Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Newman - RIP

edited October 2014 in Not Sports Related
In the spirit of starting RIP threads for lost greats. One of the greatest. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7639614.stm
Just seen this on BBC - thought it was now! What an idiot...didn't realise it was long gone! Lots of BBC 'old' news stories seem to appear on recently read stuff!

Comments

• Options
    cafc-west said:

In the spirit of starting RIP threads for lost greats. One of the greatest. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7639614.stm
    Just seen this on BBC - thought it was now! What an idiot...didn't realise it was long gone! Lots of BBC 'old' news stories seem to appear on recently read stuff!

In the betting world you would be known as an "aftertimer" - perhaps we could call you an "afterlifer". Or even an "aftercharltonlifer". AKA Colin for short I believe.

RIP anyway.
  • Options
    .......so that was 6 years ago yes ?

If we are talking of true greats who have passed on http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7217342.stm
  • Options
    But his Pasta sauce lives on!!!
  • Options
    PL54 said:

.......so that was 6 years ago yes ?

If we are talking of true greats who have passed on http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7217342.stm

Oh yes. Beadle was definitely one of the best. A thoroughly decent bloke.

Although to some he could be irritating, I always found him funny. He was also one of the most generous men in showbiz - something which came fully to light after he had passed away and which he didn't shout loudly about. According to his Wikipedia entry (it's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Beadle if you're interested) it's thought that he managed to use his celeb status to raise £100 million for various charities.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Dear God I nearly shouted out Paul Newman has died to the bloody office.

My memory is not what it was.

Me too!
  • Options
    I didn't know Ronald Regan had died back in 2004 until I looked it up a couple of years ago. I was just sat there thinking, you never hear of him anymore, but can't ever remember him dying.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I didn't know Ronald Regan had died back in 2004 until I looked it up a couple of years ago. I was just sat there thinking, you never hear of him anymore, but can't ever remember him dying.

That's cos Paulie wasn't around to start a thread about him............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:

Curb_It said:

Me too!
    I did. As I was imparting this important news yesterday lunchtime something in my brain was nagging at me but sadly not loud enough to stop me appearing a proper plonker...
  • Options
    I have no idea where I was when Kennedy was shot.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Leaning out of a book depository window in Dallas by any chance?
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Leaning out of a book depository window in Dallas by any chance?
    I don't think so, I have a vague recollection of a small hillock and some grass though!
  • Options

Solidgone said:

Curb_It said:

Me too!
    I did. As I was imparting this important news yesterday lunchtime something in my brain was nagging at me but sadly not loud enough to stop me appearing a proper plonker...
    You never!! What was the reaction?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Solidgone said:

Curb_It said:

Me too!
    You never!! What was the reaction?
    Oddly enough surprise and a few "Oh that's a shame..."

Came back in about an hour later to be told I was several years out of date and had I heard about the Titanic...oh well, can't take yourself too seriously eh.
  • Options
    Tbh I started to tell the wife and stopped just in time, as I read down the thread.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Yeah I got caught out on an old story this way, by thinking there were riots going on again! I was wondering 'what's set them off this time?'. Why are these old stories suddenly being recently read!?
  • Options
    I had the opposite. For some reason I got it in my head that the actor Bruce Dern had died about twenty five years ago. After I got together with the missus we were watching the great film Silent Running and I mentioned that he had died young. About ten years later he popped up in a recent film, much to our surprise. Ever since then Mrs Algarve has always ribbed me every time he appears with "That Bruce a Dern, he's dead you know"...
  • Options

I had the opposite. For some reason I got it in my head that the actor Bruce Dern had died about twenty five years ago. After I got together with the missus we were watching the great film Silent Running and I mentioned that he had died young. About ten years later he popped up in a recent film, much to our surprise. Ever since then Mrs Algarve has always ribbed me every time he appears with "That Bruce a Dern, he's dead you know"...

Classic. This is a great thread for me because it's basically evolved from cafc-west mistakenly thinking the late Paul Newman had only just passed away, or passed again. To other lifers remembering other dead people that they hadn't realised had passed away previously, to Algarve calling time on those that are still alive.