Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Private number plate

If you buy a private plate, say fr the DVLA, how long does the paper work take until you can legally put the plates on your car?

Comments

• Options
    That's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" type question unfortunately. There are too many variables.
    These are: Did the purchase happen via the DVLA web site or through one of their auctions?
    Is it going on a new unregistered car or replacing one on a car that's already registered?
    Did you buy it from an individual or from a commercial number plate seller? If so, was it on another vehicle or on a retention certificate?
    Are things more difficult now the DVLA has shut all their regional offices? (Answer: almost certainly, yes.)
    Will the DVLA ask to inspect the recipient vehicle? (If so this will add time.) They might want to do this if the recipient vehicle has some question marks about its history - was it a rebuilt write-off, a kit car or of a similar age to the number plate - you are not allowed to put a number on a car that makes it look younger than it actually is.

On the plus side there's no longer the tax disc to worry about!

If buying from the DVLA the confirmation of entitlement might take two weeks to arrive and then add some more weeks after that. Maybe another two to four?
  • Options

2 W33K5

Very good. Put this in the LOL hall of fame.

• Options
    MrsCat did one a short while ago. Seem to remember it was 1-2 weeks for number ownership to come through and 1-2 weeks for new reg docs. Probably 3 weeks from buying on the DVLA website to fitting on the car.
  • Options
    I found a great one for me, if only I wasn't out of work...
  • Options

Amy childs showing off her plate.

That plate cost her 80k!
  • Options
    I found a great one for me, if only I wasn't out of work...

Can't you look for EMP LOY1
  • Options
    If only I had a PEN 510 N!
  • Options

Amy childs showing off her plate.

She either had a blow out or she was giving one at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mark Morrison of 'return of the mack' fame tried to make his own plate but was quickly pulled by the police. Apparently they realised that MACK 1 wasn't a legitinate number plate. What a tool...
  • Options
    I think the answer is until they have transferred the number but, you can (or could) go down and do it yourself.
  • Options
    Here's mine, Mrs F bought me it for my birthday about 8 years ago
  • Options
    Nice
  • Options
    Yep, have met a few addicks in Perth with this bad boy
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I was standing on the balcony on the west stand upper one half time towards the end of last season when I looked down to see a fairly old (blue?) Rolls-Royce in the car park with a short number plate RD and a couple of numbers. Was it Roland? It wasn't a big flash one - similar model to this or maybe older.
  • Options
    Bollocks, wrong picture and the forum won't let me delete. More like this:
  • Options
    Reason I ask - my life is a bit empty at the moment and I was thinking of stalking him and it would be helpful to know what kind of car he drives.
  • Options
    No that was Reg Dwight's (aka Elton John). You can stalk him if you like?
  • Options
    No, I'm good thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard Collins had a plate with RDC on an older roller/bentley in dark blue. Might have been his.
  • Options

Richard Collins had a plate with RDC on an older roller/bentley in dark blue. Might have been his.

If it was his, it would have had a cushion on the driver's seat.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

That was the one. I was thinking Roland DuChatelet. Thanks. I can look for a more local stalking victim now, thus avoiding the need for inconvenient and expensive travel.