Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Help needed

Hi everyone need some help and thought this is where I would get the quickest response. I believe I am currently suffering with gout in my left toe. It's causing me agony and has done for the last 3 days. I'm unable to go to docs due to working mornings (can't call sick I run the bloody place) and unable to drive to a&e due to being unable to press the clutch and don't think I would be able to sit for 4 hours plus in a waiting room in this pain. Just wondering if anyone else has/is suffering with this that would be able to provide some advice on how to calm the pain or get rid as I have no clue!
Thanks all

Comments

• Options
    I've found the best over the counter drug to be Voltarol - Joint Pain. Also drink plenty of water and cherry juice is also good.

Prescription drugs are better though so I would advise getting to your GP as soon as you can - I keep a supply of Dicoflex and take it when I feel an attack coming on (which thankfully is rare these days).
  • Options
    There is a thread in this somewhere with good advice. As mentioned above cherries and water help. I also recommend bicarbonate of soda which I take instead of any medication
  • Options
    Dicoflex when you first feel an attack is very good. If you can, try to work/massage the joint a little to dispel the crystals (which cause the pain). Other than that, once you have an attack, I find there is little you can do to get rid of it until it clears itself a few days (normally) later.
  • Options
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/23839/gout

As a fellow sufferer I sympathise. It's bloody painful!

If and when you can see a doctor try and get hold of Naproxen and maintain a stock. I find it reduces the swelling and pain relatively quickly usually.

As others have said drink plenty of water.
  • Options
    No offence, but don't be a mug. Phone your surgery from work, and arrange to speak to a Doctor. You can get a prescription, and you will have a Chemist within reach of work. I can also recommend Voltarol, it works for me.
  • Options
    Diclofenac can buy over counter at boots. Drink cherry juice or buy cherries
  • Options
    Anyone think cherries may help?
  • Options
    Voltarol works for me.....and drink loads of Port ;O)
  • Options
    Thanks guys sounds like I should be eating Cherries then!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bakchat said:

Thanks guys sounds like I should be eating Cherries then!

Did it work?

Or are you still in the crapper?

• Options
    drink plenty of water. in the future avoid mushrooms, cauliflower and other foodstuff's high in purin's. job done.