Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sainsbury's Nectar Points Rip-Off

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sainsbury and Tesco have both been hit by the discounters and over the next few months will need to put plans in place to compete at a wider level than the traditional supermarkets. That will probably mean that "Brand Match" and Nectar will go, or in Nectar case change dramatically. Sainsbury do have plans to launch their own discounter in partnership, I believe.

• Options
    Similar things happen on mobile phone contracts increasing after you think you have a fixed price contract. Case of reading the small print.
  • Options
    CAFC don't accept AMEX :-(
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Huskaris said:

Stig said:

Nectar have always been awful value, even at the best of times. It's like that Sean Lock joke; I've been saving Nectar points for years, I've finally got enough to buy a small jar of honey. Personally, I use their marketing literature as a checklist of shops to avoid, because they are always ones that charge premium prices for bog standard products.

I have £105 worth of Nectar points. Took me about 8 months to get them. I live with my girlfriend, so just 2 of us. If you take advantage of their bonus deals, you can get a lot of nectar points very easily.
    Does your girlfriend award nectar points then?
    I like that idea - I wonder how many points I'm worth (apart from half what I was worth yesterday).
  • Options

We all know that loyalty cards and points are a marketing wheeze but when you get them anyway for shopping the way you choose to, there's nothing lost in taken them. However, Sainbury's have managed to make my blood boil today. In a moment of unaccustomed weakness I recently fell for taking a Sainsbury's Mastercard. I already have a Mastercard but the incentive was "triple Nectar Points for Life" if you used the card to pay for your shopping. The card duly arrives and I have spent over £700 on it in less than a month. This evening I received a throwaway marketing letter from Sainsbury's telling me that "Nectar is changing." Go on, guess? The piss-takers are only halving the number of points you get for every pound you spend! For every £500 you spend you currently get 1000 points worth £2.50 in credit to be spent in store. From April you will only get 500 points for £500 spent i.e. £1.25. so my triple points for life is suddenly worth only 50% more. Talk about scamming your Customers. Sainsbury's can stick their credit card. Just thought I'd share that and get it off my chest

Out of interest, did you apply for the credit card in-store or online?
  • Options
    Judging by the number of top of the range motors trying to squeeze into the Aldi car park every weekend, Salisbury's and the rest should stop trying to shaft their dwindling customer base at every turn and start offering good value and service for a change.
  • Options
    oops, should be Sainsbury's of course
  • Options
    They were queuing round the block at Morrisons this morning, then I found out Sainsbury's had a power cut. Early Christmas present for the manager. :-)
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

They were queuing round the block at Morrisons this morning, then I found out Sainsbury's had a power cut. Early Christmas present for the manager. :-)

Wrong thread ? ;0)

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Love Amex, particularly good if you transfer the points to Airmiles (or Avios as they're called these days). Their introductory offers are generally pretty good as well - spend X amount in the first 3 months and get enough points for a return flight to Europe. If you can be bothered to change every year, say from an AMEX Preferred Rewards to a British Airways then you can rack up a shed load of points on the introductory bonuses alone.

Don't start me on Avios!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

We all know that loyalty cards and points are a marketing wheeze but when you get them anyway for shopping the way you choose to, there's nothing lost in taken them. However, Sainbury's have managed to make my blood boil today. In a moment of unaccustomed weakness I recently fell for taking a Sainsbury's Mastercard. I already have a Mastercard but the incentive was "triple Nectar Points for Life" if you used the card to pay for your shopping. The card duly arrives and I have spent over £700 on it in less than a month. This evening I received a throwaway marketing letter from Sainsbury's telling me that "Nectar is changing." Go on, guess? The piss-takers are only halving the number of points you get for every pound you spend! For every £500 you spend you currently get 1000 points worth £2.50 in credit to be spent in store. From April you will only get 500 points for £500 spent i.e. £1.25. so my triple points for life is suddenly worth only 50% more. Talk about scamming your Customers. Sainsbury's can stick their credit card. Just thought I'd share that and get it off my chest

If you have the time and the inclination, I think you should consider raising a formal complaint with the card issuer (Sainsbury's Bank?) (If only because they are required to undertake specific tasks to comply and it will piss them off and cost them money).
    They appear to be in breach of the FCA's over-arching "treating customers fairly" requirement and more specifically "have not communicated with customers in a clear, fair and not misleading" manner and have, presumably, issued a misleading financial promotion: that is whatever advert/flyer/letter that persuaded you to sign up in the first place. It may be that they cannot rely upon whatever the small print might say as anything which suggested that the value of the offer might change should have been at least as prominent as the triple points for life promise.

If it is Sainsbury's Bank here is the person to contact:

Susan Wilkinson
    Sainsbury's Bank plc
    Haston House
    Redheughs Rigg
    South Gyle Crescent
    Edinburgh
    Midlothian
    EH12 9DQ
    Phone: 0131 338 2995

If you're going to complain, let me know and I'll provide you with the actual rule breaches to quote to piss them off even more.
    Cafcfan - I will do that and let you know how I get on - thanks.
  • Options
    These are free to enter loyalty schemes not major contractual arrangements.
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

Wrong thread ? ;0)

Please accept my apology and direct me to the correct thread - I will try to be more careful in future.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    PL54 said:

Exactly. You're getting something for nothing. These schemes cost a lot of money to run. Asda's stance is generally "why waste money on these schemes when we can reduce prices instead?"
  • Options
    F-Blocker said:

PL54 said:

These schemes cost a lot of money to run. Asda's stance is generally "why waste money n these schemes when we can reduce prices instead?"
    Whereas Tesco & Sainsbury's stance is data are very valuable indeed and these schemes allow us to obtain information on our customers which we can use to carry out targeted promotions.
  • Options
    Yes, it does allow data collection, but Sainsbury's obviously think it's costing them too much or they wouldn't be reducing the value of the points.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, Nectar halved the value of their points a few years ago and if they halve the value again, I will probably use Sainsbury's less than the other supermarkets, despite their branch being closest to where I live.

I don't have any particular loyalty and shop at Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asda and Aldi and I find that Sainsbury's customer service is the worst of all the supermarkets. They never seem to have enough manned tills open and it isn't always practical to use the self service tills if you have a lot of shopping.

Although I like Tesco's scan as you shop system best, I also like the Aldi system of putting goods into a trolley and packing them away from the tills. It always seems to take longer to pay for my shopping at Sainsbury's.
  • Options
    Cafcfan - thank you for the Sainsbury's Bank contact and the advice. They have now upheld my complaint and credited me with £50 against the balance on my card (which I have now returned). In fact, the contractual offer with the credit card was only double not triple points, so even worse and deliberate mis-selling by the agent as well as misleading by Sainsbury's.
  • Options

Cafcfan - thank you for the Sainsbury's Bank contact and the advice. They have now upheld my complaint and credited me with £50 against the balance on my card (which I have now returned). In fact, the contractual offer with the credit card was only double not triple points, so even worse and deliberate mis-selling by the agent as well as misleading by Sainsbury's.

Well, that's not bad - better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. And real money rather than nectar points is good anyway!
    Now, I just need to invoice for my 20% fee...... ;-) (Or a "like" would do - I come cheap!)
  • Options
    For what its worth it looks like they really have reduced the prices across the store...

Noticed a lot of stuff being a fair bit cheaper.