison helping the police with their enquires then.